March 2016 Moms

Placenta previa

Has anyone had experiences with placenta previa? I went to the doctor today because I was bleeding. The doctor said I have a very irritated cervix and ultrasound revealed I have a really low lying placenta which is weighing heavy on my cervix causing it to be irritated. I am really bummed at the thought of having a c section instead of vaginal but of course I'm happy baby is fine. Just wanting some feed back on what can happen in the future and if anyone knows if this can hurt the baby at all? Thanks in advance!

Re: Placenta previa

• Hi there. I experienced this in my first pregnancy. They did another ultrasound later on and were able to confirm that the placenta had moved up and away from the cervix as my uterus stretched and got bigger. Did your doctor tell you they would do this for you? Id ask if they can. It you are right, a healthy baby is what's most important. Best of luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• All he told me was be careful, don't do anything crazy and no sex ): but my job is all standing I work in a wearhouse and stand on concrete all day so I'm not sure if I should go off work early or not? I'll probably be going back to the doc tomorrow ):
  • Loading the player...
  • I would call him to confirm and explain your work situation. I think as long as you aren't lifting things and remain on pelvic rest (I was there with this pregnancy in the first trimester, so I feel your pain) you should be OK. But it would be best to have clarity from him. Hopefully as your uterus expands they can check the placenta location again. I think for me it was around 30 weeks that they checked, maybe 32? 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I was also told I had that at 16 weeks. My doctor said many women may start with placenta previa early on (40% I think?) but 95% of the time it moves up by the third trimester. If it doesn't by then, then she said they'd likely have to do a c section. How far along are you??
  • I had partial with ds1 but it resolved by 28 weeks. Hopefully yours resolves itself.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• I went in for my 20 week check and I have it as well. My doc said she's confident the placenta will move up as the uterus grows. But, of course if it doesn't, I'll be faced with a c-section :/ fingers crossed for you!
  • Yes keeping a positive mind on this. I'm 24 weeks and no sign of it moving yet but really hoping it does. Either way I want the baby to be healthy whether that means having a c section or not, I just hate when things don't go my way ): lol good luck to you ladies too!
  • I know two people who had placenta previa and with both the placenta ended up shifting so you might be lucky :)
  • They found out I had it on my 20 week ultrasound and when they did my last ultrasound last week at 25 weeks mine has started to move up away from cervix. My doctor didn't think mine would because of other problems I have but he did say most of them do move away from cervix in time. If it doesn't move a c-section necessary.
  • I'm right there with you. Was told at 20 weeks and here at 24 (I'm now 25) it hadn't budged. Praying to God it moves!
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I get to jump on this band wagon as well. I go for a recheck at 28 weeks. The dr. Did not give me any restrictions.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'll join, too! I had it at 19w and will check it again at 24w. (In 3 weeks). I was told no strenuous exercise or sex until the next check-up. Hoping our bodies all cooperate and those placentas move on up.

• Same here- was told no sex (boo!)
    February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm starting to feel like this is the "hot topic" in pregnancy. Like, there's always a "trend" - no lunch meat was like SO important for a while, etc etc. in which my dr has since said was blown way out of proportion, eat lunch meat if and when I want. I'm not saying the low placenta is not a problem, I fully recognize it can be if it doesn't move, and I send my love to all c-section moms. but it seems the chance of having one has always been there it's just more talked about now or looked at earlier in pregnancy or something . There's more of an emphasis on it. There's an article about it in parents magazine this month even. The more medical information we have the better,but this seems to be that a lot of women(myself included) where told about it and then it fixed itself. That's great, and I know it's typical, I'm just wondering if even putting so much emphasis on it in the beginning is worth it. We all have chances for anything to happen, but we don't thoroughly talk about them, even if their chances are similar to this.'Mine was 1.96 cm away from cervix at 19 weeks, and it "should have been 2.0." So I went back at 21 weeks and it measured 1.94. All the sudden 1.94 was close enough to 2cm, so they didn't want to check it anymore. But wait, it moved CLOSER!?! Then sono tech tells me dependent on how baby stretches the measurement can be different. She waited 5 min and it measured 2.5cm? I had 0 bleeding and they said uterus was growing up, versus down!?! Who knows. But no concern at this point. I get another sono at 36 weeks, so that will be my final indication, although I'm sure it will be very far away by then. I feel bad for anyone having this Constantly monitored, or anyone whose doesn't move. Just wondering if this is a new trend that is worrying moms more than needed.
  • In my 1st pregnancy, I had complete placenta previa. Mine never moved. But-- I was the rare 5%.  After doing many months/years of research -- 95% of ALL previas will move before delivery. Even if it doesn't, chances on having a healthy normal baby is very very likely like me. My previa baby is 5 years old now and the whole experience is a bit of a blur even though it was pretty crazy while I went through it. He was born at 35.5 weeks and was 6lbs :)

Let me know if you have any questions!
  • I don't think it's a "trend" per say. I just think that we as a society are more informed and Doctors seem to be sharing more information with pregnant women, so we're probably hearing more about it. I don't think it's a bad thing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I was told I had previa at my 18 week scan, but when I went in after a car accident at 19w4d, it was already out of the way. Shocked the crap out of my doctor, it seemed. I had been really concerned because my placenta is also anterior which obviously isn't ideal for c-section deliveries, but it's most likely not an issue now and the previa isn't at all.

At this stage, I wouldn't be too concerned about delivery and all of that. Something like a third of pregnancies see previa at this stage but only 5% of those still have it by delivery time. I think it's just something they see more of now since there are more ultrasounds done earlier than there used to be. Had I had my anatomy scan at 20 weeks, I would have never known it had covered my cervix at any point.
  • Bump
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Ok so I'm on week 3 of being diagnosed with PP at 19wks...I'm on my 3rd pregnancy so I'm not naive to the aches and pains of gestation by any means. However, I am experiencing severe aching and heaviness in my pelvis and vagina. I can barely roll over and when I stand for any length of time it gets worse. Now, I experienced this with first two but not till the last few weeks so I'm starting to worry. Anyone experience this...should I be concerned or does this just kinda go along with the PP?? I know the consensus is no bleed, no prob but most days it literally feels like LO is on the verge of coming out. I know the pressure of baby can cause water to break in PP also so, just worries me.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers