July 2015 Moms

Tis the season...cold season

Ftm wondering What are your tips and tools for babies with colds and congestion? Already over colds and it's only september. Hoping this is the one and only for the year but not counting on it with daycare and travel.

Re: Tis the season...cold season

• Breastfeeding. My doctor says it's the best thing for a virus.
  • I absolutely love the nosefrida for congestion! I know it seems a little gross but it works great for my daughter!
  • Loading the player...
  • Our pediatrician and a friend both recommended saline drops for stuffy noses. It helps to gently break down the snot so it can be removed. Also a humidifier.
  • Is there a good way to prevent LOs from getting sick? DH just started to feel like he has a cold today. I figure the usual sickness rules of hand washing, no touching/kissing
  • That's what we did two weeks ago.. No smooching and minimal handling, with lots of extra hand washing. I kept pumping and feeding. LO didn't seem to get any of it more than a couple extra boogers.
  • @massey25 how do you administer the drops & how does LO do when you give them?
  • I haven't been brave enough to try it.. His were loose enough to be removed with an aspirator.
  • Apparently it cut off the rest of my reply. Weird..

You just squeeze the drops directly from the bottle into their tiny nostrils.. I can't imagine my LO will really enjoy it, but he's pretty laid back, so maybe he will accept it.
  • We've had good luck with saline drops & a nasal aspirator. It isn't her favorite time but she calms down as soon as we're done. She does much better if I squeeze them in while she's eating or while her dad or I are holding her as opposed to her laying by herself. Like the PP said, you just squeeze a few drops in. I usually give it a few minutes before trying to suck them out. Good luck! It's no fun to hear their congested little breathing.
  • We use simply saline... We follow the directions basically. We put her on her side and spray, then use the sucker if we need to. A lot of times she sneezes it out before we use the sucker. She definitely doesn't like it, but it's not horrible. She typically cries until she realizes she can breathe better.
  • Nose Frieda definitely. Spray saline worked much better than drops for us. Also doc recommended always using saline before suction to prevent nose irritation.