March 2016 Moms

Heating Pad/ Heated Blanket

Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and suffering from insomnia and severe RLS. I saw my doctor yesterday and he told me there was nothing to do for the RLS. I told him I put a heated blanket or heating pad on my feet at night to calm the RLS. He told me it was a great idea. Now I'm hearing about electromagnetic radiation from the blanket. Help?

Re: Heating Pad/ Heated Blanket

• Maybe I'm just uneducated but I don't think you should worry. If you had it across you belly I'd say no, but I doubt it will hurt by you feet
  • THANK YOU!! Trying to ease a bit of stressful thoughts before bedtime.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had bad hip pain with first pregnancy and would sit with a heating pad on the back of my hips where the pain was worse, after work. It would only be half an hour or so at I time, I worried that I would over heat ds, but I know it didn't hurt him and that's much closer than the feet
  • Get a hot water bottle..... It is amazing for aches... easily moved around, used at a desk at work and in general is my fav thing in the world
  • Get a hot water bottle..... It is amazing for aches... easily moved around, used at a desk at work and in general is my fav thing in the world

I second this. I adore my hot water bottle. I even take it in the car with me on cold winter mornings!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Agree with @Kurtni - I'd use it and wouldn't worry about it at all. But I'd still get a hot water bottle to have also, bc as the others said, those things are just awesome :)

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • I use an electric blanket every single night and have for about 15 years.... 4 perfect un radiated boys and a bun in the oven... lol
    my oldest LOVED my electric blanket. ... I could put it across my belly when he woukd tense up and u could feel him relax. He is super dark skinned (I am lebanese and dark) and my hubby jokes I baked him just perfect. My younger boys didn't love it and are very pale compared to my oldest. Needless to say.... hubby and oldest have instructed me to make this one golden brown ;)
  • RlS-epsom salt baths. Rub some of the epsom salts on your legs too
  • I used a heated blanket through my entire 1st pregnancy and so far through this one. We're survivin'. I was told to just be carful with over heating but I think that too is pretty rare.
    Bradley Houston - 04.01.13
  • Has your doc checked iron levels? Or are you on iron supplements. Low iron levels can exacerbate RLS. There are also medications that can be used in pregnancy for severe cases.
  • My doctor said no to an electric heating pad, just to be on the safe side, as my body temperature already runs high. But, I did get a microwavable one, and it is amazing. It stays hot for about 20-25 minutes at a time, and it does wonders for my aches and pains. I sleep with it under my hip and it is fantastic.
  • My doctor said no to an electric heating pad, just to be on the safe side, as my body temperature already runs high. But, I did get a microwavable one, and it is amazing. It stays hot for about 20-25 minutes at a time, and it does wonders for my aches and pains. I sleep with it under my hip and it is fantastic.

I second the microwaveable heating pad- mine saved my life last time around. This time I picked up two- for my front ribs and lower back.

If you can find one filled with flaxseeds, they don't hold on to mosture the way other fillings do.
  • I use my heated seats on the way to work for back pain...did it with my first and had a perfect baby. As long as your body temp doesn't get too high you are fine!
  • I use a heating pad. My doctor recommended one for my back and pelvic pain.
  • I definitely wouldn't worry!! Especially since it's just on your feet ;) whatever helps!!