November 2015 Moms

Traveling at 34 weeks!!

since this is my first baby I wasn't sure how safe this actually was so any thoughts and advice would be great! I've got the sorest tailbone! And bad back pain so traveling is going to be a handful anyway but that's not my main worry, I'm due to travel about 3 and a half hours in the car down to my boyfriends parents for 10 days and will be about 2 days off 26 weeks for the travel back home, is this safe to do? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Re: Traveling at 34 weeks!!

• I would talk to your doctor before doing any type of travel. Im 32 weeks and just did a 6 hour car ride each way for my baby shower. The only thing my doctor said to do was drink a lot of water and get out of the car often to walk. It actually wasnt bad but we did stop a lot more than usual when we make this trip.

• Loading the player...
  • Agree with PP's - you need to get approval from your doctor and also have an idea of what you would do if there's a problem (a lot can happen at 36 weeks)
    If you do it, I recommend bringing various pillows in the car - I have an hour & a half commute both ways every day and I sit on a barely inflated neck pillow to relieve my tailbone pain. Also get out of the car every hour or so and do some stretching. 
  • Talk to your doctor. I had a fairly normal pregnancy with my daughter and was not cleared any travel after 30 weeks by my ob by car or plane, same thing for this pregnancy.
  • I definitely agree with the others to talk with your doctor. I am 34 weeks and was cleared to drive to and from Florida (a 10 hour drive each way) this past weekend. If you do end up going though, my pillows, heating pad, water and snacks kept me sane. Good luck!

• I actually did 4.5 hours of car twice in 3 days two weeks ago (I was 30 weeks). I thought it would be fine, and I actually was fine during the travel. But on monday I got some pains and a few contractions.... which I had never experienced before – so I totally blame it on the car.
    I took it slow and after two days they slowed and stopped completely. It is a lot of small shaking, I would not recommend doing it.
    As PP said, you can ask your doctor.
  • Echoing pp talk with your doctor. I just got done flying at 34/35 weeks this past weekend. I was going from Boston to Charlotte and my doctor had said it was fine but to drink lots of water and walk as much as possible on the plane. I've had a normal and healthy pregnancy so far. But everyone is different and every doctor is different.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im 33 weeks this week and lucky me, driving from WA state back to TN because my husband is getting out of the military. Lots of stops, water, and compression socks :D
  • I went 33/34 weeks 3-4 hrs away I was fine no issues. Get approval from dr. I ask early in pregnancy and a week before I left and was approved. We made stops and keep hydrated.
  • I live in rural MT and please don't take me rudely, but this post makes me giggle. I live 3 hours from my OB and the hospital where I will deliver. It is no biggie for me to drive that trip once a week. Did it with my ODS too. I suppose everyone is different, but a car ride on a paved road for a few hours hasn't bothered me at all. I am currently 32 weeks 4 days.
  • Definitely ask your OB. If they clear you for that amount of travel then you'll have to decide if you feel up to it.
  • dashaatxdashaatx member
    edited September 2015
    I drive between Austin and Dallas every week (3.5 hour drive each way). No problems with it; but I've been lucky with no back pain, etc.
    My doc said no commuting after 36 weeks. I am 33 weeks 2 days now.
    I think it's all what you are used to.
  • jlynnd75 said:

Im 33 weeks this week and lucky me, driving from WA state back to TN because my husband is getting out of the military. Lots of stops, water, and compression socks :D

Now I feel bad for complaining about our move in two weeks from Idaho to Colorado, just 8 hours away at 36 weeks. I hope your move goes well! Best of luck in the transition to civilian life!
  • I don't see why sitting in a car for 3 hours would be an issue unless you have something really wrong with you, even then, it's just a car ride. Just stop a few times and have a walk around. You're probably going to have to stop every 30 minutes to pee anyways.

I'm 35 weeks and commute 2 hours a day, 5 days a week in a car on my own. I'll be doing that right up until 39+2.

• kestes946kestes946 member
    edited September 2015
    I dido all the comments above.. And for me personally, I would not risk traveling this late in the pregnancy.. Speaking from personal experience in having a preterm birth at 32 weeks with my last pregnancy I wouldn't feel comfortable.. I don't think I'll be traveling even an hour away any time soon.. But def check with your doc and see what they say! Good luck.
    My DH and I are expecting our first child! A boy.. we're thrilled :)http://www.thebump.com/profiles/kestes946/settings/avatar/index# BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I traveled 4 hours away at 34 weeks with my daughter without issue. But you should clear it with your doctor.
    If you're having a hard time sitting that would be enough to keep me home. Otherwise lots of stops, water, compression socks and put your feet on he dashboard when you can.
  • Pontot31 said:

I traveled 4 hours away at 34 weeks with my daughter without issue. But you should clear it with your doctor.
    If you're having a hard time sitting that would be enough to keep me home. Otherwise lots of stops, water, compression socks and put your feet on he dashboard when you can.

Don't put your feet on the dash while in a moving vehicle. I saw an article last week about a girl who got in a terrible wreck with her feet up like that. She will never be the same again. She suffered terrible injuries to her feet and legs and her face where her knees hit her face.
  • We are moving next week to a city that is 10 hours away. We will be stopping lots and drinking lots of water, but my doctor had no concerns. Although it's not ideal to be 36 weeks and traveling 10 hours I think it's gonna be fine. I'm almost 35 weeks and feel great, some days I even forget I'm pregnant until I get kicked in the ribs!
    BabyFruit Ticker