November 2015 Moms
Options

When are you starting your maternity leave?

13»

Re: When are you starting your maternity leave?

• Options
    I'm a pre-k/kindergarten teacher which is physically challenging while pregnant, however what's really the issue is that my husband and I moved out of Manhattan this summer so I am now commuting 1.5 hours each way to work. Because of this my days are really long and tiring and I've now come down with a very bad cold. All in all I am now trying to hold on until the end of October, when I will be 37-38 weeks. I love my job and I don't want to leave early but necessity may drive me to it.
  • Options
    LSRoo said:

LSRoo said:

LSRoo said:

NJ here. If we don't use our 4 weeks before, we lose it. I'm working until 36 weeks

I'm in NJ and so confused to the point it's stressing me out!!!! I want to go out at 36 weeks... If not sooner

What are you confused about?? I get 4 weeks prior to birth (fmla), 6 or 8 weeks after the birth (also fmla- for 12 weeks grand total). Once that is up, I get an additional 12 weeks FLA. (only 6 of those weeks are covered under disability). Hope that helps!!
    is the 4 weeks before different than maternity leave? My company says they expect me to work til the day I deliver, but I want 4 weeks if that's what I'm entitled to. How is FLA different than fmla?

FMLA-- is for YOUR medical condition. In this case, your pregnancy and recovery. (it can also be another family members medical condition).

FLA- bonding time for you and the baby.
    Thanks again. Starting to make a little more sense. I spoke with the nurse today and she said my last day of work would be Friday, October 30th which then the Dr will put me out at 36 weeks.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't qualify for paid maternity leave this time round but I'll be taking a leave from my business at 36 weeks. I care for children and we decided that it would be very unfortunate if my water broke etc while they were here (broke a week early with my ds). It'll give me a couple weeks to spend some special time with my little man before baby arrives too. I'm greatly anticipating it!!
  • Options
    I had planned on working until Halloween, giving me a week of rest before my due date. Baby dependent of course. But my midwife decided it would be best if I stopped working now as work is getting very stressful and my boss is not very understanding of the fact that I've slowed down a bit. I'm technically on sick leave now until Nov. 6 or the day that the baby arrives, whichever comes first.
  • Options
    I am taking maternity leave at 34 weeks, I am in the uk so really lucky with maternity leave as I get 9 months off paid.
  • Options
    Was going to work until the 29th (I'm due the 4th) but my Dr just made my last day the 23rd.... but honestly te way things are going right now I feel like there's a good chance I could have baby by next Friday...
  • Options
    In Australia we get 18 weeks paid maternity leave from the Government & our jobs have to hold our position for 52 weeks. It is so insane to hear some of you ladies working right up until due date! I am leaving at 36 weeks so i can mentally & physically prepare myself for birth. 
  • Options
    My maternity leave starts Monday, NJ here and I'm out 4 weeks before due date
  • Options
    I'm not starting my maternity leave until the week baby is due (I'm also in the UK, I'm taking 8 months off) but I had holidays saved up I had to use so I actually left work a week ago at 35 weeks, in glad I did, I worked 12hour shifts in healthcare and was starting to struggle. Hearing all you ladies worrying about getting to spend enough time with your babies before going back really makes me understand how lucky we are in England!
  • Options
    Yeh me too,.i am 33 weeks finished now i am taking it easy now best i can whilst being bored.