January 2016 Moms

Planing a natural birth

So I am planing on going medication free. The hospital I will be delivering at however does not have a birthing tub so I will have to use a shower. Has anyone ever used the shower during labor, and does it work as good as the tub would?

Re: Planing a natural birth

• I was in and out of the shower at home before heading to the hospital with both my med free births. I had a jacuzzi tub I used with my first but found the pain too intense where I couldn't relax enough in there. I preferred being able to lay down during transition when things got really narly vs being in a tub where if I completely let go I'd drown. Just my personal preference. I'd much prefer being in and out of a shower but that's what I find most comforting when I'm sick or in pain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I did a natural birth with DS and had a tub in my hospital room that I barely touched.  I got it in it earlier in the day when the contractions were mild, but once they broke my water and it got real I wanted nothing to do with the tub and I preferred walking around or laying in bed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a med free birth at a hospital with dd. They don't have tubs and I am pretty sure even if they did, I wouldn't have wanted to use one. I am personally not a bath person, the idea of sitting in a tub of water while laboring sounds awful to me! I don't think I would have liked a shower during labor either. I was mostly in and around the bed, squatting at the side of the bed a lot during contractions. Maybe you could look into a birthing ball or bar as an alternative.
  • Also planning a natural birth, but I'll be at home with access to both. This is my first so not sure what I will want at the time, but I think either will bebeneficial. I know several people who were excited for a water birth, then found when they were in labor it wasn't really what they wanted. I wouldn't worry aboutnot having one, use what you've got! Just make sure you are in a place that is supportive of natural birth so you don't have to fight to be 'allowed' to use a shower/change positions etc when you are in labor.
  • Had 2 natural births and my tub at home was great. I was in and out all day, but I love baths. By the time I got to the hospital I was too far along to care or use one.
  • I pushed my child out my vagina. That's natural right? Was suppose to push them out a different hole? ;)
  • I'm planning on being in the bath tub/shower at home until I have to head in to hospital. I've always going the shower more comforting though. But I hate having wet hair since it's so thick. So maybe I won't care to. I'm a vbac. So I will have to wear a fetal monitor in hospital, so no water. But they do have water proof monitors on order! Let's hope they get there in time before d day. I want to avoid any drug interventions and have a vbac.
  • I had a med free birth with my daughter and stayed home till 2-3 minutes apart. Got to hospital at 7cm. I used the shower at home for 3 hours. I have, like others, always found the shower more comforting. I'm not sure about a tub. They now have the option at our hospital which is cool, so I may try. I then used the shower at the hospital for the rest of the 3 hours I was there till I wanted to push. I would think a tub of water would get chilly as well? I think having a shower no matter what will be helpful to you.
  • tdart14 said:
    I pushed my child out my vagina. That's natural right? Was suppose to push them out a different hole? ;)
    We don't poop them out? That's what my 8 year old niece told me. She presented herself as an expert!

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• MammaDoc said:

tdart14 said:

I pushed my child out my vagina. That's natural right? Was suppose to push them out a different hole? ;)

We don't poop them out? That's what my 8 year old niece told me. She presented herself as an expert!

Surely your niece has her wires crossed @MammaDoc ?! My 4yo niece told me just last week that babies come out of the scar on mummy's tummy! Makes complete sense! ;) bless them!
  • Another option would be getting an inflatable jacuzzi so its portable so it is an option for you.