September 2015 Moms

Grunting baby syndrome?

Anyone have a baby that grunts and strains to have a healthy and normal bm? My little guy is four weeks today and for about a week he acts like having a bm or passing gas is the hardest thing ever. He turns all red and sometimes yells because he is trying so hard. Lo and behold the bm is always soft and normal for an EBF baby. Anyone else have this happen? We are giving him simethicone drops and they help a tiny bit but not a lot. Have not yet tried gripe water.

Re: Grunting baby syndrome?

• We have the same thing. He isn't constipated as he has plenty of dirty diapers, and normal poo for an EBF baby. But poor little guy, he does this all the time! It's worse at night when he's laying flat in his bassinet. The gas drops don't seem to have much affect and neither does the gripe water. I've read that between 3-6 weeks the gestational track is maturing and causes them to practice pushing BMs and stuff. My LO doesn't cry or anything while he's doing it, but he can be really noisy with the straining and grunting. He's 5 weeks. Hoping it gets better with time!
  • I have read that it is quite normal.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited September 2015
    My doctor and the nurses gave me the heads up that as long as the stools are soft, it's totally normal for them to look like they're super constipated. Basically it's because their baby abs aren't really strong enough to poop and theyre building muscles. My little one consistently squeaks and squawks and bleats like a little goat a good five minutes before she poops. If she seems like shes really struggling I'll move her legs around like she's riding a bicycle and that pretty much always finishes the job lol
  • Yup, same here. I chalk it up to immature digestive system, but it's so bad it often wakes her from naps! It's sad to watch, but hopefully will end soon!

• Glad he's not the only one! It wakes him up all the time and often stops him from breastfeeding. He won't let me bicycle his legs so I just kind of let him do his thing... it's hard to see him so angry but not sure I can do much more.
  • Yes we are having this too! I feel awful but doc assures us it's normal. They are learning.
  • I'm glad I'm not alone. Feel so sorry for my little guy :-( was going to speak to my health visitor this week see if she recommends anything.
  • My pediatrician recommended to help LO by using the baby bicycle movement with his legs it apparently gets the parts moving in his belly that trigger him to move the muscles he needs to get bowels out. Also rental stimulation with thermometer followed by a warm bath helps them trigger that sensation and relax enough for him to pass it. This isn't done every night but they said to watch him throughout the day and make a judgment if he's having more than usual grunting.
  • @jennsuzanne87 my little one didn't really like the bicycle legs at first either but I've found if I just gently hold her legs while she's kicking/straining and see which leg is more pliant, she'll ease into some guided bicycling after not long.
  • There is also a hold which is where the baby lays face down on your arm and you rock them back as forth. It worked s little for my baby last night
  • S actually does get constipated (whole seperate issue), we change her position if she starts having a hard time. Usually against my chest while I'm sitting up helps her or laying on her tummy across her boppy. Obviously I'm right there when she's on the boppy!! :)