Baby Names

Saul & flow of MN/LN name

PaniaOPaniaO member
edited October 2015 in Baby Names
We are about 90% sure we have our son's name solidified, but still entertaining some hang-ups. Wanting to run this by the lovely naming pros on this board before get too settled... Sorry this is going to be a bit long-winded:

First name is most likely after DH's grandfather Sau.l (nn Sa.ulie when a child). I realize that many will say nay or nms because of old-Jewish-man associations, but I LOVE old man names and adore the name Sa.ul, so it's not one of my hang-ups, especially because it makes DH's family really happy.

Middle name in the running is Osb.orne, an important family name from my side. Thinking a fun alternate nn could be Oz. (Might be Sa.ulie's preference as he grows up..?)

My main hang-up is flow! Sa.ul Osb.orne seems okay enough, flow-wise, I think, though not the best. But our LN (initial R) is two syllables and sounds like Kaufman or Rockland. So I'm a bit wary of the two-two syllable sound of the MN and LN flow, especially with consonants at the end of Osb.orne and beginning of our LN. FWIW, I've also considered using two MNs instead, E.zra Geo.rge, only one of which is a family name (Geor.ge). Mostly because I think it flows nicely.

If you'd be so kind as to share your thoughts/ideas, I'd be very grateful! Thank you in advance! :)
S & A married 8.12.2013
Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016

Re: Saul & flow of MN/LN name

• I think the flow is good. It's great your names both have meaning but saulie & oz wouldn't be my choice of names. Saul is slightly questionable IMO so a "normal" middle name might be a nice option for him.
  • I love old man names too! I would have used Gus after my GF but my husband vetoed it.

It is a nice name that has meaning to you, and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea it is by no means a bad name.

Stick with Saul Osbourne and own your choice! :-bd
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Loading the player...
  • I think I kind of prefer Saul Ezra George, but either way I think it works alright
  • The flow of Saul Osborne last name doesn't really bother me, and I do not care for double middle names, so I vote to stick with your first option.
  • I think the flow sounds fine. I wouldn't add an extra mn just for flow.
  • Saul Osbourne is badass. Not a fan of double middle names. Go with your gut!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Thank you for your thoughts! Very much appreciated. :D
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016