Baby Names

Baby girl Cosima? Or Luna?

edited October 2015 in Baby Names
Our first daughter has a "celestial" themed name. We want something that goes along with the theme without being too cheesy about it, like Estrella.

So we were thinking Cosima for daughter number two, arriving soon. Cosima pronounced kuh-SEE-muh and is the feminine form of Cosmo. It means beauty and order.

What about Luna? Or Astrid?

Thoughts?
Ugly, pretty?
Confusing?
Etc.

Also, we are a mixed family, half Mexican, half white. So we need a name that fits both English and Spanish and sounds almost the same in both. Cosima in Spanish is traditionally Cósima, with the accent on the first rather than middle syllable. But that's close enough for us.

Thanks!

Re: Baby girl Cosima? Or Luna?

• I dont like it at all...............Use Celeste! what is your daughters name?
  • I like Celeste! But her cousin is Celeste and we visit them almost every weekend. :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Luna. For sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Luna is pretty but seems too "out there" for me. Not sure if it's just because it reminds me of the Harry Potter character or what. I kind of like Cosima, especially with your family background.
  • Not a fan of Cosima.  Luna is better, but still NMS.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Luna

What about Stella?
  • lm45678lm45678 member
    edited October 2015
    Definitely Luna of the two, Agree with PP on Stella
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I like Stella too!
  • I find all of these names to be NMS. What about Sophia?
  • I like Luna, but I am not sure about the strong connection with the Harry Potter character (I have nothing against HP, but others may only have that experience with the name).

Just suggestions for another name is Tara (pronounced THAH-ra). It is an Indian name meaning star. But this is also an Irish name with a different meaning and pronunciation. There are lots of Indian name with star and moon meaning, but Tara is not too exotic.
  • I like Cosima, but I have heard it before.  I think it might be a name that has to grow on you a little.  Luna reminds me of Harry Potter but is otherwise pretty.  Agree with PP that Stella also is a nice name but increasing in popularity I think.
  • No offense at all, but I think they're all horrid. 
    Of course, it's your baby - not mine, so go with what you like.  

Of them all, I dislike Astrid the least.  It was the name of the lead character in White Oleander, which is a movie I adore.
  • Estrella is my favorite name ever!!! It's so pretty! Choosing from the other two I guess Luna, although I personally don't like the HP reference. Also, not that it matters to you at all but I named my first car Luna (I was 16, judge away).... I hated that car.
    I'd be very interested to know your other child's name.
  • I like Cosima, I've heard it before but its been a real long time and I wouldn't think she would share her name with a bunch of other girls in her class.
    Another night sky option (tho I don't know how well it will fit into Spanish culture) is Diana (goddess of the moon)
  • I like Luna well enough, but I actually like Cosima quite a bit, particularly with your heritage. I actually like the Spanish pronunciation better than the Anglicized version, and would consider leaving the accent in. I don't think it's too complicated for English speakers to figure out, the sounds are all simple.
  • I like Cosima and Astrid. I don't dislike Luna, but it definitely has a Harry Potter connection that you need to decide if that would bother you.
  • Our first daughter has a "celestial" themed name. We want something that goes along with the theme without being too cheesy about it, like Estrella.

IMO, Luna is probably the most obvious and cheesy of a celestial theme. I like the other suggestions, which are of varying degrees more subtle.

I really like Astrid.

And Còsima is a beautiful name. I don't understand why you would try to use an alternative pronunciation. (Maybe I am misunderstanding entirely, and that's the anglicized version?)
  • What about Selene? It means moon. Or Selena, if you prefer. I've always had a personal weakness for Aurora, which means dawn, and I'm sure a lot of people would think of aurora borealis . . . a positive if you want a celestial theme. :) Esther or Stella would also be pretty and they both mean star.

Of your options, I prefer Luna.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • What about Haley, like the comet?
    Anniversary 
  • nlwz123 said:
    Not a fan of Cosima.  Luna is better, but still NMS.

THIS!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I LOVE Cosima. I believe the singer Beck named one of his kids that, and I loved it when I heard it.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• I know Cosima from Orphan Black.  They pronounce it the same way as you do on the show, so I'm guessing that's the standard, Anglicized version, but the show's Canadian, if that makes any difference. I think it's rare enough though that you could go with the Spanish pronunciation without causing much confusion and it sounds nice.  It definitely grew on me over time on the show.  I think it's a nice option.  Astrid is ok, but I always think of the office when Michael said Astird.  Ass-turd is not a good nickname.  Luna is ok, but a little too out there for my taste.  
  • Thanks all for the valuable feedback!!
  • edited October 2015
    Cosima threw me off a bit and I adore Luna as its on my personal list (but showing up a little bit too popular for my taste.)
    However i was literally just looking at this list which could be helpful: https://nameberry.com/list/362/Celestial-Baby-Names

I love Celestia and Bellatrix too.

• @ usernametaken1 I like all 3. We are also a mixed family white and Guatemalan. Astrid would be my first pick though. Its a nice traditional Spanish name. Cosima might lead to confusion at school and such with pronunciation. We were going to name our daughter Nayeli and people couldn't seem to grasp concept of spelling and prounciation. So we are reconsidering for that reason.
  • Of the 3, I like Astrid. But I do like PP's suggestion of Stella.
  • Love Luna and Astrid. Stella is just okay. Cosima is nice, but really not my style at all.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Out of the two that you asked about first, I like Luna. But between Luna and Astrid, I like Astrid (I know a little girl with this name, and although it threw me off at first when I met her at the age of two, she is ten now and I think the name is pretty awesome). 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Cosima is too out there for me. I'd never pronounce it right.
  • I like Cosima, like pp's have said, it' works with your background!
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • If Selena is an option, I think that sounds best.

• I like Cosima, it's unusual and pretty, but not difficult to pronounce.