Baby Names

Boy Name Help!

Hello,
I need help adding to our list of potential names for baby boy. I am 23 weeks pregnant and DH and I can't agree on a name. We have very different styles when it comes to boy names.

My favorite names include Grant, James, Jude, and Oliver.
DH likes names such as Maximilian, Otto, Franz, Heinrich, Wolfbert, and many other strong German names. I am looking for something that fits his style without being too pretentious. We both like unpopular names but I'd like something more classic and less harsh. So far the only names we agree on are
Finnegan
Owen/Owain
Oskar
Arlo (maybe)

Opinions and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Boy Name Help!

• I actually really love the name Otto. I know a kid with the name and it is a name that can grow with a person. I also like Oscar from your list spelled with a c. It's a personal preference to how it looks and as a teacher I would always spell it with a c. Both are strong masculine names that you can pair with a more common name in the middle of your child wants to use that at some point.
  • My great-grandpa was Otto. I don't know if the name is coming back or not, but I always thought it was a cool name. This is coming from someone who likes traditional names (Jacob, Michael, Aaron, etc). I actually think Finnegan sounds a little pretentious and Oskar looks like it's spelled incorrectly. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Loading the player...
  • Johan is actually climbing up the top 1000, so that might be an option for you.

also suggest

Bertram
    Conrad
    Elias 
    Felix
    Isidore
    Leon
    Leopold
    Reinhard
    Roland
    Tobias
    Walter
  • My DH is Swiss and we wound up choosing Matthias, we also loved the sound of Tobias too and considered it for a bit.

He tried to get me to like Cecil or Lutz, but I lovingly declined.
  • Marcus, Jasper, Oscar, Odin, Wolfgang, Alec, Nigel. I like your husbands style more then yours. Of your list I really like James and Oliver is good. I dont care for Jude, Grant or Owen. I am so so over the over done Finn phase.
  • Mark/Marcus?
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Oscar/Oskar a lot. I also like Owain, and Roland as was suggested. Finnegan is a little too trendy for my taste.
  • edited October 2015
    Im right there with your husband on strong german names. Two that could maybe help would be two on the top of my list. Niklaus and Forrest. Personally, I like Niklaus because if you arent feeling the heavy germanic nature of it you can easily call him Nik as an nn. 

As far as things more classic that may still be possible. Nathaniel, Theodore, Orion, and Augustus.
  • Loving the PP suggestions of Theodore, Tobias and Johan. Both DH and I have grandparents from Germany and some names we have floating around are:

Hugo
    Sebastian
    Matthias
    Kristoph
    Frederick
    Pietr
  • I love Otto.

I also love Oskar, Hugo, Theodore, Felix and Arlo. I think DH wants to try and use Wolf/some sort of Wolf- name as the MN if this LO is a boy.

Seriously, these are some great names to pick from. I wish Otto and Oskar and Otis didn't sound so bad with our LN.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions! There are a lot of good ones here.
    Any opinions on the name Heinz? DH and I both love it and it sounds great with our last name. We live in Pittsburgh though. Between Heinz Ketchup and Hines Ward I don't think it's an option.
  • Otto is the best of these names. Love it.
  • Kat0906 said:
    Thanks for all the suggestions! There are a lot of good ones here. Any opinions on the name Heinz? DH and I both love it and it sounds great with our last name. We live in Pittsburgh though. Between Heinz Ketchup and Hines Ward I don't think it's an option.
    Sorry, I instantly thought of the ketchup. Maybe middle name it? 
  • bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited October 2015
    Kat0906 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions! There are a lot of good ones here.
    Any opinions on the name Heinz? DH and I both love it and it sounds great with our last name. We live in Pittsburgh though. Between Heinz Ketchup and Hines Ward I don't think it's an option.

Heinz would make me laugh internally and probably try to hide my face expressions if I heard even more so if you live in Pittsburgh. Also the ketchup reference would be old in no time

• I really like Otto too! When I saw it, it just sounded good.
  • Love Otto! For German boy names what about Dieter? Conrad? Emmett? Johan? Milo?

Half my family is 100% German but their names suck..besides Dieter.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I like Oscar, although I prefer it with a 'c.' I love the previous suggestions of Matthias and Sebastian. Two of the German/American couples I know were able to agree on Lukas and Luca, two names I adore. And for the record... Heinz is a bad name and would only ever make me think about ketchup.

Other suggestions: Oliver, Matteo, Andreas, Filip, Markus, Tobias, Stefan