October 2015 Moms
Options

Developing Arthritis while pregnant?

For the last few days I've woken up with sore hands, barely able to move them (it gets better as the day progresses). 
I've had a hard time finding information on it on the web. Anybody else have these symptoms? 

Thanks!!

Re: Developing Arthritis while pregnant?

• Options
    It's from the swelling/fluid retention, it's pretty common during pregnancy.  I wake up with sore joints in my fingers on a daily basis right now.  Some people develop carpal tunnel during pregnancy as well.
  • Options
    I do...my hands are so sore all the time, and super stiff when I wake up. Totally normal. Not arthritis, but definitely feels like it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same here. As PP have said, the extra fluid retention and it could be carpal tunnel syndrome. If it were truly arthritis, most forms of arthritis actually go into remission during pregnancy. Obviously this could vary from person to person, but still a good fact to know. :)
  • Options
    In my experience with rheumatoid arthritis, I get really bad flares AFTER Baby is born. (About 3-4 months later). And then it's so bad that it's debilitating. I could hardly lift my boys or walk. It is bothering me now late in my pregnancy, but not to the extent it will if I don't get right back on my meds after Baby is born.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. I can barely move my hands for like an hour or so and even now I can still feel pain in my knuckles if I bend them. They hurt SO so bad.
  • Options
    It's carpal tunnel. Got it with both pregnancies. It will go away after birth. I do hot and cold soaks in the sink with lavender Epsom bath salt to take away the swelling. It's manageable in the day when I'm usi g them, but at night and I the morning they're pretty bad
  • Options
    I have these same symptoms and it tends to get better throughout the day. It seems normal in pregnancy so no worries - you are not alone:)
  • Options
    Yes, at first I thought I had developed arthritis. It is almost the same presentation. Worse in the morning, stiffness and pain, joints involved. Then I read up about RA and apparently it's supposed to get better during pregnancy. The other thing that explains all symptoms is edema. So I figured that made more sense especially since I've been diagnosed with Gestational Hypertension. Buckle up Mama! Just a few more days/weeks... We can do it!
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback!! :) 
    I was getting a little worried that it wasn't a common thing. My feet and hands are puffy but the pain in my hands was something I had never heard of before. 

First time pregnancy worries ;) 
  • Options
    Definitely swelling, this is a new symptom for me this week as well!
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I also never heard of this symptom before. I read about pregnancy so much and it never came up so I really thought something was wrong with me. But turns out that this is quite common. I was frustrated with it at first but now I just live with it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    yeah i have this too... not only in my hands but my knee is all messed up as well. i don't have a lot of swelling, just joint pain. with my hands in the morning i find it hard to grasp anything. my knee hurts pretty much all day especially when going downstairs. icing and elevation helps. never expected these kinds of pregnancy issues! 
  • Options
    I had pregnancy related arthritis with my first 2 pregnancies. My fingers were stiff, would take hours to be able to move them, and painful. My toes were also affected toward the end, although not as bad. My OB told me it wasn't common but it can happen. It went away as soon as they were born. Luckily I haven't had it this pregnancy.