December 2015 Moms

To those who have already had their baby showers ...

2»

Re: To those who have already had their baby showers ...

• @sbodman82 same here! I took a lot back to Walmart and Target last night, everything was clothing that was not on my registry. I was so blessed to receive a ton of high quality, basically new hand me downs from friends so I desperately need diapers and everyday essentials. I felt bad returning the items but the lady at the return area said it happens all the time, that people love to buy clothing. Speaking of, does anyone know who sells fisher price clothing?
  • Loading the player...
  • *lurker* we had a really nice lady at Kohl's give us a hint - you can take stuff back here without a receipt and do an even exchange (lots of carters stuff came from there without receipts). They let you go look in the baby section and pick something out that is listed at the same price. So we had some outfits that were listed as $24 and we got more receiving blankets listed at $24. without the even exchange we would have gotten like $5 she said
  • I got a few gift receipts for gear presents but no receipts for clothes. We did get a couple duplicates on the gear, but those things came from the registry, so I can return them. I've also heard that many stores allow you to add things to your registry (that you've gotten at the shower) and mark them received so then you can return basically anything the store sells. Is this right? Is it even a necessary step?

I did this with items I purchased myself (my shower isn't until after baby arrives so there have been some things I've purchased for between when he's born and the shower) so that items weren't purchased that I already had. I'm not sure how it would work after the shower for returning, but in some situations it might be useful? Maybe if you are having multiple showers? My experience was with babies r us.

• I have never had a baby shower (this is my 9th baby anyway lol so it doesn't matter now) but bf had a baby shower thrpwn for him sunday. And most gave gift receipts. I wasn't invited or there, but the women who went made suure he had gift receipts. Which is good because he got like 6 packs of nb diapers and we need to exhcange a few for bigger sizes.
  • Come to think of it, I actually didn't get s gift receipt for the bouncer I wanted to return. But I know where it came from and was bought off my registry and I know the exact store it came from so hopefully they will still let me? We got a BUNCH of 3-6 month clothes and hardly any newborn. And I know a lot of people say you don't need a bunch of newborn clothes, but we're talking like not enough to last a week and we don't have the luxury of doing laundry in our own apartment so I'm looking to have enough to at least last a week with the unexpected poop explosions, throw ups, a leaky diaper - stuff like that. I'd like to only have to do laundry every weekend when we wash our clothes since we have to pay. Oh how I miss my own washer/dryer! Lol

@VesperLove We got 2 pairs of the same outfit, but they are different sizes so we decided to keep them. They are adorable!
  • My registry information wasn't included with my shower invites, and my invites were sent out super late, so most people gave clothes. No gift receipts. I am fine with this. I've had a difficult time choosing baby clothes anyway, so I'm happy other people chose for me. I can see how this would be a problem for some people though, and I always include gift receipts when I give a gift. 
  • Very interesting to hear all of your input, ladies!
  • bekaadams49bekaadams49 member
    edited October 2015

No receipts or gift receipts and only two people shopped off my registry and no one bought me anything useful. No bibs, burp cloths, receiving blankets, bottles, sheets, or diapers. I got a lot of toiletries, pacifiers and keepsakes. My parents and mother in law did an amazing job purchasing my larger items (car seat and swing). Fortunately I had a few family members who could not attend ask me what I did not get and I was able to point them in the right direction as to what I need, so hopefully they will buy some of those items, otherwise it looks like I will be shopping for everything else.

I'm grateful for the items received they are cute and I won't bother returning anything as I really don't have clue where most of it came from. But I have said it before and I will say it again, I just don't see the point in a registry because no one ever looks at it. I wouldn't have bothered if my hostess hadn't threw a fit for me to make one.

• My shower is on Saturday so I'm curious to see how it will go. I always shop off a person's registry that way if can be returned or exchanged if need be. Why not buy them something they want/need as opposed to a gift they might not get any use out of? Especially if this is their first child, they need necessities and staple baby items not a zillion blankets or whatever. And when I do purchase clothes for someone, I will buy them larger sizes (like 9 months for example) because people automatically seem to wanna buy 3-6 months.
  • My shower is this weekend. Thanks for giving me another thing to stress about. lols, jk. I am excellent at returning shit. My aunt had me go with her to return stuff that wasn't off her registry, because I got that sweet southern hospitality that will make you feel inhuman for not helping. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had someone tell me that they are giving me a gift, that they know I don't want, and that I can just return it. 

• I had someone tell me that they are giving me a gift, that they know I don't want, and that I can just return it. 

When WHY BUY IT FOR YOU!? I just don't get that.

When WHY BUY IT FOR YOU!? I just don't get that.
    I was told that I must be given a physical stroller, but that I can return the one she gives me and get whatever I want instead. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. I just left it alone after that. 

What is wrong with people?!? Lol let me just buy you a gift you don't want/need so I can put you thru the hassle of trying to return it.

They should just get you a gift card if they couldn't decide what to buy.
  • @BellaM110 I don't understand it either. I've decided to just say thank you and to plan what I can exchange it for that I need. Sounds terrible, but I'm trying to be realistic.

• BellaM110 said:
    My shower is on Saturday so I'm curious to see how it will go. I always shop off a person's registry that way if can be returned or exchanged if need be. Why not buy them something they want/need as opposed to a gift they might not get any use out of? Especially if this is their first child, they need necessities and staple baby items not a zillion blankets or whatever. And when I do purchase clothes for someone, I will buy them larger sizes (like 9 months for example) because people automatically seem to wanna buy 3-6 months.

If you get the larger sizes, at least get what will be in season when the child is that size, right? ;)

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I received one gift receipt for the body wash and lotion I had registered for. Thankfully, all the multiple items I received where things I could use and the clothes ranged in size from a few newborn to 2T. If I had been given a ton of one size or multiple big ticket items, I'm not sure how I would have gone about taking them back.
  • BellaM110BellaM110 member
    edited October 2015
    redfallon said:

BellaM110 said:

My shower is on Saturday so I'm curious to see how it will go. I always shop off a person's registry that way if can be returned or exchanged if need be. Why not buy them something they want/need as opposed to a gift they might not get any use out of? Especially if this is their first child, they need necessities and staple baby items not a zillion blankets or whatever. And when I do purchase clothes for someone, I will buy them larger sizes (like 9 months for example) because people automatically seem to wanna buy 3-6 months.

If you get the larger sizes, at least get what will be in season when the child is that size, right? ;)

@redfallon Of course!! :D
    I can't remember who it was but one of the other posters had said she received a Christmas outfit that was sized for like 9 months or something so it would have been in the middle of summer by the time her baby could fit into it. That made me LOL. People just don't think sometimes when buying gifts.
  • I didn't get many gifts off of my registry and only a few gift receipts were provided. I think 3 at the most out of 36 gifts!
  • Just an idea so you dont have to pack up all the items and see if they came from that store, use the stores registry app (if they have one). For Babies R us and Target you can scan the barcode and if its from the store it will add to your registry, then when you go in just have them scan ur registry number and the return is simple. Just make sure the prices they are giving you arent too low of course, Babies R Us tried to give me $1.50 for an outfit. I ended up just keeping it, but other than that item I haven't had a problem. Hope this helps!
  • Target is awesome about returns. I returned something from amazon and I opened it. They carry it so she scanned it and gave me $40 store credit! Just check their site to see if they sell what you want to return :)
  • I have definitely learned not to give clothes for baby shower gifts!!! I always give friends/coworkers gifts even if they are not having a shower or they live too far away. I used to just send them 50$ worth of clothes from Carters, now I know better!

Getting swaddlers for these winter babies has proven to be an excellent gift. Gave three of my friends swaddlers and all have said they have been miracles for their babies. :) I always include a reciept though. :) Just in case baby hates it.
  • athora80 said:
    Target is awesome about returns. I returned something from amazon and I opened it. They carry it so she scanned it and gave me $40 store credit! Just check their site to see if they sell what you want to return :)
    We must have a particularly difficult Target here. Returning things is a nightmare! If both Target and Walmart carry it, I'm attempting to take back to Walmart first because they are much, much easier to deal with.
  • Just an idea so you dont have to pack up all the items and see if they came from that store, use the stores registry app (if they have one). For Babies R us and Target you can scan the barcode and if its from the store it will add to your registry, then when you go in just have them scan ur registry number and the return is simple. Just make sure the prices they are giving you arent too low of course, Babies R Us tried to give me $1.50 for an outfit. I ended up just keeping it, but other than that item I haven't had a problem. Hope this helps!

you are brilliant! I was so worried about having to do returns without a receipt!
  • I didn't get any reciepts with my gifts luckily the few gifts I need to return are from walmart where I wont need a receipt since they will put it on a gift card which I will use to buy a few things I need for baby still
  • I had a good amount of gifts from my registry. After reading some of these comments I'm super grateful for those that I DID get. :) But I did get quite a few things that are useless with no receipts. I received 2 receipts, one from a sweet single guy friend of my hubby's, who bought everything off the registry, but still gave the receipt. The other was for some books, which I had specifically asked for receipts on the babylist registry comment when I asked for books, since I started my book collection a long time ago. I returned one thing that I got doubles of (& wasn't on my registry!) since I found it at BabysRUs. The other things I can't find at any store, so I'm not sure what I'll do. I might try to sell on craigslist, or I'll donate. :) People do LOVE to buy cute baby things. I do hate the idea of them spending money on things that can't/won't be used, but I think it's ok to return if you can for things you will actually use.