Poll: Daycare Food — The Bump
Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Poll: Daycare Food

Hello, I'm curious to see how much of a consideration the healthiness of food is when choosing daycares.

Here are menus from two different schools. There are degrees of healthiness in food, so I wanted people to weigh in on these two menus specifically and not bias anything with descriptions.

AND HERE'S THE POLL:

Please take a second to do the poll and feel free to leave any comments!

Re: Poll: Daycare Food

• There is an awful lot of canned fruit, processed foods, and juice in that second menu.

While it's not a total deal breaker for me, it would definitely give me pause.
  • That second menu is awful. My son's preschool serves super healthy foods, most of which he probably doesn't even eat because he's the pickiest kid on earth, but I'd rather he keep being exposed to healthy, non-processed foods over the crap that some schools offer. The menu would definitely be a deal breaker for me. No doubt about it.

My son's school only offers homemade, non-packaged foods, fresh fruits and vegetables and nothing comes from a can. No juice either. I love it.  

• I am not able to open the different menus, but if I have a choice I would pick the school with the healthier menu.  My kids school serves healthy meals and I know of a different daycare that serves crappy food all day.  This same attitude spills over into how well they care for the children.  The daycare that serves crappy food also gives less quality care to the children.  My kids daycare serves healthy food and really cares about the children.  I think there is a correlation between serving healthy food and quality care.  The type of food offered to your children is a component of quality care.
  • mrstraxmrstrax member
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    edited October 2015
    I also can't open the links, but in general, menu is way lower on my list than the level of care, how comfortable I feel with the teachers, cleanliness of the building etc. Menu may be a tie-breaker but it's not anywhere close to my biggest concern.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks to all those who took the poll. I found the comments insightful and thoughtful. Sorry if you couldn't open the links. I've attached the two menus to this post to get around that.

At my current daycare, the admin and staff are terrific in accommodating the food restrictions we place on our child (like no juice or cheese puffs). Most of the other kids get all the items on the menu (menu not shown in the links above). I do worry a bit about the possible clash when my child starts to realize she’s missing out on some yummier looking stuff.

Also the admin gives me heads-up if somebody brings in a cake for say a going away party. I am very appreciative of things like this and I don’t think every daycare would do this. Communication goes a long way. 

• dhsu25 said:
    Thanks to all those who took the poll. I found the comments insightful and thoughtful. Sorry if you couldn't open the links. I've attached the two menus to this post to get around that.

At my current daycare, the admin and staff are terrific in accommodating the food restrictions we place on our child (like no juice or cheese puffs). Most of the other kids get all the items on the menu (menu not shown in the links above). I do worry a bit about the possible clash when my child starts to realize she’s missing out on some yummier looking stuff.

Also the admin gives me heads-up if somebody brings in a cake for say a going away party. I am very appreciative of things like this and I don’t think every daycare would do this. Communication goes a long way. 

Communication is very important but are you saying you don't let your LO have cake on a special occasion?! ;)

• I haven't said no... yet =)
    But on an ice cream day, she got flavored ice instead.