May 2016 Moms
Options

Anyone considering a Natural Birth, any success stories of Natural birth?

2»

Re: Anyone considering a Natural Birth, any success stories of Natural birth?

• Options
    I had 2 natural vaginal births!!!! That's what I planned!! Be strong in your decision but also be prepared for the other. I told the mid-wife what I wanted but told her if problems occured go for it!!! You can do it!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    nlakranlakra member
    edited October 2015
    All three of my children were born vaginally without an epidural. My last birth was very different (Pitocin induction without pain intervention) and is described in detail in the link below. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer from my own limited experience. But, for now, here are my birth principles: 
    • For less intervention: I always strongly recommend moms stay out of the hospital
    • Avoid infection: Don't let any hands in your vagina and NEVER, under any circumstances, touch your bag of waters unless you are pushing/breathing baby out. 
    • Do not get the epidural so you keep the power and have full control of your body. 
    • If you REALLY want this very visceral, beautiful, experience of childbirth, it is yours for the taking. Get a doula who is the queen of pain management and start reading books about natural childbirth. Or, get you and your spouse trained in the Bradley Method. 
    • Your provider is key: You have to demand it and you have to set yourself up with a provider that will empower you. 
    • Expect to go to 42 weeks gestation, that way, you are not disappointed if your due date comes and goes. ...and only happier if the baby comes sooner. This buys you patience when your provider starts talking about intervention at 41 weeks.
    • To avoid fluid issues and an induction in the final days: Drink copious amounts of water (half your body weight in ounces) immediately before EVERY ultrasound. Low fluid sends you STRAIGHT for an induction.
    • Decide now what you would do if at 41 weeks, baby was breech. Some OBs/midwives will send you for the operating room. Arm yourself with what you will do if that is a possibility. See if there is ANYONE within an hour radius who is known for delivering vaginal babies breech.
    • Start listening to birth affirmations like Hypnobirthing so that you can train your mind to meditate on positive thoughts and body affirmations. Your body was made to do this.
    Here is my last birth and VERY long brith story: https://crownedphotography.com/blog/sebastian-gray/

A list of Pregnancy and Birth Resources:
    ♦Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth…………………………………………..Ina May Gaskin, CPM
    ♦Birthing From Within………………………………………………………Pam England, CNM
    Active Birth………………………………………………………………………Janet Balaskas
    Giving Birth, How It Really Feels…………………………………….….Sheila Kitzinger
    The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth……………….……Henci Goer
    What Every Pregnant Woman Should Know…………………………Gail Brewer
    Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year………….…………Susan Weed
    The Secrets of the Unborn Child (development of a baby)………Thomas, MD, Verny, et al
    Birth Partner (for fathers or partners)…………………………..………Penny Simkin

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    2 fantastic natural births here. I highly recommend 1. Picking your provider and birth place very carefully, 2. Taking an out of the hospital birth class, about 10 weeks or so, not a crash weekend course, 3. Labor at home as long as possible, 4. Use water! I had 2 waterbirths and it made the experience wayyyy more manageable, the difference in being in and out of the water was huge. Take baths, take showers during labor. 5. Practice daily relaxing every muscle in your body, think floppy-soggy! and deep breathing, 6. Guard against negative birth stories, you want to hear postive! 7. I also did a lot of reading.

You can do this! Have high expectations for your birth being an amazing transformative experience!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    kami09kami09 member
    edited October 2015

Totally do it!! It's an awesome experience. If you're in a traditional hospital setting, I would suggest hiring a doula to increase your chances of a successful natural childbirth. Otherwise, reasesrch birth centers and home irth midwives in your area. :)

Yes a thousand times yes. You may need someone in your corner. My husband and I literally FOUGHT with 2 different doctors while I was in labor. It was horrendous. After I think 35ish hours, I broke down and got the epi. He was born 2 hrs later. I totally feel that if I hadn't felt so threatened the entire time, I could've progressed much quicker.

Edit: I will say though that my birth story is really abnormal and doesn't happen to most people. Lol...I was induced, didn't want pit right away, etc. That's why it lasted so long.

I am *planning* to go drug free this time.
  • Options
    Ring of fire is awful, but the stitches I received afterwords was the worst pain.

Just keep that open mind. The classes make it seem like laboring is predictable, but it really is not. I planned on hydrotherapy and was excited there was a tub in the delivery room but I progressed so quickly that there was no time for that. I tried every position I could remember from class and finally had to arch my back to finish pushing (not recommended or taught, but what my body wanted to do).

Having an alert baby and being able to move and feel your body afterwards is worth it.
  • Options
    People do it all the time. It's definitely possible. I didn't get a break between contractions, which made my plan of going med-free a little less doable. Ironically, I was already at or just shy of 10 cm when I finally got an epidural, they just didn't realize it until after they gave it to me. In hind site, I'm still glad I got it though because it made the whole post-baby stitching process a lot less horrible.

All that said, I have a couple of friends who have gone med-free (2 of them with 3 kids!) with no issues or regrets. So do what you want, just be open to doing whatever it takes to get the only result that really matters--a healthy kid at the end. Good luck!
  • Options
    @angc4 - I also had a horrible experience with a spinal tap. I made up my mind no epidural as soon as I found out I was pregnant. The procedure still haunts me!
  • Options
    You can absolutely do it! Read up on different methods and take a class of you can! I had my son all natural and it was wonderful and worth it! The pain was only bad when it was time to push and pushing relieved it!!

Make sure and find a dr (or midwife!) that's on board and supportive with your decision! Don't let someone who's not supportive in the room!

Watch the business of being born and born in America!

You can do this!
  • Options
    Also they can give you a local anesthetic for the stitches after..
  • Options

*loss mentioned*

I didn't have an epidural with my son and I would like to do the same this time around -- but I definitely have an open mind. My son was 4lbs and breech when I delivered. I don't know if a full term baby is more difficult or not to deliver. My L&D nurse mother said since he was breech is wasn't any easier than a full-term delivery. It was painful, but you also have an awful lot of adrenaline running through your body to help you manage. I will definitely try to do it again.

What I liked best is that I could really listen to my body's cues. They broke my water at 6-7 cm, then I jumped to ten quickly after that. I felt the strongest urge to push, so my mom grabbed the nurse and I was fully dilated. Four pushes later and it was over.

I labored for 19 hours, walked around as much as I could and rocked on the birthing ball (I highly recommend this).

I did have a small dose of an IV med at about 2am so I could sleep a little, so it wasn't completely drug free.

Side note - My friend in Canada chose not to do the epi, but she got laughing gas to take the edge off. Have you heard of any providers in the US offering this?

Reply:
    I'm a FTM in Canada and planning to have natural birth.My friend gave birth recently highly recommended laughing gas. No side effects and she said it really helped her focus through the contractions. I don't know if it is offered U.S. but may be something look into as an aid instead of or addition other medication you are considering.
  • Options
    Keep an open mind about the birth. It's great to have a plan and trying to stick to that. But things can turn out in a different way. I also planned a natural birth with my first. I passed the de date without contractions or any sign of DS trying to get out of my body. After some talks with my OB decided to do a C section. When DS was born everyone told me his head was too big to get through birth channel and that's why I never had any contractions or anything. The worst part was feeling so guilty and useless because I couldn't birth naturally my baby. So don't be too hard with yourself. Of course I hope this LO is smaller and hope to get a VBAC.
  • Options
    mloucks83 said:

*loss mentioned*

I didn't have an epidural with my son and I would like to do the same this time around -- but I definitely have an open mind. My son was 4lbs and breech when I delivered. I don't know if a full term baby is more difficult or not to deliver. My L&D nurse mother said since he was breech is wasn't any easier than a full-term delivery. It was painful, but you also have an awful lot of adrenaline running through your body to help you manage. I will definitely try to do it again.

What I liked best is that I could really listen to my body's cues. They broke my water at 6-7 cm, then I jumped to ten quickly after that. I felt the strongest urge to push, so my mom grabbed the nurse and I was fully dilated. Four pushes later and it was over.

I labored for 19 hours, walked around as much as I could and rocked on the birthing ball (I highly recommend this).

I did have a small dose of an IV med at about 2am so I could sleep a little, so it wasn't completely drug free.

Side note - My friend in Canada chose not to do the epi, but she got laughing gas to take the edge off. Have you heard of any providers in the US offering this?

Reply:
    I'm a FTM in Canada and planning to have natural birth.My friend gave birth recently highly recommended laughing gas. No side effects and she said it really helped her focus through the contractions. I don't know if it is offered U.S. but may be something look into as an aid instead of or addition other medication you are considering.
    It's offered here I just don't think it's wide spread. And most insurances don't cover it if it is. My birthing center offers it. It's not too terribly expensive. I think $200 out of pocket. I actually do have to pay for it regardless in my case and if I end up not using it I get my money back, but I'm glad I have the option.