April 2016 Moms
Options

Working out and nausea

I know we've talked EXTENSIVELY about both of these questions individually, but I was curious about whether there has been anyone who felt like working out actually helped alleviate their nausea. I was doing CrossFit 6 days a week prior to getting pregnant and then continued in the first few weeks that I knew I was pregnant until school started. Once school started for the year, my exhaustion and nausea kicked in high gear and I have been to CrossFit ONCE in the past 5 weeks  :(( I know that initially, before school started, working out helped my exhaustion. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with working out helping the nausea go away. I'm really hoping it starts going away on its own (I'm 13 weeks tomorrow, but yesterday was my worst day to date), because I am feeling so cruddy about not working out. With October right around the corner, part of me wants to jump back in and see what happens, but I also don't want to waste the money (CrossFit is $$$...)
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Working out and nausea

• Options
    I'm almost in the same boat! I was working out six days a week, but exhaustion and nausea have set in big time. On the days I make myself exercise, I'd say it definitely helps me feel better. The nausea doesn't go away completely but I feel I can deal with it better. Hope you start feeling better soon!
  • Options
    I feel better when I am more active. In the beginning I was feeling crazy nauseous after the work outs but that subsided a bit. I'm still feeling sick most days but the days I am active all day I don't really feel sick at all. I skipped Orange Theory last week because I felt as though I was getting sick and then we went on vacation and this week I am just beat! Feeling totally guilty that I skipped today to sleep in. I am looking forward to the second trimester and some renewed sense of energy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    for me i need to eat something substantial prior to working out, I've been eating Detour Smart Bars (bj's and amazon has them) and they work.  Just enough protein and fiber to keep me full but not super filling.  fruit DOES NOT cut it anymore prior to a workout.  i also drink a lot of water on workout days.
    hopefully it gets better soon!!!
  • Options
    I am 12 weeks tomorrow and have only worked out a handful of times since nausea set in around 6 weeks. I was like you @imrachellea and was working out pretty intensely 6 days a week. I haven't noticed that working out helps nausea at all, especially if I let myself get hungry. It definitely makes a big difference with my energy level though.

I can't wait to get back to it! Feel like I've lost so much fitness. But it is what it is.

Can you try something less expensive? Videos at home? Workout with a friend at a local park? Or a cheaper gym membership maybe?
  • Options
    imrachelleaimrachellea member
    edited September 2015
    @runningwild Problem is, once you go CrossFit, its hard to do anything else. My DH is not an advocate of CrossFit and wanted me to just stop all together while pregnant (he doesn't like it when I'm NOT pregnant, but knows its my "thing" so he puts up with it). He wanted me to just get a membership at LA Fitness like him and do the elliptical...I'm sure my face looked a lot like this when he said that:
    I've done a lot of different fitness programs, from mostly cardio on the elliptical to weight training with a personal trainer, to weight programs on my own, but the only thing that "works" for me is CrossFit. If I do anything else anymore, it just feels useless. I could always modify the workout from my CrossFit box myself at LA Fitness, but if that didn't "do it" for me, you have to sign on for a length of time there and CrossFit is month to month. I may just have to suck it up and try...
  • Options
    I totally understand @imrachellea. I am an avid runner. But my DH doesn't want me to run during pregnancy. It just makes him nervous. So I respect that. It's really hard to find something else I enjoy as much.

As long as your DH is on board, I say go for it! Especially since it's month to month. We should all be feeling better very soon I hope :)
  • Options
    Have any of you ladies tried a class like Group Power or Body Pump?  I know it's not even close to being the same, but in terms of being able to increase your weight week to week and having it be not just a cardio thing - I love it!  Just a thought!
  • Options
    dayzchic9 said:
    Have any of you ladies tried a class like Group Power or Body Pump?  I know it's not even close to being the same, but in terms of being able to increase your weight week to week and having it be not just a cardio thing - I love it!  Just a thought!
    I did Body Pump a lot before I got pregnant and the first class I did after getting KU was hell. I ended up having to leave.

My nausea is completely unpredictable. Sometimes I can power through it, other times there is no hope.
  • Options
    I've heard about Body Pump and Orange Theory, and other groups that have the same idea of group workout as CrossFit. I think whenever you do workouts like that, you also get comfortable and familiar with the people you work out with. Its the style of the workout, yes, but its also the community of people. I know people who do group workouts have to be ok working out with other people. So I miss not only working out, but the communitiy of people I've been working out with for over a year and a half!