February 2016 Moms

Seasonal work need advice

Thanks ladies for taking your time to read this.Early September I got into a car accident where someone hit my car and it forced me to be unable to walk for several weeks severe headaches and a few other problems.Our little baby seems to be doing well at this time!! I have since improved greatly but my physio and Doctor still don't want to me return to my other work duties as a waitress. They feel as if th walking and lifting on my feet for 8hrs just isn't a good idea! Idon't want to start maternity leave yet as it will take away from the one I have with my baby.(I live in Canada where I'm entitled to a year off ) I really need money and have been looking for seasonal work starting end of October -mid January . Is it wrong if I don't at first disclose of my pregnancy . I still have a smaller bump and really don't want my pregnancy to affect my chances of getting hired.I'm due February 12th,thank you !!

Re: Seasonal work need advice

• well in the US it's illegal to not hire someone because they are pregnant. I'd just make sure that you can perform the job functions. I would suggest retail but that's probably going to be just as bad as waitressing on your body.

Maybe an office job that could work may be at an accounting firm that needs help leading up to year end? Again my knowledge is based off of US time frames but the filing deadline is in April so I don't know if it's the same and if they would be ok with you leaving before then but if the laws protect the same that might be a place to get temporary office work.

I was only about 7 weeks when I took my new job but I definitely knew I was pregnant and found out that a lot of women change jobs during a pregnancy. You're not alone! Totally jealous of your year off with baby though...

*Kate*

February 2016

• Agree with PP, retail will be just as bad as waitressing. I'm currently a waitress and have a lot of pelvic pain. I decided to pick up a host shift last night and realized it was less the running around and more the standing aspect. I was in just as much pain after a 6 hour shift of hosting as I was with a serving shift.

My best advice is to look for temp work because seasonal work is typically going to be more of a retail setting. I'm thinking desk assistants, something more like that, where the permanent person may be on leave for a few months. But it's all about timing so hopefully you can find something that allows you to leave in February.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Loading the player...
  • I would probably disclose just in case you need other accommodations either from your accident or your pregnancy (ie if its a behind a counter position can you sit in a chair and handle things?). Since it's seasonal I wouldn't think it would matter much of them worrying about you leaving after the season is up. I'd look into cashiering or a floral department, I think those you would be able to sit and not do much physical activity!
  • Thanks ladies ! I have taken all your advice into consideration and actually just heard I got hired for a seasonal retail job in a smaller store where I get guaranteed breaks and am able to sit durin slower times which will be perfect for me !
  • congratulations and good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD