March 2016 Moms

Whooping Cough Vaccine

2»

Re: Whooping Cough Vaccine

• My husband just told me his mother doesn't want to get it.I do live in an outbreak area which is why all the doctors are adamant about caregivers getting the shot. 
    This seems to be a common reaction of grandparents lately. I'm not sure what we are going to do. My husband wants to tell her she can't see the baby until he gets his first round of vaccines at two months. 

That's rough. My mom ran out to get hers and MIL said she would but hasn't yet to my knowledge. I am not going to force it, but I will be adamant about all visitors washing hands, using hand sanitizer, watching for signs of the sniffles, etc. and I won't feel bad at all for enforcing those things. If someone is or appears to be sick at all before baby gets all of his vaccines, then they don't get to get to close to baby. I don't like to hurt people's feelings, but those are things I feel strongly about so I have an inkling that feelings will indeed be hurt (MIL is ALWAYS sick).

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• I'm just glad that he will be the one setting the boundaries with his parents. I hope she changes her mind since she volunteered to watch the baby when I go back to work. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband got his yesterday and the pharmacist really pushed for him to encourage the grandparents to get the shot too. 
    My parents own a toy store, so germy kids come through every day. They are getting theirs done today!
    I'm not going to ask anyone else to get it. I feel like it's not my place to tell them to get a shot before seeing baby. Especially since no one will be spending extended periods of time with baby. Just normal visits. 
    We will have hand sanitizer around the family room at home though. I plan to force everyone to either use that or wash their hands as soon as they walk in the door! 
  • There are only 2 immediate family members who have not yet gotten theirs..... my in laws. I am a medical provider and we had several cases in our community last year.... my FIL drives a school bus and MIL is a sub teacher.... they are exposed to all kinds of cooties and I'm not ok with it. I did put my foot down and they WILL NOT be allowed at hospital without having the shot. My baby = My choice. 
    I know it sounds harsh but it just is what it is.... everyone else readily and happily agreed to get theirs. ... and did (ouchie)....
  • So, I'm scheduled to deliver on Friday, and my OB never suggested the dTap. A. I work in pediatrics and received a booster right before I conceived, so is it necessary or should I be ok? And B. If I should get it, would it even do any good this close to delivery?

I really should read these forums more... :/
  • @FutureMrsMummert - you should be good. The booster is good for 10 years. Ask your OB to be sure. 
  • So, I'm scheduled to deliver on Friday, and my OB never suggested the dTap. A. I work in pediatrics and received a booster right before I conceived, so is it necessary or should I be ok? And B. If I should get it, would it even do any good this close to delivery?

I really should read these forums more... :/
    I think that even if you are up-to-date on your boosters, they recommend getting the tdap shot during pregnancy not so much for yourself, but to pass the immunity to the baby as they can't get their own immunization for a couple of months after they are born.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016