August 2015 Moms
Options

Sleeping through the night

Has anyone gotten their 10week old breastfed baby to sleep good at night? My baby now weighs 12pounds and was told the "magic weight" was 11pounds.

Re: Sleeping through the night

• Options
    My 8 week old baby will tease me with a 6-7hr sleep stretch one night then wake up every 2-3 hrs the next. He is ebf . My daughter was breastfeed too and didn't consistently sleep through the night until 4months old. I think it just depends on the baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lol "magic" weights don't exist. My oldest was up 3-4 times a night till around 14 months old then started sleepting through the night between 15 and 16 months. My 10 week old has been sleeping through the night (meaning a 6+ hour stretch) almost every night since I started letting her when she got above birthweight at around 3 weeks old. Neither has ever had a drop of formula or took more than an ounce our of a bottle. Every baby is different.
  • Options
    My daughter has slept 6-7 hour stretches from the time she was 2 weeks old (doc said it was fine since she was gaining a perfect amount of weight) and she is still a great sleeper at almost 6 weeks old (sunday) I hope it stays like this haha!
  • Options
    My 10 week old little peanut is just hitting 11 lbs now, if that. She sleeps from about 9-3 or 4 at night. Then gets up three hours after that for the rest of the day.

I guess technically that means STTN but to me I don't consider getting up at 3:30 AM sleeping through the night LOL. I also don't go to bed when she does. She started this routine about 3-4 weeks ago.

There is no magic age or magic weight unfortunately. But all three of my children were only waking up once by the time I went back to work at 3 months so that is at least bearable. When they actually started sleeping through and not waking up at all varied them and still, at 8 and 4 years old, is a crapshoot! ;)
  • Options
    I don't believe that weight has anything to do with it. My lo has been STTN for about 4 weeks, he's 10 weeks now. He sleeps from 8-930. Then I do a dream feed and he sleeps from 10-730.
  • Options
    Magic weight? my baby was 10 lbs 8 oz at birth and has been over 11lbs for awhile. He is 7 weeks old and not sleeping thru the night....I wish there was a magic weight!

• Options
    It's pure luck. My first and 3rd babies STTN by 6wks (7-11hr stretch). My second baby didn't STTN until 11 months. All were/are EBF.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    My LO has been STTN since 6 weeks (he's 11 weeks tomorrow) and he still only weights 9lbs 7oz. There is no correlation between STTN and anything. It will happen when it happens, every baby is different.
  • Options
    Absolute luck. I call bullshit on all of those "sleep training" manuals/books. A baby will STTN when their ready. It is absolutely pure luck. My son took over a year to STTN no matter what we did (and e tried almost everything except CIO). DD has slept through the night for weeks. It will happen just give it time.

^^Absolutely. Baby will start sleeping more soundly and for longer periods on their own terms. We are 8 weeks 4 days and the last week and a half we have gotten through the night consistently, before that it was a gong show. I fully expect there to be many more gong shows as I don't have any faith that this will last forever. There will be a growth spurt or a leap that throws us off - in fact I dread the upcoming time change because I know it will likely throw us off. However we will get back on track and it will work out - be patient - it will happen. :):) 
  • Options
    Agreed with PP there is not special "training" or weight. It depends on your LO. Mine started sleeping through the night at 3 weeks old, I did nothing special, that is just how he is.
  • Options
    My guy is 11 wks today, 16 lbs, and didn't sleep longer than 4 hr stretches at night until last night and the night before (9-5 and 9:30-5). He is still getting restless a couple times for his pacifier, but settles back down once he has it.
  • Options
    My first was 2 whEn she started sleeping through. We tried all sorts of things including sleep training, some things worked but only for a few days or a week. We hit a new low while on holiday just before her second birthday When she had a major sleep regression, then when we got home again she started STTN, and it kept happening! We still can't quite believe it 8 months later. I agree, it's just a matter of luck.
  • Options
    Amen! Luck!

My first didn't STTN til she was in her own bed. Rather than in my room in a crib. She was up every 1.5 hours for months

My second has slept consistently from 8-3-4 am from birth pretty much, except during a wonder week. Then I get up 1-2 times on top of the usual time. I won't complain. I think swaddling helps us, because the times I didn't swaddle her she was up a lot. Thank goodness for halo sleep sack swaddles and woombies!!!
  • Options
    Don't think it has anything to do with weight. With our first he was about 8 weeks when he was sttn. This baby has been sttn since we stopped waking her to eat at 2 weeks. She usually eats at 10/11pm and then sleeps until 9am and she is ebf.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Baby girl has been sleeping completely through the night for the last week. She sleeps from about 9:30pm-9am. Truthfully, she probably would've been sleeping through the night much earlier but I was getting up and feeding her when she did her 7am stirring/whining. She wakes for a couple of minutes and then falls right back to sleep. I was mistaking it for her being hungry so I would let her dream feed.
  • Options
    I was doing the same thing as far as feeding when he would wake in the night. Then I switched to just patting his back and he would fall back asleep! I also switched him back into his rock n play at night versus his arms reach cosleeper and he slept from 9-530 this morning!! I'm thinking there was too much open space for him to be comfortable? Hopefully he continues sleeping good in the rock n play because he is cozier.
  • Options
    My baby has been sleeping a good 5 house at night since about 6 weeks. She's now 8 weeks
  • Options
    brinbribrinbri member
    edited October 2015
    Oh man! I wish, 9lbs 8oz and 10 weeks and we are still up every two hours some nights every hour. He is a horrible sleeper :'(. I occasionally get 3-4 but only when I get fed up and DH gives him a formula bottle.

• Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones. L has been sleeping 5-6 hrs a night since we came home from the hospital.
    During his growth spurts he still gives us 4 hrs.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well.