May 2016 Moms

GTKY: Crafty Mommas

Does anyone else in here have a favorite craft/hobby? Any plans to make anything for your new LO?

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
DD born 7.27.2014
BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

Re: GTKY: Crafty Mommas

• I love to crochet! I plan on making something matching for DD and the new baby. Maybe giraffes or blankets or something like that. I think someday maybe they'll have fun having matching toys!

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014

• I love paper crafts and event/space design! My family and friends let me do all their parties and I love it! I can't wait to design my shower and get craftin'. Also looking forward to re-decorating and designing our apartment for LO's arrival.

I also love antiques. Mainly antique pharmacy glass, miniature houses and wooden fruit/veggie crates. I actually had a booth at the Brooklyn Flea Market for a while, and may go back this winter. Designing my booth was my favorite of the whole experience!

I'm thinking about trying my hand at knitting or crochet but I've never tried it. Any book recommendations that can teach me how?
  • Loading the player...
  • @LadySamLady I would love to do event design! I feel as though I have pretty good ideas in my head but they never translate well haha.

I was taught how to knit/crochet by my grandmothers, but I was young and forgot quite a bit of what they told me. I was able to reteach myself using different websites and videos! For crochet, there is a great series of YouTube tutorials called The Crochet Crowd. :)

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014

• I wish I could knit... I tried when I was pregnant with DS and failed miserably.

I don't know that I will have much time to do crafty things for this LO but for DS I had nothing but time. I made him a blanket (with a sewing machine- and it did not come out perfect but it is OK), I also made a name sign for his room, a foot stool and a mobile.

I know I'll eventually make this one a stool since that is pretty easy and probably the name sign but the mobile and blanket took forever. I'm in school now and work full time with a 14 month old... I just don't know when I will have time.

• I love to diy-- more sewing and upholstery sorts of projects. I made a bunch of stuff for DS, but don't have many plans yet for this baby since we'll room share for a while until we have another bedroom to work with (we're renovating slowly but surely). Once we find out the sex, I'll probably make a blanket and a few clothing items. I'm a planner, so it's a little weird for me to not be able to plan out a nursery and projects for this little one yet.
  • I'm crafty. I plan on making a lot of things, maybe even some baby clothes out of my old clothes. I mostly paint with my craftiness though, so we will see.
  • I crochet- I plan on making a mobile once we have the nursery ready to get set up- right now it's a storage room. 
  • Loom knitting.  Our LO is going to have a billon hats and booties lol

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • beff12beff12 member
    edited October 2015
    @kbrands7 I'm having the same planning issues! Poor second child is going to be in a nursery/office/craft room :( I feel bad that he or she won't have his/her own room, but we have to make room where we have it. Hopefully I can have one adorable wall for the baby haha

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014

• I love painting. As soon and we know the sex and pick out a name, I am going to be painting ALL of the things.
  • I crochet. I actually have an Etsy shop where I sell headbands, scarves, baby blankets, etc. I made DD a blanket and will do the same for this LO once we know if it is a boy or girl. I sew a little too but prefer crocheting. It is much more portable, can watch TV while working, etc.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• I do Etsy too, @countrygrl5533! I found myself making all these things and it was way too much for DD. I like to always have a project going so I've enjoyed having orders!

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014

• I love knitting and sewing! I usually make DD's Halloween costume every year, but this year I am lacking motivation and energy. I also made tons of bows for DD when she was smaller. I started a blanket last winter and never finished it so I might try to pick that back up soon.
  • I love crafting! I loom knit, knit, sew and do paper crafts. Though I don't know if I'll have anytime seeing as I work two job. It takes a lot not to fall asleep during dinner these days!
  • I crochet so once future LO will definitely be getting a blanket from me. My mom made one for my sister, my brother, and I when each of us were born so guess I need to keep that going. I also cross stitch, same as with the blankets my mom made cross stitch Christmas stockings too so I plan on doing that too. I knit as well, but badly. I need to get back in practice, but probably over the holidays when it's not 5 billion degrees out.

I dabble in a bunch of other things when the mood strikes, but I've been cut off on new craft hobbies for awhile by DH bc my supply collection is out of control. Lol.
  • I've started crocheting a blanket for LO and I'm also doing a new one for DD so she doesn't feel left out. I'll probably make a hat too.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I also crochet. Hats, scarves, headbands, blankets, mermaid lapghans...pretty much anything! I'm sure I will make this baby something but not quite sure what. I saw an adorable pattern for cute little boots that I can't wait to try so probably some thing like that.
  • I made two blankets and some burp rags for DD so they will be used for this little one instead. I also recovered a chair and made curtains for the nursery. Depending on if it's a boy or girl I may have to recover the chair again. I also started a really neat mobile for DD and am planning on finishing it before May for this little one :)
    I loom knit as well and I can whip out a hat in no time so I'm sure there will be plenty of those (not that they will need too many in May).
    TTC#1 January 2013, BFP 7/4/13 MC 8/7/13 D&C 8/22/13
    BFP 5/20/14 CP 5/26/14
    BFP 12/6/14 DD Born an Angel on 7/17/15 at 35 weeks
    An Angel in The Book of Life
    Wrote Down Our Baby's Birth
    And Whispered as She Closed the Book
    Too Beautiful for Earth...
    TTC#2 August 2015 BFP 9/10/15 EDD 5/26/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @nay09 good luck with the boots. I started a bajillion pairs of booties for DD and couldn't get a single one to turn out right haha. I have some sort of mental block with them apparently!

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014

• No crocheting or seeing in this household. That's a talent I can't manage. However, I do scrapbook. I have over 50 albums and am planning on getting a head start on Baby W's album soon! I go to a weekend retreat twice a year that is also a drink fest for the ladies involved. It will be virgin drinks and plain pudding shots for me this year!

My albums are pictures below (hopefully)
  • I love to crochet, knit and sew. I usually have a project on the go but lately I haven't really been in the mood to knit. I was going to buy some yarn this weekend to start a baby blanket and sweaters and things but I might wait to find out the sex.  I think that will happen in December so I will likely start around then. I am however not looking forward to having a blanket on my lap mid summer while I crochet it . . .
  • I'm jealous of the scrapbookers. I've bought stuff and tried to get into it so many times but I just can't. The stuff for our wedding album is actually still sitting in a box in the closet. I'd really like to get something started for future LO but I feel like history will just repeat itself.
  • Any scrap bookers out there have advice for someone just starting out? Maybe equipment you feel you must have or maybe a good scrapbook blog you look at? After researching I feel overwhelmed with all the info. I have always wanted to start but I never managed to and I would love to make a scrapbook baby book for this little munchkin.
  • Kurrant said:
    Any scrap bookers out there have advice for someone just starting out? Maybe equipment you feel you must have or maybe a good scrapbook blog you look at? After researching I feel overwhelmed with all the info. I have always wanted to start but I never managed to and I would love to make a scrapbook baby book for this little munchkin.

Get one of the kits that comes with some of the basic stuff you will need.  A kit will usually come with the album, the big background sheets, some regular paper, stencils, embellishments, etc.  You'll need glue sticks and a journal pen and scissors.    Do your first one with that to learn.  Then hit up the craft stores and/or specialty stores.  We have a scrap booking store here where I live that is nothing but scrap booking stuff.  It is a scrapbooker's paradise.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Thanks for the tips @nerdymama15 I think I might just do that and start with something small and simple before tackling the baby book and messing it up. I might have to order a kit through Amazon. Not sure the smaller craft stores in NZ will carry them.
  • schicksalschicksal member
    edited October 2015
    beff12 said:
    Does anyone else in here have a favorite craft/hobby? Any plans to make anything for your new LO?
    If it counts I designed and did the all of the actual labor for rebuilding our house except for a couple of things that weighed far more than I can carry (I am also one of two guys here). 40% of the place is complete, closer to 2/3 by the time May gets here but the remaining third are areas where less work is required and that can also easily be closed off so no one can get into trouble. I'm sort of a closeted designer, I really like modern and was lucky enough to get married to someone who also enjoys it.

Specifically for the baby, I'll probably need to refinish my old crib. My grandmother's bassinet is missing part of the platform it sits on so I'll need to carefully examine old pictures and recreate that as well. The wife is in charge of decorating the nursery. She's also making a blanket but judging from the size this will be for her.

edit: hey, my profile picture broke. What's up with that? The dog is gone and he's been replaced with flowers?
  • Kurrant said:
    Any scrap bookers out there have advice for someone just starting out? Maybe equipment you feel you must have or maybe a good scrapbook blog you look at? After researching I feel overwhelmed with all the info. I have always wanted to start but I never managed to and I would love to make a scrapbook baby book for this little munchkin.
    I'll add to what @nerdymama15 said and suggest you make your first scrapbook very specific. Scrapbook a big day, like your wedding, or a vacation so that your thoughts are focused. It can get overwhelming to scrapbook a grand idea when you're first starting out.

I love to craft. Sew, knit, crochet, cross stitch, scrapbook, graphic work, refinish furniture, paint.... basically I'm in heaven at Hobby Lobby (although I'm trying to convert to Michaels). I'm really frustrated that I won't be able to refinish some of the furniture I want to do for LO's nursery. I'll have to trust my H to get some of that work done, but I'm excited to learn the baby's sex so I can begin working on other projects. I'm just not quite motivated to start yet. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Kurrant said:

I don't actually scrapbook currently... But I used to work at a big name craft store in college. The advice we always gave new people was to pick something specific that they really wanted to do - even if it was just a page or 2. Starting out too broad always makes things overwhelming and then you want to quit. And don't be afraid to ask others for help - either in a store or online forum or somewhere. A lot of times people would buy things thinking they needed them and had no idea what they were for and ended up wasting money. If you ask others you will save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

FYI to anyone on here... My craft knowledge is obnoxious bc of working where I used to (7 long years - idk how I lasted so long in retail) so if anyone has questions there is a good chance I know the answer. Lol.
  • Kurrant said:

1. Kits are great until you get a feel for what you like. Your skills will evolve. I definitely don't scrapbook the same way I did 10 years ago, 5 years ago, etc.

2. Basics. Tape, stickers, markers, maybe a shape cutter to cut your pictures. Don't overwhelm yourself.

3. Look to Pinterest for ideas. I look at pages on there for the layouts but not necessarily the style of the page.

4. Journal! I never used to do that and now going back to remember all the little details is so hard!

5. Lastly, do layouts. Pick a page color and stickers you want to go with the pictures and lay them on the page. Proceed to the next. You can always change your mind about the things you chose, but having everything you need for that page (including memorabilia) makes it less time consuming when you only have a short time to scrapbook.

Hope this helps!
  • I crochet, but I suck at knitting for some reason. I sew a bit too, though I'm not great at it. I'm really confident in my crochet skills, however. I crocheted an amazing chevron-pattern afghan for my friend's daughter a while back and can't wait to make one for mine! I can do booties and hats, too. I don't know what colors we'll be using in the nursery, though, so until I have that discussion (read: argument) with DH, I'm not starting the afghan project. I think I should be fine if I start by January, though.
  • Crochet, sewing, antique shopping and bringing old pieces back to life. I plan to sew all of the crib sheets for LO and crochet some nice blankets of course. I also have some fun crochet projects involved such as stuffed animals, hats, booties and such. DH and I move across the country in December so I'll now have a full house to fill, so excited to go shopping for some old pieces that need a new purpose! My mom will be helping us move and she will be doing all of the painting that I can't do :)