2nd Trimester

High Speed Car Accident: Pain Management..?

Hello Bumpies,
while driving around with a couple friends last night, the driver lost control & we hit a tree going near 100km/h. I was in the passenger seat, & we hit the tree on my side of the vehicle. by some miracle, nobody was seriously hurt & we all walked away. I've since been to the hospital, & I & my baby seem to be doing okay. my friend's hand is broken, & I have what they think is probably a cracked sternum &/or fractured ribs. I wouldn't let them xray.

my question is, to any ladies who have been in a similar position, how can I manage this pain? Tylenol is doing nothing & I would prefer to stay away from Codine (nor sure how to spell it). any natural ways that you found helped best? I would really appreciate it.. thank you!

Re: High Speed Car Accident: Pain Management..?

• taysun said:

Please consult your OB/midwife etc.

Uh.. This... If you were just experiencing your every day back ache I'd have some suggestions. But the fact that you have identified injuries means you should ask your OB or midwife and not the Internet. Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • 100% get in contact right away with your health care provider. I was in a car accident (right before I knew I was pregnant) and my GP got the report the next day and called me about it. You need to speak to someone who is in charge of your care to ensure your health and safety. I hope you feel better soon!
  • taysun said:

Uh.. This... If you were just experiencing your every day back ache I'd have some suggestions. But the fact that you have identified injuries means you should ask your OB or midwife and not the Internet. Good luck.
    i went to the hospital & have been told other than taking Tylenol or maybe Codine there is nothing i or they can do. so that's why I'm asking if anyone here has any pain relief methods that worked well for them. but thanks anyways.

• kyraaD said:
    Hello Bumpies, while driving around with a couple friends last night, the driver lost control & we hit a tree going near 100km/h. I was in the passenger seat, & we hit the tree on my side of the vehicle. by some miracle, nobody was seriously hurt & we all walked away. I've since been to the hospital, & I & my baby seem to be doing okay. my friend's hand is broken, & I have what they think is probably a cracked sternum &/or fractured ribs. I wouldn't let them xray. my question is, to any ladies who have been in a similar position, how can I manage this pain? Tylenol is doing nothing & I would prefer to stay away from Codine (nor sure how to spell it). any natural ways that you found helped best? I would really appreciate it.. thank you!
    So the hospital didn't give you anything for pain?

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Ok so you've been to the hospital (ER I'm assuming) but have you contacted your OB? S/he should be able to offer more insight than us non-medical professionals (for the most part anyway) here.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• nope :/ they have me the 2 Tylenol, said they sometimes give Codine ro pregnant women but they dont like to, & other than that there's not muxh they can/will do. I'm going to go to my OB on monday to see what he has to say, but until then i was hoping for some other forms of relief. the tylenol does nothing.
  • kyraaD said:
    nope :/ they have me the 2 Tylenol, said they sometimes give Codine ro pregnant women but they dont like to, & other than that there's not muxh they can/will do. I'm going to go to my OB on monday to see what he has to say, but until then i was hoping for some other forms of relief. the tylenol does nothing.
    Well, it's a pretty extreme situation. I don't think you are going to get much advice on what you should be taking from here. I'd be wary of accepting any suggestions from people that are not medical professionals in your situation. Does your doctor have a 24-hr or emergency nurses line?

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I agree with PP, wait to see your OB. He/She will have a better idea of what's safe for you to take. In all honestly though, there's not much you can do for a fractured rib. They usually just need time to heal on their own and can be downright uncomfortable for a while. Glad to hear baby is okay though!
  • Please contact your OB. When I mentioned headaches to my OB, she said if tylenol wasn't helping she could prescribe me something stronger. I can't remember what med it was but I know it wasn't codeine.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• kyraaD said:

taysun said:

i went to the hospital & have been told other than taking Tylenol or maybe Codine there is nothing i or they can do. so that's why I'm asking if anyone here has any pain relief methods that worked well for them. but thanks anyways.

But you haven't spoken to your OB, which is what I suggested you do. ER doctors aren't your OB.
  • Have you considered acupuncture? And aromatherapy to help with the inevitable headaches. These are paramedic al therapies for sure, and pretty soft core, but they may help a little with what must be extremely high pain levels. And of course I echo that you should be persistent with seeking medical advice and medical treatments. Sorry you were in such a terrible situation. I would be super pissed at the driver or whatever caused that accident!!
  • i cant get into my OB til monday, so until then I'll just wait it out. thanks ladies.

@alanna3622 yeah i was extremely pissed. mainly because i could have lost my baby. but i think I'll look into it. i know some people say acupuncture works wonders for them. thank you!
  • I'm glad you and lo are alright. PPs gave great advice but I wanted to add that maybe you should be more picky on who is driving you around. You said they lost control so I'm hoping it was just a complete fluke but I'd hate for you to have to go through another accident.
    I hope your ob can help you with pain management.
  • We give morphine to pregnant woman and some OB doctors will prescribe narcotics to take at home as well. Tell them you need something safe
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As stated, go to OB; which i believe you said you had an appt. what my husband did for his accident pain management was acupuncture. I dont think it will heal broken bones, but should give relief, if only for a short while. Good luck Momma!
  • Have you considered acupuncture? And aromatherapy to help with the inevitable headaches. These are paramedic al therapies for sure, and pretty soft core, but they may help a little with what must be extremely high pain levels. And of course I echo that you should be persistent with seeking medical advice and medical treatments. Sorry you were in such a terrible situation. I would be super pissed at the driver or whatever caused that accident!!

I too was going to suggest an acupuncturist. They might be able to give you some acupressure points that would help. Essential oils and homeopathics (oral arnica etc.) can be helpful too. I'd still check with my OB as well though.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• i think i will definitely be looking into the acupuncture. thanks again ladies! got an appointment with the OB tomorrow so hopefully he'll have some helpful advice.
  • I had to get an X-ray last pregnancy and they gave me some intense flaps to protect my belly. I don't know what they do for a cracked sternum so it might not be worth the risk, but is suggest asking about it so that you could get available treatment.
  • I would ask the doctor about that 
  • Yes, see your dr. At least have an ultrasound done to make sure nothing was injured (I.e. Baby, placenta, etc). They can take x-rays , but make sure you get a tech who's trained to work with pregnant women. Remember our grandmothers had x-rays done of the babies and the kids were born ok (obviously, they would shield the baby in your case). And yes, there are safe pain mgmt medications they can prescribe. See your doctor!
  • Please keep us updated with what your OB said, hoping LO is okay
  • OB didn't do anything :/ but he wasnt my regular OB. mine was out for the day. i was kind of disappointed actually. i got a prescription for 15 T3 tabs to help with pain. no ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. didn't even check the heartbeat, only the hospital did really quickly saturday morning when i went it. ugh.. I'm so angry & worried. i have my anatomy scan in a week & a half at least.
  • kyraaD said:
    OB didn't do anything :/ but he wasnt my regular OB. mine was out for the day. i was kind of disappointed actually. i got a prescription for 15 T3 tabs to help with pain. no ultrasound to make sure everything was okay. didn't even check the heartbeat, only the hospital did really quickly saturday morning when i went it. ugh.. I'm so angry & worried. i have my anatomy scan in a week & a half at least.
    Tylenol 3 has codeine in it, just making sure you are aware.
  • @Favoritemandms yes I'm aware. that's why they only gave me 15 tabs. they reassured me that it was safe, but everything else i needed to stay away from.

@ash413 like i stated before, they checked fetal HR at the hospital saturday morning. the guy filling in for my OB did not check the HR. so belive me or dont, i honestly couldn't care less. there's no reason for me to lie about that..
  • It's just hard to believe you were in that fast and hard of a crash and no OB care enough to even check the HR, your OB or not. 
  • alanna3622alanna3622 member
    edited October 2015
    @kyraaD I am not sure why you are getting such pushback on this thread from some members. You are reaching out to the Bump for our experiences concurrently with your docs for actual medical advice. You don't seem to be a liar either LOL

Thank goodness for the good timing of your anatomy scan.

I always thought codeine was a no for pregnancy! Huh. Well, I am glad you got something for your pain.

Hopefully you mend quickly.

Edit:clarity
  • @BowWowBowie well unfortunately they didnt :/ i told him they did one at the hospital & he seemed satisfied with that, which made me angry.

@alanna3622 I'm not too sure why either, lol. but it's no big deal (: I've still gotten some good advice from members such as yourself. thank you again! & i thought it would be bad as well, that's why i was hoping to stay away from it. i had 3 doctors tell me the codeine would be okay tho, so I'm trusting their judgement on this.
  • @kyraaD I was in a car accident just over a month a go where I was hit on the driver side and have been unable to walk properly since the first 3 weeks I used crutches or my fiancé would help me buy pushing me on a computer chair around places. I was also given no pain medication and told to take tynenol just do to the fact I'm also pregnant. All I can suggest is ice whenever you need it heating pads but only if it's a comfortable amount of heat(you don't want your body heat to rise to high) overall take it easy and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it ! I've been starting physio as well and that seems to be helping me a lot ! Good luck to you and your precious cargo ❤️
  • thank you so much for the advice!! I'll definitely try it out. i hope you're doing better as well. you seem like you had it a little worse than i did :(
  • I too was hit by a drunk driver at 7 am on a Saturday taking my SO to work... I was also told besides Tylenol there is nothing to be done for the pain. I do go to the chiropractor 3x a week tho and there are treatments they do for me being pregnant. It helps, but the pain is constant. Sorry to hear this, but glad you're all okay!
  • @kyraaD @scar28 I'm sorry to hear both of you ladies got in accident to !! I'm hoping your both starting to feel better ❤️