January 2016 Moms
Options

Alcohol in baked goods

Guys I am having a moment. First off, I made a personal choice to not drink at all during my pregnancy. This weekend I had my baby shower which was amazing and they had 2 kinds of yummy cupcakes. I mentioned to the friend that held the shower that I have eaten like 7 of them and asked for the flavor since it was so unique and she said it was champagne. Apparently the cake is cooked with champagne and the icing is made with champagne oil. I am in 100%panic mode since I ate so many of them. Any one have any experience with alcohol in baked goods, and what exactly is champagne oil????

Re: Alcohol in baked goods

• Options
    I don't know about champagne oil, but any alcohol in the cupcakes would burn off in the cooking process
  • Options
    The champagne oil is champagne flavoring, similar to a peppermint or lemon oil used in baking. Not all of the alcohol would have baked off in the cupcakes but most would have. I wouldn't worry at all about the alcohol harming your baby. I would be more concerned about the serious blood sugar spike from 7 cupcakes!! (But indulging like that once also won't harm your baby)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also am choosing not to drink but I think you are probably totally fine (in my non-medical option). I just Googled this recipe

https://www.bakeitwithbooze.com/2013/11/champagne-celebration-cupcakes-with.html?m=1

For 16 cupcakes with champagne in the cupcake, a filling added after baking and the icing it is less 3/4 cups of champagne - I think a full cup is like the equivalent of 2 glasses of champagne, so someone that ate 8 of these cupcakes would have had like a glass of champagne (ignoring the fact that the amount in the cupcake batter would probably bake off) -- so it doesn't really seem like very much.

I have no idea what champagne oil is but I doubt it's like a shot of champagne.

I know what it is like to worry. Just call your doctor and have her tell you you are fine rather than obsessing.
  • Options
    KimberlyainKimberlyain member
    edited October 2015
    Thankfully it was 7 over a 3 day period not all at once;) thanks so much for the info @chrissyd1203 and @jeanbug12!!!!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry at all. Really. 
  • Options
    Echoing PP - don't worry!  The amount of alcohol you ingested is probably super minimal.  :)  Though I do find it kind of hilarious that someone would bring a snack with alcohol in it to a baby shower, of all things, without mentioning it to the mom to be!  ;)
  • Options
    Baker here :D

Most alcohol used in cooking like previous posters have written evaporate off during the cooking process. If she used Champagne in the batter most of the alcohol should be gone but the point is to infuse that flavor into the batter. Even if she did actually use champagne I can't imagine it being much because the batter shouldn't be "liquidy" . Champagne oil in the icing would of been a few drops since it is an intense aroma and flavor like Lavender Oil (for example) . has anyone seen that Facebook post about "lavender lemonade" all you need is around 4 drops of lavender oil to get that lavender taste. Same for the Champagne oil... Just a few drops should of done it.

I don't believe any of this would have had a negative effect on baby but... I personally wouldn't of made champagne cupcakes for a baby shower for that reason you posted. Some women may be uncomfortable about the feeling of eating something with alcohol in it.

Matter of fact I actually do use a lot of wine while cooking at home. White wine and red wine to make sauces. You are supposed to reduce the alcohol until it's almost evaporated and then pour another liquid, usually stock, to form a great tasting sauce. :)

Hope this helps in making you feel better. Dont worry!
  • Options
    Just ate some delish Pasta sauce made with vodka. I'm pretty sure there was no longer any vodka in it after simmering, and likewise I wouldn't worry about the cupcakes!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your help. I feel much better though I think I wil move on to eating all the rest of the leftover red velvet cupcakes now ;)
  • Options
    I just Googled and after simmering for two hours, there is less than 5% of the alcohol you started with. I would assume baking leaves less since there is a more equal heat distribution, even though cupcakes are baked for less time. Plus there can't have been more than a cup in all of the cupcakes combined.
  • Options
    Now I want champagne cake!