3rd Trimester
Options

Can't have any baby showers due to bed rest :*(

I'm pregnant with girl twins and last week at 25 weeks pregnant, doctors got really concerned that all of a sudden my cervix got really short (1.8cm with funneling) and put me on bed rest for who knows how long (probably until delivery day). I'm going to be 27 weeks this week. I had to cancel one baby shower of mine for my side of the family because of this and my husband's family was still trying to plan one and hasn't picked a date yet, but it looks like that isn't going to happen either.

The fact that I'm not having any baby showers at all really depresses me. Has anyone here been in the same situation and what alternatives did you do?

Re: Can't have any baby showers due to bed rest :*(

• Options
    I meant to say two weeks ago at 25 weeks I got a short cervix, not last week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    A friend's mom threw her a shower while she was on bed rest. She just did it at her place and she sat comfy on the couch the whole time. Don't know if this is an option for you or not. Is your place big enough and would you be comfortable them hosting at your place is the question?
  • Options
    My baby decided to make an appearance 2 days before my shower. I was still in the hospital and my family didn't want to cancel plus it was too late to cancel anyway. SO went in my place and a friend recorded the event so I could watch it later.

You don't have to miss out on a shower because you are on best rest. You could do what pp suggested and just have it in your home and rest on the couch. You could also have your husband go to the shower for you as the guest of honour.
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately my bed rest requires no sitting because then that would put pressure on my cervix (plus I'm already experiencing pelvic pressure when I do sit down because I'm carrying one of my twins so low that sometimes I feel like her sac is going to burst...her head is on my cervix actually). If I did have to have a baby shower, I would have to be lying down the entire time. Unfortunately my priority is to make sure these babies make it to term (or near term) and then have a "meet the babies" party when they are a few months older:
  • Options
    Could you Skype in?
  • Options
    I love the meet the baby party idea, so much fun, and no party stress... You will get there, and your girls will be worth it, and you never know what will happen, maybe your bed rest will be lifted around 35 weeks and you can have a shower then, right before your ladies arrive?

For now plan a post baby party... :-)

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Options
    No reason you can't have a baby shower with the babies in attendance ;) it would make it all the more fun.
  • Options
    My sister was on bed rest and we still had her shower. She had to stay on the couch for most of it but it was still super fun! She got permission from the doctor and we just brought everything in near her. Don't miss out, you'll be so sad. I had to cancel my bridal party due to a family emergency and I am still bummed about it.
  • Options
    My friend who was on bed rest most of her pregnancy had a shower after her baby was born
  • Options
    I have been on complete bed rest since 22 weeks (28 now) and basically couldn't care less about the baby shower! It was disappointing at first, but like you (and others) said, babies' and momma's health are #1 right now. I think focusing on that will really help you with the mental part of not getting a shower. You can do any of the above though (small group coming over to visit you now even with you laying down, or a welcome babies party later on) if you want! Personally I am not going to be doing that because I think once the baby comes I will care even less about the shower haha, life is going to be so different afterwards :) I definitely feel ya though, bed rest is hard enough without thinking of what you're missing out on, but hang in there and keep those little buns in the oven!
  • Options
    Wow what made them put you on bed rest ?
  • Options
    JoJoMama730JoJoMama730 member
    edited November 2015
    I was in the same boat with my first pregnancy with DD.  I didn't want a big ordeal anyway for a shower, but it was a sad thought that I might not be able to have any celebration at all.  My mom ended up throwing me a fairly impromptu and small shower at her house with 8 of my friends, towards the end of my pregnancy (around 36 weeks I think), when my OB took me off bedrest.  At 36 weeks, the OB was going to let labor progress on its own rather than stopping it.  So that's one option for you to think about.  Have a shower, but have it really late in the pregnancy. 

• Options
    Skype in! And have a representative open the gifts and show you. That way you can also have a good conversation with each person. :)