November 2015 Moms

Depressed/anxious

Lately, I have always had problems with depression and anxiety but now being 31 weeks pregnant I feel that it has gotten worse. I want to talk to my doctor but I am worried that they will think I'm not stable enough to raise my son. Any advice? I'm a ftm.

Re: Depressed/anxious

• Loading the player...
  • I started taking Sertraline (Zoloft) again early on in this pregnancy and it has been such a blessing.   Seriously...don't be nervous to talk to your doctor hun they totally understand and are there for you.  Good luck!
  • I am 33 weeks and have had depression and anxiety my whole life. In the beginning of my pregnancy, I went off my medication and relapsed back into depression quickly. I felt terrified and realized very fast that I wouldn't make it without getting medical help, so I called my doctor. He put me back on my medication, and was incredibly understanding. It was the best decision I've made. I think our anxious minds make us afraid that we are "sicker" than we are and our doctors are going to tell us we're crazy. The reality is that we are normal women with medical issues that can be managed very effectively with proper treatment. Doctors understand this and should make sure that we are taken care of in a judgement-free and professional manner. You reaching out for help surely demonstrates that you are a good mother stable enough to raise your child. You're doing the right thing by contacting your doctor. Baby needs a healthy mommy!
  • It's important you speak with your doctor about the subject! I had the exact same problem at the beginning of pregnancy being pretty much on immediate bedrest. I spoke with my husband and he convinced me that I will not be judged, but things could get worse, so it's really imperative to tell the dr. How your feeling. She put me on Lexipro for my entire pregnancy and I feel so much better since I've been taking it. Even now, when I've been put back on bedrest things aren't near as bad! Please don't be concerned your doctor won't find you to be an unfit mother- if anything; your being a responsible one!
  • You're not alone! No one is going to think you're an unfit mother for having depression or anxiety. Anyone can have it, and the fact that you recognize it and want to bring it up to your doctor proves you're a capable mother! I've been having depression and anxiety problems as well and my provider was extremely understanding and talked to me about it. She recommended I continue to see my counselor and suggested taking vitamin B, explaining it can help boost your mood and even give some more energy. I'm not telling you to take it, because only your provider can suggest it, but definitely do discuss your concerns with him or her.
  • Please reach out to your doctor. There is nothing wrong with needing help with depression and anxiety. You don't have to suffer alone.