Trying to Get Pregnant

Update....

As some of you know, yesterday I did a digital test and it came up positive. I immediately did another. Same brand. Negative. I spent all day stressing and googling and pretty much convinced myself that I was pregnant and it was just a problem with the second test.
I woke up this morning and did another digi, negative again. I'm devastated.

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/5a434d/">My Ovulation Chart</a>

Re: Update....

• Oh no I'm sorry.... What brand was it? Are digitals as sensitive? Did you try a frer or some other pink dye test?
  • It was clear blue, blue dye.. The digitally were called "Fora Digital test", they're a middle eastern brand which has a fairly good reputation.

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/5a434d/">My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Loading the player...
  • dabeezkneezdabeezkneez member
    edited October 2015
    I'm really sorry. That's such a horrible letdown.... I believe someone else also had an issue with a faulty test.
  • That is horrible! I am so sorry that happened to you. 
  • OP have you gone to your DR? Honestly, I would buy like 2 more tests and schedule an appt asap and take a test every day until the appt.
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• **lurker**
    When I got my first bfp it was a very faint blue dye. Ran out and got a pack of digis. First one was bfp. Did another a few minutes later and it was bfn. Maybe your urine is just really diluted? How many dpo are you? It's pretty impossible to get a false positive.

cat fail animated GIF

• KASG said:

OP have you gone to your DR? Honestly, I would buy like 2 more tests and schedule an appt asap and take a test every day until the appt.

That is a bit overkill.

OP - sorry you are going through this! Keep testing and good luck!

• I would retest, but not with a digi. If it were me, I would get pink dye tests. Your first digi may have somehow been more sensitive. You didn't say how many DPO you are, so perhaps it's still a bit early. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @marajay6 that's just what *I* would do. But I would also want to show my doctor my tests, especially if some say pos and some say neg. The point I was making was really to go to the doctor, not how many more tests she should do.
    TTC #1 since marriage

• KASG said:

@marajay6 that's just what *I* would do. But I would also want to show my doctor my tests, especially if some say pos and some say neg. The point I was making was really to go to the doctor, not how many more tests she should do.

It is overkill to go to the doctor ASAP once you get a positive. This is not an urgent manner, just a very frustrating one. When you get a positive test, your doctor probably won't see you until 8-12 weeks. Many people never have a pregnancy test (blood or urine) administered by their doctor. I don't know OP's history, but the appropriate thing is probably to just test again in a few days.

Also, you don't need to take a pee stick to show your doctor. They will believe you.

• Okay. That was just *my* advice given her post. Please, feel free to disregard if that isn't suitable for *you*
    TTC #1 since marriage

• marajay6 said:
    @marajay6 that's just what *I* would do. But I would also want to show my doctor my tests, especially if some say pos and some say neg. The point I was making was really to go to the doctor, not how many more tests she should do.
    It is overkill to go to the doctor ASAP once you get a positive. This is not an urgent manner, just a very frustrating one. When you get a positive test, your doctor probably won't see you until 8-12 weeks. Many people never have a pregnancy test (blood or urine) administered by their doctor. I don't know OP's history, but the appropriate thing is probably to just test again in a few days. Also, you don't need to take a pee stick to show your doctor. They will believe you.
    Agreed. OBs take your word for it when you get a positive HPT. A lot of doctors don't do blood work until the first prenatal visit unless there is a history that would suggest that it's appropriate. Absent anything like that, OP should just retest and go from there. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well I guess I'm lucky that my doctor will do a beta when I ask for it.
    TTC #1 since marriage

• KASG said:
    Well I guess I'm lucky that my doctor will do a beta when I ask for it.
    No need to get in a snit over it. Some doctors will do betas upon request, some doctors won't. Perhaps a doctor would based on a positive followed by a negative, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Omg it wasn't "a snit"

I'm just saying based on what you all said, the fact that my doctor will is a good thing. I feel lucky about that.

It's all good. Internet communication makes interpreting tone difficult sometimes :)
    TTC #1 since marriage

• KASG said:
    Well I guess I'm lucky that my doctor will do a beta when I ask for it.
    You are very "lucky". Most doctors won't see you until you have a definitive positive test. Even with my history of loss, my doctor is not jumping to do a blood draw. Often, if you can't pop on an HPT AND a digital-- your numbers won't register enough to be pregnant even on a beta draw.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• You need to cool it

DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Come on you guys-- let's all just accept the fact that she has the best doctor in the entite world and the rest of our doctors are mediocre at best because they won't give us betas whenever we ask!
  • Wow, that turned quick! I think if I was getting conflicting tests and it was past dpo 14, I would also call my doctor and let her tell me what I should do next. This process is so emotionally draining and confusing at times, I do ask the experts for their help and advice. I've never had a doctor where I couldn't at least run things by a nurse.
  • Wow, that turned quick! I think if I was getting conflicting tests and it was past dpo 14, I would also call my doctor and let her tell me what I should do next. This process is so emotionally draining and confusing at times, I do ask the experts for their help and advice. I've never had a doctor where I couldn't at least run things by a nurse.

I was 15 DPO with conflicting tests & my doctor told me to wait. I did call because I thought I had faint lines. Was it a mind boggle? Was it emotional? You betcha. That doesn't mean you get to waste time & money on blood draws if you can't get a definitive answer at home.

If I hadn't gotten my period at 16DPO my doctor still wanted me to wait a week before drawing blood betas. Why? Because sometimes you just ovulate later.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

I was 15 DPO with conflicting tests & my doctor told me to wait. I did call because I thought I had faint lines. Was it a mind boggle? Was it emotional? You betcha. That doesn't mean you get to waste time & money on blood draws if you can't get a definitive answer at home.

If I hadn't gotten my period at 16DPO my doctor still wanted me to wait a week before drawing blood betas. Why? Because sometimes you just ovulate later.
    All of what you are saying is true. But you called your doctor. Even if it was just to get piece of mind. I think we all have to remember that we're doing the best we can with what we know. Where I've been pregnant before, I don't have as many questions. But I get it if someone (especially someone who has never been pregnant) wants to talk to their doctor and hopefully get some answers of what to do next. Maybe they won't get what they want - i.e. Blood test, even an actual appointment. But I don't see what's wrong with talking to the much more educated doctor who is helping me get pregnant.
    A very important aspect of these forums is to share information and learn from one another. One way this happens is when someone recognizes that advice given was inappropriate. If PP would have taken the opportunity to listen and learn, this little spat could have been avoided. Instead, she chose to get defensive.

• @marajay6 I'm really not being defensive, but I honestly and legitimately don't understand why "go see/talk to your doctor" is "inappropriate advice." I've seen that as the response on here many times so I don't see why a person getting mixed HPT results shouldn't do just that.

I agree that taking a test every day and showing your doctor is overkill (about which I was joking anyway FTR) but why is asking for a beta overkill, particularly in this case? HPTs can be wrong/defective and betas are supposed to be more accurate and definitive.

As you said, this community is for learning as well so I'm not being defensive right now, but I honestly want to know.
    TTC #1 since marriage

• KASG said:

@marajay6 I'm really not being defensive, but I honestly and legitimately don't understand why "go see/talk to your doctor" is "inappropriate advice." I've seen that as the response on here many times so I don't see why a person getting mixed HPT results shouldn't do just that.

I agree that taking a test every day and showing your doctor is overkill (about which I was joking anyway FTR) but why is asking for a beta overkill, particularly in this case? HPTs can be wrong/defective and betas are supposed to be more accurate and definitive.

As you said, this community is for learning as well so I'm not being defensive right now, but I honestly want to know.

The tone of your post was very much "OMG run to the doctor right away!!" I think getting mixed results on digital HPTs is similar to getting a squinter on a non-digital test. In that scenario, the appropriate action is to wait a couple days and test again. If you had a squinter on a pink dye test would you demand betas? Or just wait?

• I actually did get some squinters so I took another and then a digital a couple of days later. And then asked for a beta. But personally, even if I got 3 pos and 1 neg, I would be concerned and want a beta just to be sure.
    TTC #1 since marriage

• KASG said:
    I actually did get some squinters so I took another and then a digital a couple of days later. And then asked for a beta. But personally, even if I got 3 pos and 1 neg, I would be concerned and want a beta just to be sure.

Again, without an actual BFP betas are useless. If you can't pop on an HPT at home (especially if you haven't popped on a digital)-- your betas will show levels of not pregnant.

Also, just because you want a beta doesn't mean you should get one at the drop of a hat. Your attitude about "gimme it now" is what is putting folks off and its bad advice to recommend running for bloodwork.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Okay. I just don't understand why that's a bad thing. Even the test directions say to confirm with your doctor.

No biggie. Post and learn. :)

PS - I don't mind the debate/corrections etc. but I would kindly ask that you private message me just so we don't clog up the thread.

TTC #1 since marriage

• You can't just have betas drawn whenever the hell you feel like it. That's just not how it works. Doctors tend not to want to run a bunch of tests that aren't medically necessary. 

I think these public debates help if they correct misinformation and misconceptions put out there. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So a beta to confirm isn't necessary? Even with mixed HPT results?

I get what you all are saying, but I would want to be sure one way or the other. Is that really so wrong?
    TTC #1 since marriage

• KASG said:
    So a beta to confirm isn't necessary? Even with mixed HPT results? I get what you all are saying, but I would want to be sure one way or the other. Is that really so wrong?

Betas are only required if a positive HPT is consistent. Even then only those with history of IF or loss usually get them. They are not done on the regular and should not be a routine thing. Its not wrong to want to be sure. It's wrong to rush to betas just because you have a couple of wonky tests. The best solution in these cases is time. Given a week or even a couple days-- if someone is pregnant then they should be able to consistently pop on HPT at home. A digital is really the last confirmation of a pink dye test positive.

Being sure is waiting and taking another test to confirm. When you make your appointment for prenatal care the doctor will run a pee test (pee stick) and run your blood anyway to confirm during your first trimester bloodwork.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Let's put it this way. Say you got one positive digital and one negative (from the same sample of urine). You dip a pink dye tests and its negative. That's two out of three that is negative. This scenario is consistent with having questionable HPT. You would not go to the doctor and ask for betas. Why? because if you can't pop on 2/3 HPT then your numbers from a beta would likely be low enough to register as not pregnant.

If you have a squinter on a pink dye or blue dye-- then dip a digital and it says "pregnant". Then you go for your betas. Why? You have two indicators that you could be pregnant and would need to track the progress of the pregnancy. The qualifier would even been a history of loss or IF (say IVF or IUI). The average healthy pregnant woman would not get betas drawn because it is not necessary. They would get the first trimester CBC panel, a urine test at the doc and bloodwork included. That wouldn't be a beta necessarily -- simply a yes or no type bloodwork (vs. the numbers and tracking).

The best way "be sure one way or another" is to WAIT. @KASG

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• KASG said:

So a beta to confirm isn't necessary? Even with mixed HPT results?

I get what you all are saying, but I would want to be sure one way or the other. Is that really so wrong?

Betas are only required if a positive HPT is consistent. Even then only those with history of IF or loss usually get them. They are not done on the regular and should not be a routine thing. Its not wrong to want to be sure. It's wrong to rush to betas just because you have a couple of wonky tests. The best solution in these cases is time. Given a week or even a couple days-- if someone is pregnant then they should be able to consistently pop on HPT at home. A digital is really the last confirmation of a pink dye test positive.

Being sure is waiting and taking another test to confirm. When you make your appointment for prenatal care the doctor will run a pee test (pee stick) and run your blood anyway to confirm during your first trimester bloodwork.

I definitely agree that the best course of action is to wait and retest at home. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be sure (we all want to be sure), but having the presence of mind/self control to wait I feel like is a healthy discipline, both for you and for the healthcare system. A doc running a beta on request is the exception to the rule. I do really appreciate the tone of the board toward "chill out, wait, retest" versus getting a beta because it feels like an emergency that I need to know. Even a mixed HPT is promising if AF hasn't shown up. Wait and see. And if AF shows up before popping HPTs consistently, it's heartbreaking, but there's the answer.
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• I thought most HPTs require hcg levels of at least 25.

For example, I asked for a beta because the lines were so faint, but I was bleeding as well. Even after the bleeding stopped, the tests were still positive. That concerned me.

To be clear, I am not suggesting "running to go get betas" but I don't think it's bad to *ask* and/or explain to your doctor your situation for why you're asking. I would rather my doctor tell me it's nothing to be concerned about and just wait x amount of time than assume anything.

If that's being overly cautious, okay.
    TTC #1 since marriage

• PrimRoseMamaPrimRoseMama member
    edited October 2015
    KASG said:
    I thought most HPTs require hcg levels of at least 25. For example, I asked for a beta because the lines were so faint, but I was bleeding as well. Even after the bleeding stopped, the tests were still positive. That concerned me. To be clear, I am not suggesting "running to go get betas" but I don't think it's bad to *ask* and/or explain to your doctor your situation for why you're asking. I would rather my doctor tell me it's nothing to be concerned about and just wait x amount of time than assume anything. If that's being overly cautious, okay.

You are correct. So, in order to get a positive one you would need enough to register. If you can't get at least that on an HPT then your betas will come back below 25 miU. Early result FRER can register 12.5 miU. The digitals almost always are 50 miU. So if you get a positive on a digital (at any point) than by rights you SHOULD be able to pop on an regular pink dye. If you can't then your results at beta draw will not be enough to be considered pregnant.

I'm frustrated with your responses because you claim to get it but want to keep arguing that its NBD to ask for betas whenever you want. Some doctors will run them simply to shut you up because they know you'll keep asking "just to be sure". That's a waste of time and resources, frankly.

There is no real, legimate reason (IMHO) to call and ask for a beta (including explanations). When I had my HPT weirdness last cycle I called because I thought I had a faint positive on an FRER pink dye HPT. My doctor still wanted to wait to run betas or anything really. Why? because the new FRER have a problem with indent lines and evaporation lines look pink. If I had gotten a very clear positive (bright pink) then he would have said, "cool, see you at 8 weeks for your first appointment". NOT "cool let's run bloodwork to see where you are at." Different approaches, obviously, but part of what is frustrating about your responses is that you seem to believe that its perfectly ok to call everytime you get an evap line. If everyone called all the time when they couldn't interpret a test (or multiple) than you can guess what most OB offices would be doing all the time. Its just not reasonable to encourage every Sally and Sue to call if they think they have a positive pee stick. That type of thing would snowball and it wouldn't be a rational, reasonable response.

The rational, reasonable response is to wait and see if you can get a clearer positive. If you can't then wait some more. That's what I did and my period came. There is my answer.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• sorarose said:

chrlyr said:
    You can't just have betas drawn whenever the hell you feel like it. That's just not how it works. Doctors tend not to want to run a bunch of tests that aren't medically necessary. 

I think these public debates help if they correct misinformation and misconceptions put out there. 
    **Dirty Lurker**

With my last pregnancy, I ended up getting betas done after a positive HPT. I have diagnosed anxiety/past depression and was convinced something was horribly wrong, so they did it for me to make me feel better. As a FTM, I didn't know better, but it certainly helped me make it to my next appointment. Were they "medically necessary"? No, not really, but it can work like that depending on your doctor/insurance provider. I only know this is not typical now because of TTGP, so I appreciate learning this. Not sure it would have stopped me last pregnancy from getting the reassurance I craved, however.

This time, I'm waiting until my first appointment 8 weeks after LMP. Experience (and this board) has chilled me out, but I understand the need to even just hear from your doctor that there's nothing to be concerned about.

**Back to Dirty Lurking**
    With my first (and only, thus far) pregnancy, I asked about betas when I called to make my first appointment and the receptionist acted like I was a crazy person (obviously I didn't know then what I know now). So, I did what most rational people would do in that situation and peed on a million sticks until my first appointment at almost 8 weeks. That's the only reassurance that most people get. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PrimRoseMama thanks for the chart #screenshot

I had originally typed more, but there's no need, really. We (you and I) just disagree is all, and that's cool. I appreciate the debate :)

Back to fake working...
    TTC #1 since marriage

• sorarosesorarose member
    edited October 2015
    chrlyr said:
    sorarose said:

chrlyr said:
    You can't just have betas drawn whenever the hell you feel like it. That's just not how it works. Doctors tend not to want to run a bunch of tests that aren't medically necessary. 

**Dirty Lurker**

With my last pregnancy, I ended up getting betas done after a positive HPT. I have diagnosed anxiety/past depression and was convinced something was horribly wrong, so they did it for me to make me feel better. As a FTM, I didn't know better, but it certainly helped me make it to my next appointment. Were they "medically necessary"? No, not really, but it can work like that depending on your doctor/insurance provider. I only know this is not typical now because of TTGP, so I appreciate learning this. Not sure it would have stopped me last pregnancy from getting the reassurance I craved, however.

This time, I'm waiting until my first appointment 8 weeks after LMP. Experience (and this board) has chilled me out, but I understand the need to even just hear from your doctor that there's nothing to be concerned about.

**Back to Dirty Lurking**
    With my first (and only, thus far) pregnancy, I asked about betas when I called to make my first appointment and the receptionist acted like I was a crazy person (obviously I didn't know then what I know now). So, I did what most rational people would do in that situation and peed on a million sticks until my first appointment at almost 8 weeks. That's the only reassurance that most people get. 
    I get it. I was a crazy person, and when I expressed the anxiety, they gave me one, so I never knew that others didn't typically do this. Our experiences are clearly not the same first time around in that way. To be clear, I don't recommend running out to get betas and expecting them; however, I don't think there's anything wrong with expressing concern to a doctor/nurse, and as you said, you did something similar first time around on that initial phone call and only learned after the fact that it just doesn't happen.

We both learned from our experiences the "protocol" after that first BFP. I do think, however, that even though this board is incredibly informative and wonderful, some people just need to hear it from a doctor that they are crazy, especially the first time around.

Edit: Words are hard.