3rd Trimester

might have gestational diabetes :(

I am currently 30weeks + 4 days. I took my glucola test two weeks ago. Went to my appointment yesterday and found out I was on the borded line of having gestational diabetes :( so now I have to go to the hospital Tuesday and take the 3 hour test. I am scared this is my second pregnancy and I didn't have this my first one. I just hope maybe it was off because I have no idea how to manage this. Although I'm sure they will explain if I do. How many of you mommies have or have had previously gestational diabetes?? Am I wrong for being scared??

Re: might have gestational diabetes :(

• Loads of people fail the 1 hour and pass the 3 hour, including myself. Don't bother worrying yet. If you do have it, it's not the end of the world. They will help you manage it and create diet plans. Good luck!
    YCSWU 

• I have gestational diabetes and it's really more of a pain than anything to be scared of. You just have to watch what you are eating and monitor your blood sugars. Your doctor will help you with meal plans and show you everything you need to do. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't have any experience but just wanted to say Good luck!! Hope everything turns out fine.
  • I miserably failed both the one and three hour tests. I am now 37 weeks and have very easily controlled my sugars levels with diet alone. I was terrified just after the diagnoses but it's turned out to be a non issue. Also, the amount of sugar your body is asked to process for those tests is astronomical. I'm not sure I would ever pass one, pregnant or not.
  • I just had my baby last week after developing gestational diabetes at 32 weeks. It was a bit of a learning curve, but I managed it easily with diet and exercise and created some very good healthy habits that I'm carrying on with.

I ended up being induced because where I am they don't like you to past 40 weeks, and baby's movements were slowing down. BUT his monitoring was great, and he ended up being tangled up in a really long cord so my mw thinks that was probably what was making his movements less energetic, as his monitoring and blood sugars and everything were perfect.

I understand feeling nervouc, I was too, but it all worked out, and you'll definitely be helped along with diet plans etc.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• With DS, I was borderline as well, but the doctor didn't require the 3 hour. I was told DS was big, so I insisted on the test. Well, I threw up after the first drink, so then I had a modified fasting/blood sugar test and passed that. Don't worry too much!

• I passed the one hour test but barely so they had me do the 3 hour and my fasting and 3 hour numbers were great the other two borderline. They made me go to a class for GD and am testing my blood now and have not been even close to going over, I'm a healthy eater but have had some pasta and rice and still was in the 90's. So don't worry, not a huge deal better to be cautious for the baby. I will prob be told not to take it much longer since I have been so low but I agree with the other person the amount of sugar they expect you to process is crazy I am not a sweets and carbs eater and you just sit there for 3 hours.