August 2015 Moms

12 oz in 8 hrs?

Baby girls first day at daycare today. :(( She's 6 wks & I brought enough breast milk for her & even more (I thought). Her daily feeding schedule says she had 12 oz in 8 hours.... I usually feed her from the tap, so I don't keep track of ounces but it seems like too much to me. What do you ladies think?

Re: 12 oz in 8 hrs?

• When my LO started DC he took close to 14oz in 9ish hours. Then after about 3 days he got,use to,the bottle and is back down to 10 oz in 9 hrs.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• That wouldn't even be enough for my 6 week old in 8 hours. :/ My LO has almost 4 oz every 2 hours on the dot during the day. He might go a 3 hour stretch once. They will be quicker to eat more when not at home.
  • Loading the player...
  • meli1112meli1112 member
    edited September 2015
    My 5 week old eats about 4 oz every 2-3 hours. Seems about right to me
  • sgolden02 said:
    That wouldn't even be enough for my 6 week old in 8 hours. :/ My LO has almost 4 oz every 2 hours on the dot during the day. He might go a 3 hour stretch once. They will be quicker to eat more when not at home.
    This - My 7 week old takes 4.5-5 ounces of pumped milk per feeding when we are feeding him a bottle and he likes it every 2.5 hours or less.
    BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 5 week old takes 3-4oz every 3hrs during the day.
  • Are all you ladies breastfeeding? I heard a lot of the times bf babies will drink just a couple oz a feeding. This evening she's been extremely hungry wanting to nurse constantly. Maybe she's going through a growth spurt. Bc there we're a few times they fed her in just 1 hour after last feeding.
    I hate this going back to work thing. :/
  • It could be that she's eating more because the milk flows faster from the bottle nipple and her suck reflex isn't being met. Breast fed babies need to be fed bottles at a slower pace so that they can suck longer and they have time to recognize their tummies are full. My LO eats 4 ounces every 3 hours and she is 8 weeks old. She's been eating 4 ounces since about 4-5 weeks.
  • I thought your only supposed to feed 3oz and under till baby gets bigger or does that only apply to formula fed babies?
  • Look into having the daycare do paced bottle feeding. It should slow baby down.
  • Sounds sbout right to me. My mom babysat all day today and I left pumped milk. He ate 4-5oz every 2. Hours (7weeks).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If i give a bottle to my 5 week old, she takes 3 oz... About every 2-3 hours, so this seems right to me.

If baby isn't throwing up/spitting it all up, I'd say it's not too much.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Lurking from the September board...my little man who is 4 weeks old takes about 2-2.5 ounces every 3 hours when I'm gone but when I get home he wants to nurse every hour for 4 hours or so. It's like he is trying g to get all his breastfeeds in for the day. Then he will space back out to every 3 for the night time. I've done pre and post weights so I know he is getting 2-2.5 ounces from the breast so he isn't being overfed by bottle I think he just misses nursing when im gone and wants to make up for lost time.
  • My 8 week old eats 5oz every 2-3 hours.
  • Thanks for the input ladies!