December 2015 Moms
Options

Kick counts

Has anyone started kick counts yet? I don't have my next OB visit until 30w, so trying to get ahead of the game.
My issue is baby doesn't really have a regular routine, but I do feel him/her frequently before bed, and they recommend counting at the same time everyday. 
Can I count the kicks at any given time? Any recommendations here? When do you count?

Re: Kick counts

• Options
    I try to count when he is not kicking
  • Options
    I don't typically count her kicks at the same time everyday as she doesn't really have a set pattern. I just wait to feel the first one and then start counting from there. As long as your baby kicks at least 10 times in less than 2 hours you're fine. I like to count twice a day. I hope this helps momma.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You are supposed to count at a time that baby is usually active. They should have a pretty set pattern by 30 weeks so once you feel a kick during that time you usually know more are coming. Like the previous poster said, 10 kicks in 2 hours and you're good. My OB said to start counting once I was in the 3rd trimester.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My OB gave me a little chart to fill out starting at 28 weeks. I'm supposed to do it around the same time of day every day, and it was recommended to do it when baby is usually active. I write down the time of the first kick, then the time at the 10th kick. If 2 hours pass and I haven't felt 10 kicks, then I'm supposed to immediately go to the hospital labor & delivery to get checked out.
  • Options
    When you do kick counts are you supposed to only count actual jabs or do you count any movement?
  • Options
    My OB said any movement
  • Options
    I had to start at 24weeks. They say any movement counts I do mine around this time I lay flat on the couch and pull up my shirt because sometimes I can see the movement but didn't really feel it. I noticed my baby is active all day so anytime works for me, as long as its 10 within 2 hours. 99% of the time I have 10 movements in about 10 to 15 minutes.
  • Options
    This little bugger is moving so much that I'm not even worrying about doing kick counts. It's definitely 10 movements in a short period of time!!
  • Options
    I'm 29 weeks and my OB hasn't said anything at all about doing kick counts. The next time I see her I'll be 30 weeks. I'm wondering if she'll mention it then. Either way she's very very active in there so I'm not worried about it.
  • Options
    My OB specifically told me not to worry about it yet because she isn't likely to be that reliable with movement at this point
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    I feel like.... This is really unnecessary. Unless you aren't noticing movement like usual... But daily counts?!
  • Options
    I had my 28 week check up and no mention of regular kick counts. I was only told that if I noticed a big decrease to count then. But right now she is moving constantly so I haven't had to worry about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's more about what the baseline is you feel and then a very noticeable change.
  • Options
    @armywife8289 this post was 6 below the one you posted and was started yesterday
  • Options
    I was given a chart to start at 28 weeks, I'm supposed to make sure I feel at least 4 kicks after each meal, at least 3x a day, and if I do I get 3 checks for the day. If not I call.
  • Options
    Mr doctor does not do kick counts.. She said she thinks it drives women crazy! It would me!
  • Options
    ammnam14ammnam14 member
    edited October 2015
    I had an appointment today and the nurse gave me a packet explaining everything I need to start doing. The kick count page basically says pick a two hour time frame and count 10 kicks. If you can count 10 in under two hours you're good. Lol simple enough I guess. I'm also 28 weeks!
  • Options
    And if you get the 10 in the 2 hours, you are good for the day right?

I see why a doctor would say it drives you crazy!!
  • Options
    Id drive myself crazy doing kick counts. I feel him all the time so I'm really glad they haven't said anything yet!