December 2015 Moms

Lullaby help

spottedgingerspottedginger member
edited October 2015 in December 2015 Moms
I read a study this morning that singing calms babies better and keeps them calm longer than speaking to them. Then it occurred to me that I don't really know or remember any lullabies. I guess baby won't care that I'm mostly tone deaf, but I need help remebering or learning some tunes. TIA
Edited for spelling.

Re: Lullaby help

• I find the song doesn't matter as much as the singing. DS loves it when I sing Elvis Presley tunes to him. Occasionally I toss in a little Elton John as well. Hubby hums the Army song since it's what he knows. My mom was never comfortable and read to my brother and I. Just go with what you know and like.
  • Loading the player...
  • kristen2b said:

When she was a baby I sang whatever came to mind. As she grew up she preferred baby mine from dumbo. And now it's her special song I'm not allowed to sing to anyone else.

Omg I can't even THINK about that song without choking up. It's a sweet song but that part is sooooo sad
  • You can sing whatever you like. I know a few Spanish lullabies from my childhood I sing to her already. Hopefully she remembers them lol! I also sing no doubt, Metallica, guns n roses, the cranberries, and Spanish rock songs lol!
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I'm a FTM but in the name of being a "good parent" I've read a few books, one I read was The Happiest Baby on the Block they basically say white noise and louder consistent sounds are comforting because the womb is so loud with our heartbeats, breathing etc. I obviously, haven't tested this theory yet but it is an intriguing thought.

Many of my friends children seem to choose some favorites that are just regular music. 

Putumayo Presents has a kids line with international lullabies (and "awake" music they call "playground") I am excited to try these when baby gets a little older. My brother and I loved Raffi (he sings Baby Beluga) when we were little and he apparently has recently released some new kids albums.
  • blended10 said:

kristen2b said:

When she was a baby I sang whatever came to mind. As she grew up she preferred baby mine from dumbo. And now it's her special song I'm not allowed to sing to anyone else.

Omg I can't even THINK about that song without choking up. It's a sweet song but that part is sooooo sad
    At the time when I first chose that song, I had not seen Dumbo in probably 15 years. But now that it's our song and I've seen dumbo recently that part hits me even harder in the feels than it used to!!
  • Emily liked Edelweiss when she was little. I hummed it to her. So you don't even need to know the words.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• You could always Google lullabies and then go on to the iTunes Store and play the clip it's and see which ones you like.
  • When I was pregnant with my first son, I read somewhere that if you sing to your baby late in pregnancy, they'll remember it and it will have a calming effect once the baby is born. So, I sang Twinkle, twinkle little star. Sure enough, it would calm him if I sang it when he was a baby! Since the song is so short, I'd alternate between that and ABCs since they're the same tune to give myself a little variety - and both worked!
  • I sang anything that came to mind when my daughter was a baby, but one of my favs would be "You are my sunshine".  I even sing to baby in tummy now, mostly while I'm driving home from work so no one can hear me but him. I'll listen to any genre of music to sing to him but oddly enough he actually responds to metallica. 
  • The go to sleep song from Mary Poppins is good, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yC_voMY6kY

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• redfallon said:
    The go to sleep song from Mary Poppins is good, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yC_voMY6kY

I love this song, that reminds me I would sing "feed the birds" to my daughter. 

• I know this is a bit off topic, and I don't want to derail anything, but I think it does fit somewhat with the discussion. Around the time I had DS I saw these maternity necklaces that have a little chime that hangs low by the belly. I guess the idea was that they heard the chime through pregnancy as you move and once baby is born the chain is shortened so when they hear it the sound soothes them, times like during breastfeeding.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried anything like this?
  • I like the Rock-A-Bye series, they're mostly classic rock covers for babies. There are lullabies and playtime songs. There's a Pandora station for it.
  • Just be careful that they aren't songs they'll hear as adults.... Mom sang us some church songs, and though they're rarely sung now in church, whenever we do sing them, all 3 of us yawn and glare daggers at Mom! We're conditioned to become sleepy when we hear them!! "As the Deer", "I love you, Lord", "I come to the garden".....ugh!
  • I still sing "Make You Feel My Love" (the Adele version) to my almost 2 year old and it makes her calm down every time.

We avoided the white noise machines and stuff like that because we didn't want our daughter to become dependent on them in the long term. We just tried not to keep the house super quiet all the time and that seemed to work well.

• Anything Jack Johnson. Banana pancakes specifically. I sang that song a million time the first two years. I'm going to date myself here, shaw-na-na use to sing a song called something like "Good night sweetheart" and Elvis " I can't help falling in love" were staples at night
  • Don't feel bad, DH tried singing a nursery song the other night, but then gave up because he couldn't remember the words! I love @redfallon 's suggestions, Julie Andrews for the win. I'm just going to let her do the singing for me because nobody wants to hear me sing. Just ask the neighbourhood dogs. ;)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I kind of want to get some of these albums. This group turns adult music into lullaby/baby music.

• I sing Disney songs... Can You Feel the Love Tonight, Part of That World, Colors of the Wind :)
  • Saw this on Facebook this afternoon......
  • Like everyone has been saying, anything relatively down tempo will work, also there are plenty of youtube channels where you can re-learn all the kid songs that your baby is going to love in the next few years, like 5 Little Monkeys and Boa Constrictor.

My personal list of lullabies are Edelwiess from Sound of Music, Love Me Tender by Elvis, Always from Lilo and Stitch, and First Love by Adele (I intend to hum this one and play it on my kalimba, while LO is resting)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just pick something soothing now that you won't get sick of and sing it to baby. My friend is in theatre and worked on the Wizard of Oz while pregnant. Her kid is a year and a half, and Somewhere Over the Rainbow is like a magic sleeping pill for her!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker