Infertility

Male Factor -- 3rd Failed FET with PGS testing -- Time to give up?

Hi, Everyone. We just had our 3rd failed FET with a PGS tested embryo(I have been pregnant once before from a previous IVF cycle at a different clinic but the baby died in utero at 20 weeks due to spina bifida and I was induced to deliver him). I'm 27 and our only diagnosed issue is my husband's parapalegia that prevents his sperm from being able to fertilize my eggs. Our retrieval went great and we ended up with 11 chromosomally normal embryos but out of three single embryos transfers, not one has stuck(2 chemical, 1 negative). According to my RE everything looked perfect every time. Great estrogen, perfect lining, beautiful embryo but no dice. We still have 8 frozen blastocysts and I know we're super lucky to be in that position but I don't know how many times I can' keep doing this. Nobody seems to ever be able to give me any answers besides bad luck. Is it time to give up? Thanks for reading.

Re: Male Factor -- 3rd Failed FET with PGS testing -- Time to give up?

• You can keep doing this 8 more times :) And 8 more after that if you need to :) 

Trust me. I know it's hard. But it's never time to give up if you still have embryos left and they're all clear. You can do this!

Have you and your RE talked about possible immunological issues? Are you enhancing with acupuncture at all? 

Chin up. Something will stick!
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• @sophielou2 sorry for your losses and complications. If you can afford more, keep trying. It's good news that everything looks healthy and strong. Best of luck. Sorry this is all so hard.
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't give up! It's hard trust me I undetstand. But when one does stick and you do have your baby you will do it 100 more times if you have to. I had two failed ivf cycles. A 3rd successful one that gave me my beautiful little girl and I just miscarried after a FET. But I'm not giving up. I want another one and I know it will happen. Chin up don't give up. It will be worth it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I can only imagine how devastating your loss was and how hard the struggle has been. I'm sorry you experienced that. I can't say if it's time for you and DH to move on or stay the course, only you two know that answer, but I can say that you're doing the best you can with the situation and as challenging as it is, you're clearly a strong person.

I do agree with pp above that looking into other factors such as immunology might be a good "baby" step btwn moving on and giving up. And please keep in mind that statistically at your age PGS testing does not improve PR. Because of that, having to do multiple FETs, especially if they're SET rather than 2 blasts leave you at the mercy of statistics. In my clinic it's about a 40% live birth rate for your age/Dx which is high in the industry, but not great if you're going through it each month on the wrong side of the coin toss. I really hope it works for you. FX for you and we are here whatever your next step ends up being!!!
  • Thanks so much for your responses. I was able to have a talk with my RE yesterday and she said this just shouldn't be happening, especially given my previous (not exactly successful but carried for 5 months) pregnancy. At this point she wants to look at everything structural, immunological...anything that could be causing these repeated failures. She said they have a group of patients just like me -- young, have had previous successful pregnancies, no reason things shouldn't be working but still experiencing repeated failures and they've been able to successfully treat them so I'm gonna go with her plan and stay hopeful. She's doing a hysteroscopy on me next month, an endometrial scratch, Lovenox...we're trying it all! I asked her to please be honest with me about our chances and she said we are nowhere near the giving up point so we're sticking with it. Thankfully my husband is pretty tough having already been through hell and back with his spinal cord injury; I'm lucky to have such a strong partner in this. Again, thank you all for your support and advice and if you have any other ideas of possible things for us to look into they would be very much appreciated.