Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Feeding

Hello, my baby is 10 days old and I pump every 4 hours and give her the bootle I find it easier for both of us.
I give her 2 Oz Per feeding but all day today she has only been taking 1 oz per feeding is this normal?

Re: Feeding

• Options
    How often are you feeding?? How much milk are you pumping per day? A 10 day old still has a pretty small tummy and wont need much per feeding. But id be concerned that every 4 hours may not be often enough this early to establish a good supply for the future.
  • Options
    How many feedings? I also don't see pumping every 4 hours getting you enough of a supply to last very long. To establish a good supply actually nursing you need a solid 10-12 feedings a day at that age and babies are much more efficient than a pump. You are only doing half that. If you don't up it, I can say with almost certainty you are going to have supply issues once it regulates in a few weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feed her every 2-3 hours.. And eveytime I pump I get around 4oz all together.. And she won't take my Breast so that's the reason I only pump.. Do you guys think I should start giving her formula as well?? Like 1 time formula and 1 time Breast milk??
  • Options
    annaw14annaw14 member
    edited October 2015
    Getting 4oz each pump is pretty good for the baby only being ten days old so I don't see any need to give formula at this time if you want to continue pumping and giving breast milk, but like others said pumping more frequently would be good for your milk supply if possible. I exclusively pumped and bottle fed breast milk til my son was 5 weeks old and we were able to get a better latch, now I'm just breastfeeding. When I first started out my lactation consultant advised me to try and pump 7-8 times a day, usually no more than 3 hours in between pumps.

And yes the baby only taking one ounce per feed at this age is normal because her tummy is still very small, she just may eat more frequently and the amount she takes will start increasing as she grows.
  • Options
    annaw14 said:
    Getting 4oz each pump is pretty good for the baby only being ten days old so I don't see any need to give formula at this time if you want to continue pumping and giving breast milk, but like others said pumping more frequently would be good for your milk supply if possible. I exclusively pumped and bottle fed breast milk til my son was 5 weeks old and we were able to get a better latch, now I'm just breastfeeding. When I first started out my lactation consultant advised me to try and pump 7-8 times a day, usually no more than 3 hours in between pumps. And yes the baby only taking one ounce per feed at this age is normal because her tummy is still very small, she just may eat more frequently and the amount she takes will start increasing as she grows.

All of this.
  • Options
    Each day that passes by my milk supply gets lower.. Today I was only able to get 2 1/2 Oz when I pumped! I feel so stressed Idk if I should start giving her formula or not
  • Options
    riosv said:
    Each day that passes by my milk supply gets lower.. Today I was only able to get 2 1/2 Oz when I pumped! I feel so stressed Idk if I should start giving her formula or not

You can if you want to OR you could talk with a lactation consultant and find ways to increase your supply. You could even ask on the BF board.

To some women breastfeeding is the most important thing and they will try just about anything to make it happen but if you don't want to do that then just supplement. It takes a lot of work to make BF'ing happen and you have to WANT to do it. It's entirely up to you and nothing you choose is wrong or bad for your baby. She has to eat, right?

• Options
    I agree with the PP's. If you want to supplement with formula that is fine! Whatever works for you, just keep in mind the more you supplement the more your supply will dwindle. To keep up and increase supply you will need to pump more often. Breastfed babies will eat less ounces per day then formula fed babies. It usually caps out around 4oz per feeding an average of about 25oz per day for babies 1month to 6 months because breastmilk changes to meet your babies needs as it grows. My baby is 2.5 months and will usually take between 2 and 4 oz with a bottle. As long as baby is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers, seems content and is gaining weight then what she is getting is enough. Good luck!
  • Options
    Agree with all of the above !! Maybe she was just sleepy that day? Mine definitely has times where he's a hungry hippo and some days where he's not all that interested in finishing his bottles.

As far as dwindling supply, it could be your supply just adjusting to your babe's current needs.. If you decide to stick with it then just keep up your pump schedule. Before returning to work I would pump every 3-4 hours. Sadly now I only have time to pump 3x(occasionally 4) a day.. My LO will be 3 months tomorrow and I'm somehow keeping up with him and able to add a bit here and there to the freezer.

You do whatever feels best for you guys, it sounds like you're doing great! My first two weeks or so I could pump wayyyy more than he needed, but now I pump just a little over a day's worth a day. It really is just about how you feel. Exclusively pumping is majorly time-consuming! I wish you the best whichever way you go! :\">
  • Options
    Sorry about the creepy smiley! My pudgy fingers hit the wrong one! Haha
  • Options
    It's hard to keep up with pumping! I'm also down to 3 or 4 daily and the rest formula, slowly weaning before I go back to work. DS is a little monster who at 6 weeks was drinking 4oz breastmilk and screaming for more then nursing for another half hour. Didn't have a supply issue but got exhausted keeping up with him! If u can handle the pumping keep it up but if it's exhausting it's ok to supplement and back down to what is more doable for u. There's no bonus points that you earn for stressing yourself out.
  • Options

It's hard to keep up with pumping! I'm also down to 3 or 4 daily and the rest formula, slowly weaning before I go back to work. DS is a little monster who at 6 weeks was drinking 4oz breastmilk and screaming for more then nursing for another half hour. Didn't have a supply issue but got exhausted keeping up with him! If u can handle the pumping keep it up but if it's exhausting it's ok to supplement and back down to what is more doable for u. There's no bonus points that you earn for stressing yourself out.

You mean the gold stars I was promised is a lie?!?! =((
  • Options
    It's clear I shouldn't try to hit the emojis. Hahahaha, sorry again!!