May 2016 Moms

Canned food?

Hello ladies!
I know canned food is generally not advisable but my neighbour just made an amazing soup n used canned coconut milk. Safe to have during pregnancy? Or not at all...
Thanks in advance!

Re: Canned food?

• Canned coconut milk is good for you. Always read the labels. The kind I buy has very few ingredients. The only one that isnt coconut is guar gum. But that is just a thickening agent.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Ohhhh! Why is canned food bad? I usually buy canned soups they're the only things I can stomach lately!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • edited October 2015
    Canned goods are safe in general for pregnancy
    I thought canned goods were safe unless they had an ingredient we are advised not to eat...but Google has told me otherwise. Consult your doctor, as I am about to. 

Edited because I was wrong :(
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Canned goods are safe in general for pregnancy, just take into consideration the sodium! For me the easiest place to draw the line is with fruits and vegetables, I never have those out of a can unless for some reason a recipe can't substitute fresh which is pretty rare. 

So I buy low sodium soups, I should be good? This thread scared me. I always buy fresh fruits/ veggies but soups are time consuming to make. Haha.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• @fireinwonderland I had made the jump in logic that it's not forbidden unless there is a no no ingredient in the soup for pregnant women. But....I made a mistake. I did just google this and read that nearly all canned foods contain an epoxy liner containing BPA. WHAT?! I'm going to stop typing because I'm freaked out and going to ask my doctor!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • I thought that BPA only leeches into canned foods if the contents are acidic (like tomatoes). Is this not the case?
  • Whoa. I had no idea. We make so many soups that have canned foods in them that I didn't even think about it. I'll talk to my doctor about it next week but since it wasn't in the "pregnancy guide" they instructed me to read, I'm going to assume I shouldn't worry about it. But I will add it to my list of questions. 
  • I've never heard of this until just now. I looked it up and everything I've read says that receipts also have BPA on them. It seems a little unrealistic to avoid canned foods all the time and to never touch a receipt.
  • I didn't know about the BPA, but considering canned foods are generally less nutritious, it's probably best to do fresh or frozen foods, anyway. I doubt a few canned goods are going to hurt, though. I generally use canned beans, since I don't want to go through the trouble of cooking dry beans....I guess I could get frozen ones.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I have been trying to limit my intake of canned foods. I don't think I'll be able to eliminate it completely, but it is true there is some evidence that canned foods may be problematic (do you see all my qualifiers there?) There are so many boxed soups that I don't think there is a reason to buy canned soup. Plus, making your own soup is not that hard. I even discovered chopped tomatoes in a box (instead of a can).

That is going to be the hardest for me to give up as I cook a lot of soups and various dishes with a tomato base. 

I'm eating all organic, too. Eh, I know plenty of women with healthy babies who didn't go this far. My husband is a chemist and is very wary of chemicals in food, so we generally eat organic anyways, don't spray pesticides on our yard, etc. I was not this anal about organic before meeting him, although for some reason I've always preferred organic milk. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• mlangblom said:

While I would like to come off caring and supportive, all I can think of is: "You've got to be kidding me".

I will echo @megmarissa sentiment. If you take everything in moderation, you will be fine.

If you are constantly licking the inside of cans you might have an issue, but I don't think it has to do with BPA exposure.

I hear you. It's always something. @-)
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Also, I've been craving The Vito from Jimmy John's for a week. I am going to give in and get one this week. I. Can't. Wait.
  • My baby is doomed.
    HAHAHA!  Ditto!  

I'm trying to remember that my mom didn't worry about any of this stuff and I'm an excellent specimen, obviously.

BabyFruit Ticker

Married Sept '13
    TTC Dec '13
    BFP 10/8/2014 MMC 11/20/2014 D&C 11/26/14
    BFP 9/20/2015 MMC 10/7/2015 D&C 10/15/15
    BFP 3/6/2016

• @mrstmoose I lived in those with my first!! I used to get two after work, eat one on the way home and then the other when I got home.

Believe it or not, my son was not born with a third eye because of it! He is pretty sassy, but I would expect that from anyone my children.
  • This is the first I have heard of the canned food thing.  I just stocked my pantry with corn and green beans and soups and beanie weenies.  Been eating beanie weenies right out of the can for work lunch sometimes.  Please ignore my excessive incorrect usage of the conjunction and in the previous sentence.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • kbrands7 said:
    I thought that BPA only leeches into canned foods if the contents are acidic (like tomatoes). Is this not the case?
    OH NO!! I had canned tomatoes on Sunday. Seriously, is nothing "safe"

cat fail animated GIF

• I use canned coconut milk all the time. I buy Native Forest brand and its label reads "non-BPA packaging". So if you are concerned, that is one brand you could check out.
  • mumbolinomumbolino member
    edited October 2015
    I can't stop eating canned foods, too :-( No way. 

I got a water filter. I try to buy organic, whenever i can afford (not always!) 
    I try to cook fresh most of the time.
    I got rid of plastic in our house. 
    I truly miss my brie and blue cheese.

That's it :-)!

• missnc77missnc77 member
    edited October 2015
    @mumbolino - If you're in the US, it's highly likely the brie and blue cheese you find in your local grocery store is pasteurized. There's no need to miss cheese. We pasteurize the crap out of everything. 

Edit: I just stalked your history, and you're in Australia. I bet you that you can find pasteurized cheese at your store. It's pretty common these days with mass produced food.
  • @missnc77    Thank you :-) :-) 
    In Australia, but it's probably the same thing. Where I'm originally from (Germany) you'd get a lot of unpasteurized cheese, but here it might even be the same as in the US 

Not sure about the blue one though... 

Anyone eating blue cheese? 

• mrstmoose said:

Also, I've been craving The Vito from Jimmy John's for a week. I am going to give in and get one this week. I. Can't. Wait.

I've been avoiding tuna just to be safe... But as soon as I hit the second trimester I am for sure getting a Totally Tuna Jimmy John's sub. I want it so badly.
  • mumbolino said:

@missnc77    Thank you :-) :-) 

In Australia, but it's probably the same thing. Where I'm originally from (Germany) you'd get a lot of unpasteurized cheese, but here it might even be the same as in the US 

In the US it's almost impossible to find unpasteurized cheese at your standard supermarket. There are way too many laws about pasteurization. I think the cheese has to be aged for 6 years or something to be sold unpasteurized. Not sure about Australia, but just check the label on the blue cheese and it will say whether it is pasteurized or not. If it is, you are safe.
  • The doctor said that chicken soup is ok. The only kind I know of comes in a can so surely it's fine in small amounts (1 can/week max)?
  • I've been eating organic canned beans lately, because they are high in folic acid. There is NOTHING in my giant newsletter from my Doc's office saying anything about canned products. I am going to keep on with the canned beans.
  • Yeah, I am still eating things out of a can. I eat low sodium beans, which take way to long to cook other wise and I eat low sodium soups. Fruits and veggies I get fresh or the frozen steamed pack. I think people just want to make us pregntant ladies  go bonkers.

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • I didn't even know this was a thing. :| I eat all the canned things and did with DD too. Maybe that explains the third arm...juuuust kidding.

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• @-) I lived on canned soup and spaghetti Os (so bad for multiples reasons, I know) when I was pregnant with DD because it was all I could keep down. I had no idea about this rule, and she turned out okay.

Now that I've read this I feel like I'll be compelled to moderate more... But right now My crockpot is cooking chicken taco chili, which has about 7 cans of beans and tomatoes in it, and you better believe I'll be eating it!!
  • vinerievinerie member
    edited October 2015
    mumbolino said:
    @missnc77    Thank you :-) :-) 

I didn't know blue cheese is on the no-no list. They've been sampling it at the grocery I go to, and I NEVER turn down cheese samples. Whoops. I am limiting canned food, though. I guess you can't win 'em all!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Everything in moderation... don't freak out about the little things. I mean the chances of getting listeria or something from canned food is so minimal. Here's what my doc told me... if you want a cold cut sandwich- eat it, if you want sushi- eat it (with the exception of fish high in mercury), if you crave it- have a little... the key is make sure it is from a reputable place/brand. 
    My doc said the same thing - everything in moderation. 
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker