November 2015 Moms

pediatrician

Has anyone picked a pediatrician for their LO?? And do you have preferences,?

DD and DS each have same sex doctors, I don't know what I am doing Do with LO, because DSs doctor is 30 min away, DS is 13 so we go once or twice a year. We choose them for their own comfort, we all remember growing up maybe talking to a same sex doctor feels better to them, I am open to when changing doctors when they are older, if they choose, DS says he prefers a male doctor.

I wonder if it would be crazy to have three doctors. Maybe I'm over thinking .. Any opinions will be welcome..

Re: pediatrician

• modanz1modanz1 member
    edited September 2015
    I barely even remember my pediatrician, who was male, so his sex was not relevant to me.  I started seeing our family practitioner around 10 I think, maybe even before (also a man) and don't remember having any problems discussing anything with him.  If I would have had a "girl" problem, I would have spoken to my mom. (Assuming it was before I started seeing an OB around age 17).  I guess my answer is that it wouldn't have mattered for me. 
    YCSWU 

• Loading the player...
  • Just my own opinion, but having 3 pediatricians seems confusing to me! When they're a baby/toddler, I don't think gender of the doctor matters all that much.

Here are some things my husband and I prioritized when considering who to choose for a pediatrician: Distance from us (we wanted to stay within a 10 mile radius), insurance coverage, after-hours coverage, and vaccination policies. A big plus for us was that the doctor's office we ultimately chose has 2 separate waiting rooms - one for sick kids and one for healthy kids.

I have never heard of 2 separate waiting that's awesome..

I won't change DS doctor because he has been his doctor since birth 13 years is a long time, I raised him alone so I know for him this opinion worked.. But for the younger ones I don't know. Things are very different .. Thank you for your opinions..
  • We are using the same pedi for our girls as our son. She is the person that got him on reflux meds when things were spiraling to crap dealing with symptoms in our house. She also suggested speech therapy for his swallowing issues early which shortened the time needed in therapy and got his eating on track. We picked her because my midwife recommended her, she's Harvard trained and has a great personality. She'll do twins appointments at the same time/back to back and our son if he's due for a well check. If my son decided he was more comfortable with a same sex doctor when he's older we'll certainly do that.
  • We are using the same pedi for our girls as our son. She is the person that got him on reflux meds when things were spiraling to crap dealing with symptoms in our house. She also suggested speech therapy for his swallowing issues early which shortened the time needed in therapy and got his eating on track. We picked her because my midwife recommended her, she's Harvard trained and has a great personality. She'll do twins appointments at the same time/back to back and our son if he's due for a well check. If my son decided he was more comfortable with a same sex doctor when he's older we'll certainly do that.

I love my DDs doctor, she older and explains everything very well, I guess my going back and forward is my experience with DS.. I am just over thinking it all. They are different, and LO won't know any different male or female. Thank you
  • Soyyoyary said:

We are using the same pedi for our girls as our son. She is the person that got him on reflux meds when things were spiraling to crap dealing with symptoms in our house. She also suggested speech therapy for his swallowing issues early which shortened the time needed in therapy and got his eating on track. We picked her because my midwife recommended her, she's Harvard trained and has a great personality. She'll do twins appointments at the same time/back to back and our son if he's due for a well check. If my son decided he was more comfortable with a same sex doctor when he's older we'll certainly do that.

I love my DDs doctor, she older and explains everything very well, I guess my going back and forward is my experience with DS.. I am just over thinking it all. They are different, and LO won't know any different male or female. Thank you
    If you prefer DDs pedi then definitely go with her at first when things are usually more critical. If this baby expresses the need for a new provider then make the change. Trying to pick a pedi is tough, I just lucked into mine honestly.
  • With the way my mom set it up for me, I had the same pediatrician up until I officially left the practice at about 18. My mom's a pediatric nurse so she knew my doctor through where she worked. When I visit my mom and go to her work, my pediatrician actually still recognizes me and remembers my name. She'd be my kiddos doctor if we were still in the area hands down. I bonded with her because I'd been with her from the get-go so I think on that end you're overthinking it.

The pediatrician we want down here isn't currently taking patients (although we plan to keep trying) and we heard of him through word of mouth. Even if we don't get him exactly, we do want this practice due to them having locations open on weekends.
  • With the way my mom set it up for me, I had the same pediatrician up until I officially left the practice at about 18. My mom's a pediatric nurse so she knew my doctor through where she worked. When I visit my mom and go to her work, my pediatrician actually still recognizes me and remembers my name. She'd be my kiddos doctor if we were still in the area hands down. I bonded with her because I'd been with her from the get-go so I think on that end you're overthinking it.

The pediatrician we want down here isn't currently taking patients (although we plan to keep trying) and we heard of him through word of mouth. Even if we don't get him exactly, we do want this practice due to them having locations open on weekends.

The same experience you have, DS has with his doctor. Its kind of nice..Good luck I hope you get the doctor you want.
  • I think at first gender is no biggie. But like some PPs said maybe as they get older they could switch if they wanted. I had the same pedi growing up for a long time than switched to my moms gen practitioner. To be honest I was incredibly uncomfortable with both. Both were older males, and even today I am extremely uncomfortable with male doctors for myself. There's probably a correlation there, and I hope to prevent that for my LO as they get older.
  • I selected a pediatrician after going for a meet-and-greet visit. The practice has 4 docs - 2 male and 2 female. They encourage you to try all the docs to see who you click with the best. Once the child gets a little older, if they have a same-sex doc preference, we'll just make that the doc we request. 
  • I loved my male dr growing up. Can't remember it bothering me. He retired when I was a teen. I think my next was a male too. He was older but never felt uncomfortable with him. I think he depends on dr not sex of dr.
  • We had two interviews and picked a pediatrician that had similar philosophies to ours. The practice is also huge on research, which we are very interested in.
  • We are using the same pediatrician as DS for this LO. She is a woman and... Wait for it... Was my pediatrician when I was a kid. I vividly remember her because she always took the time to explain things in a way that I could understand. My mother loved taking me to her because she was honest and straightforward, but very respectful of the parent's decision no matter what. She always gives me the necessary info and reading materials to make a well informed decision about anything DS needs. She also makes herself very available via phone during off hours in case of an emergency.
  • At first, I considered looking for a same sex doctor for my son, but decided that it won't matter to him at least for the first several years. My husband and I chose a doctor who we felt comfortable with. Not only is she experienced but she's a mom of 4. Whenever I have a concern about my son, I get medical advice and an anecdote about when one of her children experienced the same thing. It's very comforting.
  • I'm reviving this thread because i have a few pediatrician related questions for you ladies. My plan was to use my family doctor (who also saw infants) as my son's doctor as well. Unfortunately, I found out today that he unexpectedly passed away last night in his sleep. I'm really sad to have lost a great doctor and given that my due date is less than a month away I'm feeling very unprepared on the pediatrician front. I think I know who I want to switch to, but I have never met him. I'm a FTM and am nervous about switching from someone I knew and trusted to an unknown doctor. My question is: did any of you meet your pediatrician beforehand? If so, what sort of questions did you ask? If not, how did you make the choice of who to use?
    Thanks in advance!
  • Hello @dparker88 The Bump has a great pediatrician question check list. Just google it and check it out. Good luck!
  • dparker88 said:
    I'm reviving this thread because i have a few pediatrician related questions for you ladies. My plan was to use my family doctor (who also saw infants) as my son's doctor as well. Unfortunately, I found out today that he unexpectedly passed away last night in his sleep. I'm really sad to have lost a great doctor and given that my due date is less than a month away I'm feeling very unprepared on the pediatrician front. I think I know who I want to switch to, but I have never met him. I'm a FTM and am nervous about switching from someone I knew and trusted to an unknown doctor. My question is: did any of you meet your pediatrician beforehand? If so, what sort of questions did you ask? If not, how did you make the choice of who to use? Thanks in advance!
    If you don't like him in the first months you can always change afterwards.
    I met with 2 pediatricians and picked one from the questions I asked and the feeling I had with them. Follow the questions list you can find on the bump or on different websites. But at the end it is really the feeling you will have with her. Does he seem competent to you, does he share your beliefs if you have any (delayed vaccines etc). 

The first one had a french background, we got along really well, we have the same culture etc. I felt comfortable talking to het.
    The second one had the same interest as me in naturopathy/homeopathy, BUT I could not follow her when she spoke. She mostly spoke about her, REALLY fast, and I felt like I was drowning under the info, and did not feel ok interrupting her or asking too many questions.

So we picked the first one.

The questions you are advised to ask are about the practice itself: what time/days you can make an appointment, how busy they are until you can have an emergency appointment, is there two different waiting rooms (one for sick children one for healthy children), do they use emails etc...

• dparker88 said:
    I'm reviving this thread because i have a few pediatrician related questions for you ladies. My plan was to use my family doctor (who also saw infants) as my son's doctor as well. Unfortunately, I found out today that he unexpectedly passed away last night in his sleep. I'm really sad to have lost a great doctor and given that my due date is less than a month away I'm feeling very unprepared on the pediatrician front. I think I know who I want to switch to, but I have never met him. I'm a FTM and am nervous about switching from someone I knew and trusted to an unknown doctor. My question is: did any of you meet your pediatrician beforehand? If so, what sort of questions did you ask? If not, how did you make the choice of who to use? Thanks in advance!
    I'm sorry to hear about your doctor.  You may want to call the office and discuss it with them.  Although I'm sure it's a very difficult time for everyone there, they are professionals and will know other doctors and pediatricians in the area with similar philosophies to your doctor.  They would be a good resource for recommendations.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• dparker88 said:

I'm reviving this thread because i have a few pediatrician related questions for you ladies. My plan was to use my family doctor (who also saw infants) as my son's doctor as well. Unfortunately, I found out today that he unexpectedly passed away last night in his sleep. I'm really sad to have lost a great doctor and given that my due date is less than a month away I'm feeling very unprepared on the pediatrician front. I think I know who I want to switch to, but I have never met him. I'm a FTM and am nervous about switching from someone I knew and trusted to an unknown doctor. My question is: did any of you meet your pediatrician beforehand? If so, what sort of questions did you ask? If not, how did you make the choice of who to use?
    Thanks in advance!

We met with two pediatricians and chose based on how they answered our questions (which I found on Google), how well we gelled with them and their philosophies, and how their practice was setup. It was a no brainier for us and I'm excited to work with our doctor!
  • dparker88 said:
    I'm sorry! That's so sad.

Don't panic, though. I met our pediatrician through my labor class. She popped by and was very open about her practice and beliefs. We scheduled a parent meeting with her at her office where we chatted for 15-20 minutes. We feel comfortable with her and her office is awesome. They even have a service dog walk around and comfort the kids. :)

It's definitely good to call and see who's accepting patients because one of the pediatricians by my house didn't even let me meet with them since they have too many. Best of luck!
  • Glad this was revived!

We just moved to a new area and decided to go with the same family doctor that I got established with - so currently our three kids, my husband and I all see the same doctor. (Who is female; sex really doesn't matter much to us.)

Now I'm wondering if I should have an actual pediatrician for our baby's care? I've never used a family doctor until now so I'm not really sure if the care if different or if it would be better to use someone who specializes in infants and children while our baby is so young? I'm due any day now, so of course I've waited until the very last minute to figure this out! :)
  • I picked a pediatrician based on distance from home, and the fact that the office has its own urgent care for evenings and weekends.  I don't even know the exact doctor my LO will be assigned to (they offer tours, but stop them when flu season starts, so I missed my window) but gender really doesn't matter to me when they're very tiny.  If LO gets older and says she'd be more comfortable with a female doc, or I personally don't feel comfortable with this doc for some reason, I'll just switch later.
  • oxley09 said:
    Glad this was revived! We just moved to a new area and decided to go with the same family doctor that I got established with - so currently our three kids, my husband and I all see the same doctor. (Who is female; sex really doesn't matter much to us.) Now I'm wondering if I should have an actual pediatrician for our baby's care? I've never used a family doctor until now so I'm not really sure if the care if different or if it would be better to use someone who specializes in infants and children while our baby is so young? I'm due any day now, so of course I've waited until the very last minute to figure this out! :)
    I would think a normally developing child should be fine with a GP.  If you worry about the level of care your LO is receiving or your LO has any difficulties you can always switch doctors then. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• I was a procrastinator with my first. I come from a small town but witching 45 min there are 3 big city's and many hospitals and doctors offices to choose from. I was very overwhelmed!! We ended up just going with the on call they had at the hospital and loved him!! He ended up moving before we had our 3rd and once again I was lost. With our third though we did not have a hospital birth, I chose someone close but wasn't to impressed but ended up in the pediatric hospital because of some complications with weight and just used the referral they gave us. She is a RPN under a pediatrician and we ended up loving her to! Cool thing is they will make one appointment and see all the kids at the same time! A big plus when you have multiple kids. It's also nice to have one physician who knows the family history with us and all the kids.

I would of gone where I have gone for the last 17 years but they don't see babies under 6m :(
  • Also for FTM when you go to your appointment you can always request a room as soon as you get there, especially if you need to nurse and don't want to do that in the waiting room
  • dparker88 said:
    We chose a group pediatric practice based on the recommendation of a family member. Unfortunately I was not able to meet the doctors yet (they only do meet & greets at specific time which conflicts with my work) but I figured that if some reason I don't like the doctors after our first visit I can always try to find someone new. Good luck on your search and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your trusted doctor!
  • oxley09 said:

Glad this was revived!

We just moved to a new area and decided to go with the same family doctor that I got established with - so currently our three kids, my husband and I all see the same doctor. (Who is female; sex really doesn't matter much to us.)

Now I'm wondering if I should have an actual pediatrician for our baby's care? I've never used a family doctor until now so I'm not really sure if the care if different or if it would be better to use someone who specializes in infants and children while our baby is so young? I'm due any day now, so of course I've waited until the very last minute to figure this out! :)

If I could find a family dr that I trusted then ALL of us would totally be going there. DH, myself, 4yo, 2yo, and infant!! I like our ped a lot but it sure would be nice to find 1 Dr to see all of us.
  • oxley09 said:
    Glad this was revived! We just moved to a new area and decided to go with the same family doctor that I got established with - so currently our three kids, my husband and I all see the same doctor. (Who is female; sex really doesn't matter much to us.) Now I'm wondering if I should have an actual pediatrician for our baby's care? I've never used a family doctor until now so I'm not really sure if the care if different or if it would be better to use someone who specializes in infants and children while our baby is so young? I'm due any day now, so of course I've waited until the very last minute to figure this out! :)
    Growing up my parent's, siblings, and I all went to the same family practice doctor, I continued to use him until I moved after college. I always thought he did a good job, he even caught my hypothyroidism at 8 y.o ( which is obviously pretty uncommon in kids, and not usually on the radar). He was good about referring us to other doctors if he felt he was not prepared to handle something, or even just to encourage us to get a different opinion. 

My DH and I were going to use our family doctor for this LO, but she has cut her hours back and does not do appointments later than 2pm now. We both work and I do not really want to take PTO everytime he has just a routine check up. We ended up going with a pediatrician office that is open later, and does half days on Saturday. I also liked that she will be the one to care for him in the hospital after delivery. 
  • OK my 2 cents, when I worked at a family practice and was asked to give vaccines to children I was always a little confused (lack of training) but for adults I was comfortable giving any vaccine requested. I went to a male pediatrician until I was 18, I usually saw the female NP as soon as she got hired. The pediatricians office knows about kids vaccines/side effects/ the just know kids better. I have nothing against a general practitioner as my kids Dr but I feel more comfortable with a pediatrician until they are in there teens