TTC after 35
Options

TTC and the flu shot

i work at a hospital and as October approaches we need to get our flu shot. This is my first year getting it. I O'd over the weekend and am now in my TWW. When I went for the shot one of the questions asked if I am or could be pregnant. I told the nurse we are TTC so I don't know. They told me if I am then I have to wait until after the first trimester.
Anyone else waiting to get the flu shot or doing it anyway during the wait.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: TTC and the flu shot

• Options
    I'm waiting to see how TWW comes out then will decide when to get it. When I was pregnant with my first though, I got my flu shot at my 1st OB visit at 8 weeks so not sure why they told you not until 2nd trimester? New guidelines or general guideline because they want you to talk to your own dr first??
  • Options
    That is strange advice and I wouldn't trust it. Flu shots are safe at any point while TTC or when pregnant. In fact, this is exactly the time when a flu shot would benefit you the most! I also work in a hospital and for what it's worth I got a flu shot last Friday and no one asked if I was pregnant, though technically I probably was because I had a BFP by Monday.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got mine recently and they asked the same question.  I said I was TTC, so they said they use a different shot if that's the case.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    They use the inactive one but told me to wait. Or maybe it was after the first month not the first tri , I forget which they said. Once I know definite if I'm KU then I can go back.
    It's just funny after 37 years I finally decide to get the shot and I'm told to wait.

• Options
    I got vaccinated while I was waiting to O last week.  I've had the flu once, and I know how terrible it is to have a high fever while pregnant, so I always get it.  It bumped up my BBT by half a degree for one day, and that was it.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    Wow! That is strange. I am in the camp that I get a flu shot every October. But I am also a diabetic so in addition to pregnancy, I always get it every year. 
  • Options
    Perfectly safe. Same shot - just not a good idea to do the live intranasal spray while pregnant.
    **child mentioned**
    Me(38)PCOS/Hypothyroid   DH(43)Low T/ED
    MMC at 10 weeks 03/2011 DD born 01/2012   TTC #2 since 04/2014
    BFP 8/26/2016

• Options
    @redheadbride15 the pharmacist said since I was TTC, she would give me a preservative-free shot, like you said.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    I don't know about a flu shot, but I was at the doctor recently and when I told him we were TTC, he strongly recommended that we both get a tetanus shot. But that was the only shot he gave me.
  • Options
    I'm also requiring my wife to get vaccinated.  It's a good idea for everyone in your home to get the shot, to boost your immunity, if you get pregnant.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    my understanding is that it is perfectly safe and highly recommended especially if you are pregnant. The inactive version that is. You could always get it between AF and O if concerned. If it works for my schedule i might get mine tomorrow :)
    Me (42) w/ partner for 16+ years
    TTC #1: 11/2012 - 9/2013; 6/2014 - present
    Follistim + TI (3x): All BFNs
    Follistim + IUI (1x): BFN 
    IVF #1: 17 retrieved,15 fertilized, Day 3: 15, Day 5/6: 3 biopsied
    Result; 1 frozen blast (inconclusive PGS results)
    IVF #2; ER: 6/22 16 retrieved, 6/25: 5 transferred (CP), 2 frozen
    FET 9/17: BFN
    Current FET -- Transferred 2 day-3 embryos - BFN

• Options
    If they said to wait, I'd DEF wait!! Idk what the side effects would b but whatever it is, it's not worth the risk factors for your baby
  • Options
    I asked the nurse at the pediatrician and she said it's safe at any point, as does the mayo clinic, so long as it's the inactivated virus. But I also think you have to go with your gut. I just got mine and am in the TWW...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for this important information.  I've jotted it down for when the flu shot nurses come around.  Do they carry both types of flu shots around when you get one done?  Would I have to go somehwere special for the inactivated virus version?
  • Options
    The nurse I talked to said that the only thing that has an active virus is the mist. When I went to get mine today at my employer, the paperwork they gave us clearly stated that the vaccine they were using was inactive.
  • Options
    My hospital/employer gave an inactive shot. But they said for me not to get it, maybe because if I am it's so early. I'll know in another week if I'm KU or not. If not I'll get it done during AF.

• Options
    I got mine at Walgreens and they gave me a preservative-free one since I was TTC.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• Options
    Well the bitch AF showed up a few days early so now I can get it without worries. Oh joy.

• Options
    Dang it. Sorry @Jenniferk08