April 2015 Moms

sucking fingers while eating

I started my daughter on cereal and purees, and she's eating really well, and is eager to eat, but she's constantly sucking her fingers at ask hours of the day. In between spoon fulls she will stick her fingers in her mouth and get did ask over her clothes, her head, everywhere, so I'm just wondering if I should just give it time and hope it stops, or shoul is there something I can do to help her to stop sucking only while eating. I don't have a problem with it through the day because she's teething, I'm just tired of her touching the furniture with sticky fingers. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Re: sucking fingers while eating

• It will just take a little time, we started about a month ago and she would always stuck her fingers in her mouth but she is finally over that stage
  • I read that that's common & a good sign if they do that while eating. They are getting to know the new food & touching it & checking it out
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're worried about sticky fingers now, just wait! Once they're really moving there'll be sticky everywhere! Unless you're lucky to get a kid who doesn't like messes! My niece is like that. My stepson, not so much. Haha! My baby does the same thing. Fingers in mouth. I just keep a wet facecloth while he eats and do my best.
  • It's normal, our baby does it too! We just always have a napkin or something ready to wipe his hands if we don't catch them going into his mouth in time. Usually we see him getting ready to do it and can intercept it, but he's a stubborn little thing haha