Infertility
Options

IUI with 6 mature follicles

Before everyone freaks out, I'm already freaking out myself.  So here's my story.  My husband have been TTC for a bit over a year.  We started seeing my doctor back in May.  We did two rounds of oral meds and I didn't respond at all so he moved me on to Gonal-F injections.  I had one mature follicle at time of IUI, no male issues.  I got pregnant but ended up having a chemical pregnancy.  This second round took longer and I ended up with 6 follicles over 18.  I think I only have one above 20.  Anyways.  Hubby and I talked and decided to take the chance on the IUI.  My doctor said they normally cancel with more than 5, but for some reason he was comfortable going ahead with 6.  I'm 7 dpiui today and I've had moments where I just don't think I'll fertilize and implant all 6 and then I have moments like today where I'm freaking out and every twinge I feel, I think it's another egg implanting.  I'm just wondering if anyone has had an IUI done with that many follicles as how did it turn out????  Thanks for NOT being negative. I know we took a risk, and as much as it pains me to say it, I would be okay with selective reduction if it meant having 2 healthy babies over 4, 5 or 6 unhealthy babies.

Re: IUI with 6 mature follicles

• Options
    Well, I didn't do an IUI just TI. (My doc says there is no reason for us to do IUI based on PCT results.) My last cycle, I couldn't go in the day of my trigger (office was closed) so I don't know how many mature follies I actually had at the time, but it could have been anywhere between 3 and 11. I really think I had a lot release based on my daily growth rate and numbers. I definitely had some minor freak out times that I would have a litter and/or be faced with the dreaded selective reduction scenario. I didn't get pregnant this round...only stuck with 5 cysts. Ugh... So, after my experience this round, I would have gone through with it too!! I hope it works for you and the appropriate number sticks!!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    Thanks!  Yep, I'm freaking out... BUT I've had seriously bad cramping and tender to the touch stomach since the day after the IUI.  My doctor doesn't think its OHSS, which leaves me to wonder if I'm forming cysts also.. Only time will tell I suppose!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My last IUI, we had 5 mature and 2 close at the time of trigger, so could potentially have had 7.  I'm also 40, so we went ahead with it.  Unfortunately, it was a BFN.  No judgment here.  I hope 1 or 2 fertilize and stick.  Good luck!!
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Options
    What was your estradoil level?  I had 4-5 mature eggs last cycle and strongly considered canceling.  My estradoil was under 800, so the RE was great with that and we proceeded on (it was BFN).  It's not just your follicles that are important.  My friend had 4-5, but her estradoil was over 1,000.  She is pregnant with twins.  Another friend had 4-5 and she had a singleton.
  • Options
    He didn't take my estradoil levels.  the more and more I read, the more I question why he didn't... Not sure, but in case this doesn't work out I'll be asking about that next time.
  • Options
    bsckgb7bsckgb7 member
    edited September 2015
    That's very odd.  Each mature follicle releases about 200/units of estradoil.  So if your estradoil reading was say 300 (even with what looked like 6 mature follicles) that would mean they weren't actually mature.  Like in my case last cycle.  We thought I had 5, but my hormones said it was less than 4 mature ones.  

Are you sure he didn't take them and just didn't give you the results?

ETA:  My RE acts like estradoil is even more important than the ultrasound count.  Since me canceling hinged on the hormone levels.  So my RE obviously thinks estradoil levels "trump" ultrasound.  Maybe that's why he was ok with continuing, maybe he took them and didn't tell you?  
  • Options
    I had 5 mature follies this last iui. My doc wanted me to cancel but we went ahead. My estrogen levels were very high too...in a good way...for pregnancy. Result: still waiting. I had my iui four weeks ago and may possibly be having an ectopic. Waiting for my blood results now to see where my hcg levels are. Honestly I think it's so random. As other people said they had that many and got Bfns. It didn't work out very well for me either. I hope you get one or two. :-)
  • Options
    I can only speak from experience but even with several eggs I don't think iui works very well. If I was u I definitely wouldn't worry about all of them fertilizing and implanting (I mean, yes it's possible but so wildly unlikely)
    I was 29 at the time of both my clomid iui's. Both times I had 7 mature eggs... none took. I hope ur experience is better than mine and u get ur bfp! Try not to worry too much!
  • Options
    Whiggrrl65Whiggrrl65 member
    edited September 2015
    I agree with PP. if it were me, I would go ahead. The chances are so small that all would fertilize and implant.
    Personally it seems that no matter what they do and what meds I try, I can't grow more than one mature follicle. So I would be thrilled with the multiple follicles and proceed.
    Good luck!
    Edited due to autocorrect.
      • TTC #1 since August 2014
      • currently on 5th medicated IUI cycle
  • Options
    6 follicles, wowzers. I would love to grow 6. I wouldn't be to worried about it either, like other pp said. FX your get a BFP

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• Options
    @mrshandler-lots of luck! Femara usually stimulates 2-4 follicles for me between 12-26 mm. 
  • Options
    So tested out the trigger shot and then took a test today and it was clearly positive.  I don't know how to react right now, so I'm just staying in the positive and hoping for the best!  EEK!
  • Options
    Awesome, congrats!!

• Options
    Just be careful you're not testing too early.  If you take a pregnancy test within 2 weeks of a trigger shot, you are likely to get a false positive due to the extra hormones floating around.

I agree with the others to go ahead, however I would think closely about what you would do if you ended up with 2-4 that implant.  Having the discussion now is important so you and your SO are on the same page.  My doc told me that one of his clients went many times with no success, switched to injectibles and had 4 mature follicles. She ended up with triplets!  Then again, like the many ladies above, I've had multiple mature follicles on Clomid and never got a BFP.

Fingers crossed for you!
  • Options
    @MrsHandler is there an update?!?
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• Options
    Congratulations!
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

• Options
    vssbrmvssbrm member
    edited October 2015
    Congratulations!!!! FX for a happy and healthy 9 mths.
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • Options
    Congratulations!! Keep us updated!
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Options
    Congratulations!!!
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Options
    congrats
  • Options
    Woot!!! Congratulations! That's wonderful! ::big hugs::
    Me: 43, DH: 41
    DS b. 7/4/2011 via c/s
    TTC #2 since 1/2015
    8/2015 - "unexplained IF", started Levothyroxine
    9/27/15 - IUI #1 (unmedicated) - BFN
    10/26/15 - IUI #2 (100mg Clomid + Ovidrel) - BFN
    11/21/15 - IUI #3 (100mg Clomid + Ovidrel) - BFN
    12/18/15 - IUI #4 (100mg Clomid + Ovidrel) - BFN

• Options
    @MrsHandler congratulations! That is fantastic news! So happy for you! Keep us updated and wish you and your little bean(s) a H&H nine months!
  • Options
    Wow I am so happy for you !! That is amazing !! Twins would be such a blessing ..but so would one ! Ahhhh !!! Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy :)

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Options
    I'm so excited for you Mrs.handler!!! I had 8 follicles and my estradiol was 2800.we almost cancelled but the next day by estradiol went down to 2200 the doc said that he felt better about and we proceeded oct 11 and another on the 12. We talked about multiples and reduction/termination. I had really bad cramps and swelling. I'm still a little crampy but was able to go back to work today.
  • Options
    @amma31 I had high anxiety leading up to the IUI and once it was done felt great about our decision.  Thankfully the doctor doesn't think its more than two, so now I'm just eager for my ultrasound tomorrow to find out how many there are, hear the heartbeat and also make sure everyone is in the right spot.  There is always a chance of ectopic pregnancies with fertility treatment so I'm super paranoid, even thought my levels were going up the way they were supposed to and I've not had any symptoms of one.  Its hard not to be paranoid when you've wanted something for so long.  Every little cramp makes me question things. 
  • Options
    Congrats!!

• Options
    Well, this wasn't what I wanted to type right now.... Went in for our ultrasound today and we have 5 gestational sacs.... you heard me right 5!  1 was empty, 1 heartbeat and then 3 with just embryos.  The doctor is pretty confident that the empty one is not viable, and that there is always a chance the others may not continue to develop.. He was SHOCKED because my levels didn't indicate it at all... So he thinks maybe that says something about the viability of the other 3 embryos... I feel awful even wishing that some would naturally reduce... Now we have the selective reduction talk... I'm devastated that we are in this position but I guess thats what we get for taking the chance.. I'm regretting that decision now and feel a little hopeless.  The likelihood of a healthy 9 month pregnancy with 4 babies is slim and I don't know if I'm willing to save myself grief over having unhealthy babies...  Thankfully my husband is so so supportive and we will be talking everything through but for now I'm wallowing in my own pity party.. I'm not ready to face this yet.
  • Options
    Oh my goodness, I can't even imagine what your going through. Please try and stay positive and keep us posted. Extra big hugs >:D<

• Options
    {Insert lots of hugs here} Thank goodness for a supportive husband.
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

• Options
    @HBamama2B  Thank you so much!!  Thats what my husband keeps saying is that we are parents and that we need to be happy in this moment and that whatever decision we make will be together and we will get through it.. I am VERY lucky to have him.  While it is going to be a tough decision either way I know I'll get through it, its just heartbreaking that we've tried and tried so hard for so long and now we have to agonize over this.. Luckily my doctor said it could be done as early as 7 weeks, at this point if we decide to do it I just want to get past it and *hopefully* have a happy 9 months with twins. 
  • Options
    Wow! I'm shocked too! When do you go back for your next ultrasound to see how all is progressing? You're in my thoughts and prayers as you face a potential, difficult decision!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    We go back in a week to see if any of them have naturally reduced.. I feel much better today after talking it through again with my husband last night. We've come to a decision that we can live with and both feel that is best for our family one way or another. Thanks for all your thoughts.. I'm sure I'll need them come decision time but as awful as it sounds im hoping nature takes this decision away from me. But I have a feeling it won't
  • Options
    vssbrmvssbrm member
    edited October 2015
    @MrsHandler Wow! Im praying that you do not have to make that hard decision. In the end you need to be able to be healthy too, other wise it was not worth it! If you have to decide or nature does what ever you do will be right for your family. You will be in my thoughts!
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • Options
    @MrsHandler congratulations on seeing a lil heartbeat! I'm praying you don't need to make any impossible decisions. I'm confused though, if there's only one heartbeat, will the other embryos develop later? I don't have any experience with this
  • Options
    @Junicek at 6 weeks there is a 50/50 chance that we would have seen a heartbeat.  At 7 weeks we should definitely see heartbeats.  If the other embryos do not have heartbeats by next week we can assume they are not viable.  I HATE wishing for that, but it would be much easier than making a decision to reduce. 
  • Options
    @MrsHandler you are in my thoughts and prayers
  • Options
    Giant hug to you @MrsHandler. It's just so hard to fathom this could happen considering we can't even get 1 to implant.....thinking of you.