September 2015 Moms
Options

Top 5 Tummy Troubles & How to Help

BumpCaitlinBumpCaitlin admin
edited January 2016 in September 2015 Moms
Now that baby’s here, you’ve probably spent more time thinking about poop and spit-up than ever before. (You’ve also probably spent some time cleaning it up and off of you. Ah, the joys of being a parent!)

Babies are prone to tummy troubles, which can often be concerning for parents. We’re here to help!
Click here to find out how to spot the most common baby belly problems and handle them like a pro. 

What tips do you have for helping with these issues?  

P.S. Let's take our friendship to the next level. Like us on Facebook 

Re: Top 5 Tummy Troubles & How to Help

• Options
    Watching what you eat.
    Some babies, like my own, have an issue with dairy products.
    I switched from drinking regular milk to Lactaid, and its seemed to help her a bunch.
    Some women has to completely cut dairy though.
  • Options
    If your baby like.mine has reflux at 5 weeks old it best to make sure you don't lay them down right away make sure head is elevated upwards for at least 20minas gravity pulls thing downwards, burping in between every once.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There's also a wedge you can buy to put in the crib that is safe for them to sleep one. My little one tends to eat fast and spits up so we got the wedge to help elevate her. It's amazing at night
  • Options
    babywaldheimbabywaldheim member
    edited October 2015
    I don't have a suggestion...I need suggestions!

My daughter will be 5 weeks old on 10/30....from birth to 3.5 weeks she was on breastmilk and Enfamil gentle ease formula for supplement bc I couldn't produce enough. She started showing signs of colic, so at 3.5 weeks, her ped put her on soy formula and prescribed colic drops.

The colic hours were 10pm-1am...after a few days...her late night colic subsided, she became constipated and started spitting up occasionally, not burping regularly, and is irritable after every daytime feeding along with irritable during the day...now, at 4.5 weeks, she is showing colic signs earlier in the evening....

WHAT ON EARTH advice does anyone have?!?! Waiting to hear from ped again...I've kept in touch with the nurse every 2-3 days and they are confused as well!
  • Options
    ahoneycutt12ahoneycutt12 member
    edited November 2015
    Check in to goat's milk formula it does not have the milk proteins like regular formula but normally doesn't cause the constipation that I hear alot with soy formula.

Update goat's milk formula is actually for when they get older atleast 6 months.
  • Options
    How do you know if you should change to it? What are the signs and symptoms to look out for.. Because it does seem like my baby does get more spitty and and a gurgle in her tummy when I drink milk.. I'm not lactose but her dad is,, could she be aswell?
  • Options
    @babywaldheim have you looked into reflux or silent reflux?
    If your baby shows discomfort when feeding, such as arching, refusing to feed and crying, it can be a sign of reflux. They may also frequently vomit or spit up and cough a lot, including at night, with no other sign of a cold. Other symptoms include:

Waking often at night
    Comfort feeding to help alleviate pain
    Weight loss or poor weight gain
    Excessive crying or irritability during or after feeding
    Regurgitation
    Silent reflux is harder to diagnose as the signs are not always there.

• Options
    hopiexox said:

How do you know if you should change to it? What are the signs and symptoms to look out for.. Because it does seem like my baby does get more spitty and and a gurgle in her tummy when I drink milk.. I'm not lactose but her dad is,, could she be aswell?

Are you BF'ing or FF'ing? If your formula feeding try switching to a comfort milk that's easier to digest for baby. If your breastfeeding try cutting out dairy & see how baby goes.
    It's possible that she may have some tolerance to dairy.
    My DD was diagnosed with silent reflux & she's now on an anti reflux milk. She doing so much better.
  • Options
    A dairy intolerance may actually be to the protein in dairy not the lactose so lactaid wouldn't help you'd have to drink coconut or almond milk. I had to cut all dairy from my diet as I'm BFeedkng my 11 week old son, made a huge difference. Of your FFeeding I'd try an amino based formula free of dairy or soy, easier to digest and free of allergens. Good luck and try wearing your baby in a wrap (I used Ktan) when fussy, calmed my son right down!
  • Options
    Baby boy is 6 weeks and EBF, but has had mucousy poo for over 2 weeks now. Was normal yellow seedy before, then turned green, loose, and mucousy. Pedi said not to worry, could be normal and would likely pass. Now it's yellow again but still loose and mucousy. I've tried block feeding to address a for/hindmilk imbalance and put him on probiotics. This got it to go back to yellow but hasn't helped the consistency. Has anyone found a good fix or cause for this? I was going to try to target food allergies next. Baby is otherwise happy and healthy. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    My LO has an allergy to the protein in cow's milk, not lactose. The doctor tested her stool for traces of blood to diagnose the issue. I went on a completely dairy free diet (not easy!!) and she is better. She's also on acid reflux meds. I would ask your pediatrician to check her stool.
  • Options
    I had a similar problem early on because I was breastfeeding and supplementing with formula. Our baby was never diagnosed with colic buy she has trouble at night for a week or so around the same age. We switched over to formula only and she started doing amazing. She started going to bed better and sleeping better during the night. Fast forward and she will be 3 months old on 12/21. She pretty much sleeps through the night and is a very happy and healthy baby! We have used the similac non gmo formula and have been very happy. The good thing about the formula is that it is consistent unlike our diet when we are breastfeeding. Best of luck and hope your little one gets to feeling better!
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. Oddly enough, I've just seen a second pedi for this issue and both have said it can be completely normal and unless there's blood or white stool not to worry at all about it. Not even to change my diet. Hard to believe that there's absolutely nothing wrong with this. It's interesting to me that it's more like "if you want to fix it you have to figure it out on your own," but here we are...