1st Trimester
Options

Hot ultrasound gel

I had a transvaginal ultrasound done and the sono gel was past warm it was really hot this wouldn't cause any harm would it?

Re: Hot ultrasound gel

• Options
    They do not get hot enough to burn or hurt you
  • Options
    *blink*
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Omg. Did the ultrasound tech know it was warm???

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It wasn't warm it was hot like over hot and it burned my skin I can still feel the burn today. No need to be rude I was asking a serious question because I was concerned. I did say something about it being hot but obviously at that point it had been inserted so I was just wondering if it was to burn anything in there if it would harm anything.
  • Options
    Breathing the bleach fumes (that your so mops with) have a much bigger chance of harming your insides than the lukewarm gel that is used for u/s (transvaginal or otherwise).
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    I wasn't at an ob office I was in the ER due to bleeding. My skin is burned today but hopefully it is just the skin on the outside. Also like I said earlier I did say something but at that point it had already been inserted. Everyone keeps claiming it was warm etc it was not warm it was hot I know the difference. My skin would not feel burned today from just warm gel. I know next time to ask my doctor instead because it seems that I have gotten some rude responses over a simple question. Sorry if it seems dumb to you but I know what a skin burn feels like and it is definitely burned and I am just concerned about it.
  • Options
    I would recommend contacting your ob as soon as possible if you're very concerned. We're on the internet, there's not really anything we can do. I hope you feel better and that everything is okay.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    I wasn't at an ob office I was in the ER due to bleeding. My skin is burned today but hopefully it is just the skin on the outside. Also like I said earlier I did say something but at that point it had already been inserted. Everyone keeps claiming it was warm etc it was not warm it was hot I know the difference. My skin would not feel burned today from just warm gel. I know next time to ask my doctor instead because it seems that I have gotten some rude responses over a simple question. Sorry if it seems dumb to you but I know what a skin burn feels like and it is definitely burned and I am just concerned about it.

What seems dumb is that if it was that hot you didn't jump off the table or tell them to get that the H out of you. Also, if it burned you it's not very smart you didn't file a complaint. Also, if you're legit burned I think you should probably hire a lawyer. Understand that it doesn't come across as very smart you don't know these things as is without needing someone to tell you these things. Techs, nurses, and/or doctors are not allowed to burn you.

Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    e1berrye1berry Just Joined
    Okay, I know it's been more than a few years since this thread was active, but for anyone who has this same question about gel being too hot, which is not that uncommon of a question, I had to address this string of comments from doozer1345. Feel free to ignore this user's wrong and bullying comments.

Yes, ultrasound gel can cause the feeling of a burn on the outside of the belly and internally if it is hot. And it is very unlikely you will jump off the table (and threaten to hire a lawyer!) because of it. Especially when it is transvaginal, where you are already in a vulnerable position at a doctor's office, people have a tendency to think everything 'must be fine because a doctor is doing it'. While there are no studies of it causing any damage, it can definitely cause discomfort, especially after the procedure is over when you have a chance to feel your body again and are not vulnerable and distracted by seeing your baby for what may be the first time.

So for doozer1345, if you aren't inside someone else's body, you don't get to comment on their experience being "dumb". You have no idea. Pregnancy is hard enough already and you aren't helping anyone.

And for anyone who found the gel too hot at your last appointment, don't feel shy about asking for cooler gel the next time. The US tech will understand, and every body is different.
  • Options
    So... you JUST joined to make your ONLY comment be yelling at someone who posted on this site 8 YEARS ago!?!?  

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Outlander
    what is wrong with you greys anatomy GIF
    Loop Monster GIF by Xbox
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Options
    And hasn’t been logged on in almost 7 years…

Haven’t seen a hardcore white knight in a while!