March 2016 Moms

Being checked for preeclampsia at 18 weeks

My bp has been running on the higher end and at my appointment Monday they said I had protein in my urine. I have to do a 24 hour urine collection which I will start Friday due to being at work (I'm not about to store a jug of my pee in the work fridge). I've searched the boards and internet and haven't found much on preeclampsia before 20 weeks. I'm hoping everything is fine obviously, but am completely freaked out if it's not and really don't know what to expect. I see a midwife currently at a very small hospital. Anybody know much about this? Is it treatable?

Re: Being checked for preeclampsia at 18 weeks

• *lurking*

It is a little early for a pre-e diagnosis, but yes, you could be showing some signs this early. I think I started having trace amounts of protein in my urine at that time. If you are diagnosed, it's a watch and wait situation, usually. They will ask you to remain mindful of certain symptoms - dramatic increase in BP or swelling, pain in your right side (liver), severe "global" headache (e.g. your entire head hurts, not just one area), and flashing lights or spots in your vision. Depending on if you are having BP issues, they may put you on a medication to handle this. I had to stay on one for a few months after delivery until it normalized. I was never officially diagnosed, as my protein always came back normal with the 24 hour tests, but given the fluctuations in my BP and the fact that the condition can develop pretty much overnight, I was induced at 39w3d. The only treatment if you are diagnosed is delivery of your baby, depending on the severity.

More than likely they will just monitor you for now and ask you to just call if you are having any of the symptoms. Good luck! 

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• They technically can't diagnose pre-e until 24 weeks which is why you're not having luck finding informaiton. I think all they can do is monitor you more closely. You may want to invest in a blood pressure monitor so you can check your BP at home. It may help give you piece of mind. It's completely normal for your BP to fluctuate so it may have just been a high day for some reason. Just hang in there and try to take it easy as that's about all you can do. I was diagnosed with HELLP which is a severe from of pre-e with my first so I've talked with my doc about it a lot this pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My BP almost always runs high. Before getting pregnant, I had extensive testing done and they determined it was fine. But at every ob appt, they always take it 2-3 times because it runs high. My midwife said pre-e is something they'll watch for. Best of luck to you, let us know what you find out in your upcoming appt!
  • Ugh 24 hour urine collections! Nothing helps ruin your sleep like trudging to the fridge for the pee jug. If it is any comfort i had trace amounts of protein in my urine at the office, but passed my 24 hour test for weeks befor officially being diagnosed with severe pre e. I was induced at 36 weeks and delivered a healthy boy. It went away right afterwards.
    As pp said it typically does not occur until after 24 weeks and monitoring your blood pressure is important. I take mine a few times a week to watch for changes. I am also 18 weeks. Good luck!
  • I was tested at 16 weeks. Everything came up normal for me. My bp was normal before pregnancy but now it's running pretty high. My doctor has me coming in more often but she said there is a high chance I will develop it and that I will be on bed rest during my third trimester. Hopefully everything comes out normal!
  • jmathi0149jmathi0149 member
    edited October 2015
    msd24 said:
    My BP almost always runs high. Before getting pregnant, I had extensive testing done and they determined it was fine. But at every ob appt, they always take it 2-3 times because it runs high. My midwife said pre-e is something they'll watch for. Best of luck to you, let us know what you find out in your upcoming appt!

I had the same thing happen to me during my last pregnancy. I called it white coat syndrome. It only happened at the appointment! Eventually when I got further along it increased to pregnancy induced hypertension but never turned into pre-e. I was on be meds but made it to 37 weeks. I was on bed rest my last few weeks.
  • @jmathi0149 was the bed rest due to your high BP? I've read they'll do that sometimes (if it's not pre-e) so am just curious!
  • jmathi0149jmathi0149 member
    edited October 2015
    msd24 said:
    @jmathi0149 was the bed rest due to your high BP? I've read they'll do that sometimes (if it's not pre-e) so am just curious!

Yes it was. My bp started getting way too high at 27 weeks so they put me on meds. They upped the meds a few weeks later. It was still high with the upped meds so I was on bed rest plus meds from 33 weeks to 37 weeks. I had to do weekly NST (non stress tests) and urine catches to make sure it wasn't turning into pre-e. Then they induced me at 37 weeks. Edit for typo.
  • I did get a monitor to check it at home.

• msd24 said:

@jmathi0149 was the bed rest due to your high BP? I've read they'll do that sometimes (if it's not pre-e) so am just curious!

Yes it was. My bp started getting way too high at 27 weeks so they put me on meds. They upped the meds a few weeks later. It was still high with the upped meds so I was on bed rest plus meds from 33 weeks to 37 weeks. I had to do weekly NST (non stress tests) and urine catches to make sure it wasn't turning into pre-e. Then they induced me at 37 weeks.

Edit for typo.

Did they just put you on bed rest at home or in the hospital? I think I'd go nuts if I had to be stuck in the hospital and not able to be home with my other kids.

• I was at home because it never turned into pre-e. The moment it does they pretty much require hospital bed rest because it can become an emergency at any time.
  • Gonna follow this post. My doctor was mildly concerned about my bp at 14 almost 15 weeks. It was almost perfectly "normal" but for me, that's kind of high (all of the women in my family run low). She will check in at 18 weeks and see if they want to monitor me.
  • Like others said, there isn't really a cure or a treatment besides delivery. Hopefully the 24 hour will come back that you don't have it but if you do, your doctor will work closely with you and monitor you. I was diagnosed with my last pregnancy and ended up having to be on bed rest for the last month and then I was induced. I was on bed rest at home so it doesn't always mean hospital bed rest. But if it turns into eclampsia or HELLP syndrome then it would be hospital bed rest and they would likely take the baby as early as possible since it can get dangerous quickly. I will be monitored this pregnancy because of having it last time so they will watch my BP closely and take urine samples to make sure there is no protein.

I know this sounds scary but try not to worry too much, all you can do is wait and watch. Sending good vibes your way that everything is fine!
  • Thank goodness! I'm curious what was your BP that prompted them to make you do the 24 hour test? I'm borderline which is why I'm asking
  • Honestly I don't know what my bp was. At my first two appointments it was high or elevated I would say, and then my next appointment was normal but that was when they found the protein in my urine. So she basically went off my first couple of appointments reading. I did recently go to the hospital where it was 198/98 however I was sick and by the time I left it was back to normal. I'm thinking that bc they check my blood pressure the second I walk in the room might be why it's been higher. They need to let me sit for a few minutes.
  • Glad everything checked out ok! I will have you in my thoughts! I hope it continues to be normal!