November 2015 Moms

Birth Control after baby?

2»

Re: Birth Control after baby?

• My DD is now 3wks old. As much as I don't want to go on any contraception I will be going back to the implant. I've had it before & had no problems with it.
    DS1 was conceived on the pill so I will definatly not being going on them again.

ETA to say yes @PetitNightingale if done properly breastfeeding can be used as a form of contraception.

Breastfeeding alone is not a form of birth control. A lot of women do not ovulate while exclusively BF which is where the idea that it is BC comes from, but at some point you will ovulate and then you can get pregnant. You will ovulate for the first time before you get your period back.
    The chances of you getting pregnant while BF if you have not gotten your period yet are small, but the first month you ovulate it will be like having no BC so getting pregnant is definitely possible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Jame414 said:

I am going to be the black sheep here for a minute. I got pregnant this time after having a tubal procedure done, and being on birth control pills. That's right, this baby made it through one permanent  (was supposed to be), and daily birth control. I am a freak of nature yes, but what ever any of you decide, make sure you talk to your OB about failure rates, and timing for permanent procedures. I am having a second and different tubal procedure right after this one is born. I will only have to stay an extra day in the hospital. Believe it or not, the effectiveness of  tubal changes from .06% failure rate if done right after birth to 1.6% if done after 6 weeks. This may not seem like much, but when your are "done" having kids and wind up with a surprise baby , it makes a difference. Whatever you decide, do your homework, talk to your OB. Are we really this far along already!! OMG!!

Ob says tubal effectiveness is 1:200. If getting csection, it's another 5 min added to procedure and convenient. If you have a vaginal birth, or are not sure if you are done having babies, the vasectomy is more effective (you can test it) and it's done in an office visit.
    Those were the stats my OB gave me at my last visit. As I have already had a tubal failure - the stats were important to me, and I am having a different procedure done this time. Vasectomy is not an option as hubby is diabetic and I wont let him, surgery and healing are much riskier for him. Just putting my story out there - hoping everyone gets the solution they are looking for.
  • @mistycray how was removal if you don't mind me asking? 
  • IUDs have been the recommended thing according to my older married friends with two or three kids. I was on the pill when I got pregnant to begin with so either I forgot to take it (possible) or it just didn't work. This time I'm going for the Depo shot. 

There's an old wives tale that breast feeding means you can't get pregnant but I know a woman who did. Perhaps it is not likely though. 
    That BFing wives tale is how my parents got my middle sister 13 months after my oldest sister was born... Careful with that one :)
  • kbonel said:

IUDs have been the recommended thing according to my older married friends with two or three kids. I was on the pill when I got pregnant to begin with so either I forgot to take it (possible) or it just didn't work. This time I'm going for the Depo shot. 

There's an old wives tale that breast feeding means you can't get pregnant but I know a woman who did. Perhaps it is not likely though. 
    That BFing wives tale is how my parents got my middle sister 13 months after my oldest sister was born... Careful with that one :)
    Lol, it is also the reason my sister and I are 14 months apart.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • After I had DS I wasn't on any form of birth control. I EBF for over a year and didn't get a period that entire time as well. The few times we did have sex we used the pull out method and that worked for us. After this baby we are done. Originally I was thinking of getting the Essure implant but I recently read some pretty nasty side effects. Due to my fibromyalgia hormonal birth control doesn't agree well with me so I'm still looking into different options.
  • Please DO NOT use BFing as birth control. Every woman's body is different, and you will have no idea when you start ovulating again until after it's too late. Also, pulling out =/= birth control.
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • Most likely getting the paragard IUD

Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited October 2015
    Please DO NOT use BFing as birth control. Every woman's body is different, and you will have no idea when you start ovulating again until after it's too late. Also, pulling out =/= birth control.

This really needs to be stressed more in sex education. I know plenty of college educated people who think this (pulling out) is birth control. Honestly. Please tell that to the hundreds of kids walking around because he "pulled out". 
    Do unto others. 
  • After my horrible experience with my 2nd IUD I'm thinking of getting nexplanon this time around. I suck at remembering to take pills so the pill is no option for me.
  • @mistycray how was removal if you don't mind me asking? 

I got my mirena removed in January and honestly the removal was nothing. I had withdrawal bleeding for 2 days and immediately went back on the pill.
    Obviously I fail at pills since I'm pregnant, but I'll be getting the paraguard this time. Love the IUD, hate hormones.
  • Since this keeps coming up I should have added that DH and I were not trying to abstain from getting pregnant. If it happened for us it happened. But like I said earlier it took awhile to get pregnant again. I am in no way going to promote EBF as a form of birth control. Neither is the "pulling out method".
  • My husband is getting a vasectomy. I'm so excited! LOL. This is #3 and #4 for us. I'm tired of the hormonal pills and the IUD. I feel like it messes with my sex drive. I just hope he doesn't chicken out of it. LOL! 

• mpp06 said:

Natural family planning has worked well for us. No link to any kind of cancer and if you were to get pregnant it is safe for baby.

But.... That's not a form of birth control. As a kid who grew up in Catholic school, I am quite familiar with the literature here and it is such a shame that it is even positioned as birth control. It is not.
  • Elyse1384 said:
    Natural family planning has worked well for us. No link to any kind of cancer and if you were to get pregnant it is safe for baby.
    But.... That's not a form of birth control. As a kid who grew up in Catholic school, I am quite familiar with the literature here and it is such a shame that it is even positioned as birth control. It is not.

This is what I was taught. My parents refused to discuss sex with me so I listened to my idiot friends (you can't get pregnant on top, you can't get pregnant if he pulls out, you can't get pregnant on your period)...all complete bull. People can do as they like, this is America but we need to start being more realistic about what we tell young people. 
    Do unto others. 

• Elyse1384 said:

mpp06 said:

This is what I was taught. My parents refused to discuss sex with me so I listened to my idiot friends (you can't get pregnant on top, you can't get pregnant if he pulls out, you can't get pregnant on your period)...all complete bull. People can do as they like, this is America but we need to start being more realistic about what we tell young people. 

Even worse in Catholic school NFP was only for married couples (as a form of birth control), because if you are not married then you are not allowed to have sex (abstinence). Didn't work out so well for some of my peers. Our sex ed class was surprisingly good by US standards, but BC discussions and options provided were laughable.
  • urby87 said:

I'm thinking about Nexplanon, as I've heard very little negative feedback about it.

I was using Nexplanon and HATED it. It gave me the worst mood swings I've ever had. I used it for about a year and a half thinking I'd stabilize at some point but never did. I've since spoken to several other people about it who've said the same thing. Definitely great that you never have to think about BC but not worth it in my opinion.
  • I had the Mirena put in after my first child. I loved it and had no issues with it. It was my only form of birth control. It worked really well until 2 years later I found out I was pregnant. It hadnt become dislodged or embedded or anything.... Maybe Im just super fertile lol. But they had to take it out, and it caused a miscarriage. I really liked it and am considering it again after i have this baby. Im just a little hesitant as i did get pregnant on it.
  • I had the Mirena put in after my first child. I loved it and had no issues with it. It was my only form of birth control. It worked really well until 2 years later I found out I was pregnant. It hadnt become dislodged or embedded or anything.... Maybe Im just super fertile lol. But they had to take it out, and it caused a miscarriage. I really liked it and am considering it again after i have this baby. Im just a little hesitant as i did get pregnant on it.

Maybe try the Paragard instead of Mirena? Ask your OB if copper could be more effective for you than the hormones, and you want to use an IUD again. :)
  • Before we were ready for kids, we used birth control and condoms.

When we had been in a longer relationship, and having a baby wouldn't be the end of the world for us, it was birth control and pulling out.

And obviously, when we were ready, no preventative measures were taken and it was let nature take its course!

I'd likely go back to birth control pills only as I'm pretty good about taking them on time all the time. But we also want at least one more, so we'll see how long contraceptives last!
  • To sum it up for those who are interested:

If you want to breastfeed, your options are:
    - nexplanon (downside: hormones, maybe heavy periods)
    - depo shot (downside: needs to be done every 3 months, weight gain, irregular bleeding)
    - IUD - copper or hormonal. Equally effective, but copper tends to cause heavier periods. Really designed for those who don't do well with hormones
    - the mini pill - progesterone only pill. It's much less effective than the regular pill and needs to be taken within 30 minutes of the same time every day to be most effective

I had Mirena twice and was extremely happy with it. Getting it taken out was about a two second procedure and was painless. The first time I hadn't had kids and the cramping when it went in was not awesome. The second time I had it placed at 8 weeks postpartum and honestly couldn't feel it.

This time I'll be using the mini pill. But only because I am okay if I get pregnant on accident (ideally want to breastfeed this one for a year or 15 months before probably choosing to plan a third child).

Hope this is helpful!
  • I'm 28 and plan on going back on BC for a few years until we try for #2. My doctor said to let him know at my appointment 6 weeks after the birth so he can write me a prescription.

- depo shot (downside: needs to be done every 3 months, weight gain, irregular bleeding)
    - IUD - copper or hormonal. Equally effective, but copper tends to cause heavier periods. Really designed for those who don't do well with hormones
    - the mini pill - progesterone only pill. It's much less effective than the regular pill and needs to be taken within 30 minutes of the same time every day to be most effective

I had Mirena twice and was extremely happy with it. Getting it taken out was about a two second procedure and was painless. The first time I hadn't had kids and the cramping when it went in was not awesome. The second time I had it placed at 8 weeks postpartum and honestly couldn't feel it.

This time I'll be using the mini pill. But only because I am okay if I get pregnant on accident (ideally want to breastfeed this one for a year or 15 months before probably choosing to plan a third child).

Hope this is helpful!

My OB said the Nuva Ring is safe if you plan to BF too. That's what I'll be getting back on.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Reviving this thread because I've been doing research on it lately...

I'm really bad about taking pills. Soooo the mini pill is pretty much out of the question.
    Has anyone used the patch? I'm thinking about using it, because it'll be easier to remember.
    I'm hesitant about the implant and mirena, mainly because I'm afraid of negative reactions and I wouldn't just be able to stop it without having to get them taken out.

Hope this is helpful!

My OB said the Nuva Ring is safe if you plan to BF too. That's what I'll be getting back on.

My Midwife said it could effect milk production because it contains estrogen. I was on it for a few years, and liked the convenience, but ended up having low libido issues and so went off of hormonal bc. I would encourage you to do some research on nuvaring and milk supply if you plan on breastfeeding, bc with estrogen can really affect your supply.

I'm debating my options right now, but may go for the mirena since I'm terrible at remembering pills and I want something that can be removed if I have side effects I don't like. My periods are heavy as it is without bc, so I don't think the copper IUD would be great since it can make that worse.
  • I used the patch but I felt uncomfortable with it. It just felt too much like a bandaid and they do peel around the edges. Every week you place a new one in a different location. Super simple.
  • kwaldy said:

Reviving this thread because I've been doing research on it lately...

I'm really bad about taking pills. Soooo the mini pill is pretty much out of the question.
    Has anyone used the patch? I'm thinking about using it, because it'll be easier to remember.
    I'm hesitant about the implant and mirena, mainly because I'm afraid of negative reactions and I wouldn't just be able to stop it without having to get them taken out.

The patch is super simple, but is a pain in the ass and leaves a gross residue around the area applied that can be hard to clean. I disliked it and much preferred the implant. My sister also got pregnant on the patch. Your BMI really determines if it is an effective choice for you.

Hope this is helpful!

My Midwife said it could effect milk production because it contains estrogen. I was on it for a few years, and liked the convenience, but ended up having low libido issues and so went off of hormonal bc. I would encourage you to do some research on nuvaring and milk supply if you plan on breastfeeding, bc with estrogen can really affect your supply.

I'm debating my options right now, but may go for the mirena since I'm terrible at remembering pills and I want something that can be removed if I have side effects I don't like. My periods are heavy as it is without bc, so I don't think the copper IUD would be great since it can make that worse.
    Yes, we talked about this and she said it was the lowest amount of Estrogen in any BC that had Estrogen and isn't usually enough to effect milk supply. And if it does we will switch. I was on it for 9 years and never had a pregnancy scare or issue, also I had no adverse hormonal side effects. So I'd like to stick with it if possible.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lurking from D15

This is probably not a popular method, but we will be utilizing the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) after baby arrives. It basically is taking a daily basal body temperature measurement and charting cervical fluid that can let you know when you are fertile. This way you can time sex. I used this method to get us pregnant and I will use this to try to avoid pregnancy until we are ready for baby #2. It takes some practice and it is recommended to use another method of BC for the first few months until you get the hang of it.

This method is definitely not recommended for everyone. I have a super regular cycle, and am open to another pregnancy, so this method is the best for us. It really helped me learn about my body and cycle, and I hope it will help me learn about my body in the post-partum period as well.

I realize this probably isn't popular, but for those that are interested in non-hormonal BC there is a free app called Kindara that helped me get started and learn about the process.