November 2015 Moms
Options

Big baby!

I have to have monthly anatomy scans bc of my weight, having PCOS and hypothyroid (not like I'm complaining bc I get to see him a lot)....anyway I had another scan today and in a month the kiddo gained 2lbs and I lost 4 lol...he's AHEAD of schedule measuring at 34 weeks instead of 31 weeks and 6 days.. he weighs 5lbs and 4oz! That's so crazy! I don't have GD or anything so I guess he's just a big baby. He's bugger than his brother AND father were at BIRTH! Anyone else having a similar experience?
My only other kiddo was born 5lbs 1oz...so his baby brother is already bigger lol

Re: Big baby!

• Options
    *bigger
  • Options
    Also...my only other child just turned ELEVEN! So this pregnancy is so new and totally different than the last.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i'm a FTM with GD, and my guy has been consistently measuring 2 weeks ahead of me.  I just went to the mfm last week for the first time for a growth scan. He's estimated at 6 pound 15 oz, +/- a pound. I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow, but was 33 last week and he was measuring 35.  The mfm warned me about the risks of having a big baby, and also possibility of c-section, but they leave all those decisions up to my ob/gyn. No discussion has been made yet of moving my delivery date up.  Everything else has been perfectly fine besides him being big and me having GD, which i'm controlling with Diet and Activity. I will also start weekly fetal stress monitoring just to be sure he is doing good and I'll have another growth scan at 37 weeks. 

I was a big baby when I was born, 10 pounds, 10 oz, and i was 17 days late. My husband was 8 pounds 13 oz when he was born. As long as little man and I are doing fine and he's not stressed or anything, i'm really hoping that will let me go to full term if possible. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The estimates can definitely be off but I had a huge first baby. He was predicted about 9.5# was born at 10# 14oz and 22". My twins are starting to skew large 3# 11oz at 30 weeks. I did not have GD with my son and passed the test this time. Sometimes the baby is just big, sometimes the +/- 2 pounds makes them appear big and they are much smaller than expected at birth.
  • Options
    @kittyberet Wow!! Big boy lord.. Looks like he prep your body for the twins.

My first was 8lb3 oz 22 in he was expected to be less than 6 lbs.. My second was 6 lb9oz 21 in we wherent shocked. Sometimes they get it right sometimes not so much.. We are ready for a big or small boy.
  • Options
    @Soyyoyary he was born vaginally and he's currently 16 months old. My OB said the twins should be a cake/walk compared and it's good my body is still a little stretched from him.
  • Options
    Yes my Ellie is a big baby, and I don't have gd or anything either. Her head alone is measuring 2 weeks and 5 days. They want to induce me early because they are worried about her size. At 33 weeks she was 5 pounds 11 ounces. I'll find out more at Fridays appt.
  • Options
    My doc said some newer studies are saying that say the mother's opinion (especially STM's) about baby's weight is often more accurate than scans. Thought that was interesting.
  • Options
    Supposedly my little lady is measuring big.. 4lbs 9oz at 30 weeks. I have GD. My husband and I were both average-sized babies and my midwife has her doubts about how accurate that measurement is. I'd take what they tell you with a grain of salt. I'm just gonna roll with it and see what happens.
  • Options

My doc said some newer studies are saying that say the mother's opinion (especially STM's) about baby's weight is often more accurate than scans. Thought that was interesting.

My biggest fear was having an 11 pound baby so this is (anecdotally) true for me.
  • Options
    I don't have GB but I went in for a growth scan when I was 33 weeks (a week and a half ago) and he was measuring 6 lbs (and 36 weeks gestational) and some ounces. now in every scan he's measured big since I've been pregnant. He's in the 97th percentile for height and weight. Which is exactly the same when my MIL was pregnant with my husband. I personally do believe in the growth scans. I'm worried about him being too big so I go in for another scan when I'm 36 weeks and that's when my doctor will decide when to induce me so I'm nervous about that too.
  • Options
    Due to my weight and pcos etc, they already have me scheduled for a C section. I had one with my only other child and my in laws will be helping at home so that doesn't worry me at all. I just don't understand how get got so big in a month lol. Last month he measured normal. It's ok though. I have a NST next week and as long as he is ok, I'm not worried. I just think he's gonna be big to be ironic and be bigger than his parents lol
  • Options
    *how he got
  • Options

I had no scans but I made a guess for both DDs and I was close. Of course it was just a guess we will see if I am 3 for 3 this time.

DD1 I said 7.8-7.12 she was 7.8. DD2 I said bigger than DD1 by half a pound and she was exactly 8lbs. This one I am going with 8.3-8.5 I think he will be my biggest baby. Now guessing when they will come I suck at 0-2.
  • Options
    I had a growth ultrasound last week because they were (kind of ironic now) worried about the baby growing. Turns out he/she is in the 94th percentile and was measuring 34 weeks at 31 weeks. My ob said they won't induce unless I go a week past my due date. They just let you try to have the baby and if something goes wrong then they do a c-section. I'm a little nervous because it's my first!
  • Options
    I wouldn't believe anything they say.
    I was booked in to have my baby turned at 35 weeks, and the dr refused to do it saying my baby was 10lbs+

Had my c section to a little 6lbs.
  • Options
    I'm hoping the scans were inaccurate. My OB seems convinced. She called baby a chunky monkey and told me not to buy 0-3 month clothing. DH and his 2 siblings were 10 pounds+ though so I guess it's a possibility the scan is right. Won't know for sure til the baby gets here haha
  • Options
    With my first two they said they were both over 9 lbs when they were born they were both under 7 lbs
  • Options
    With my first they said she was a minimum of 11lbs, nothing less.. she was 6lbs 7oz. I never trust scans, my dr doesn't even bother giving me the estimates lol
  • Options

With my first they said she was a minimum of 11lbs, nothing less.. she was 6lbs 7oz. I never trust scans, my dr doesn't even bother giving me the estimates lol

That is really off!
    DD always measured big. I don't remember them telling me a weight at my last US with her but I was looking at the measurements as they were measuring everything and it was all near 40 weeks. 9lb 10oz. This baby, I think, will be smaller.
  • Options
    @lyankowi
    It was a different office and state last time but still I had really never heard of it being that far off before and it freaked me out, I was like 11lbs WHAT?!
    But when I told my now dr about it he said it's common to be off but it's uncommon for it to be that far off and he was suprised they didn't try to do another scan. Ironically the dr I had in the other state is the same dr that delivered his children years ago.
  • Options
    Just had a growth scan at 33w because I was measuring at 31w. I have GD and haven't gained any weight and currently down 3 pounds still. At the scan they estimated her to be 4lb 11 oz and in the 59th percentile. So weird how everyone has a different story.
  • Options
    Just had another growth scan today and my ob said between that and my fundal height measuring at 43, she thinks he'll be between 8.5-9lbs. And then told me my pelvis was really narrow. Thanks for that encouragement.