Baby Names

Mairead for non-Irish baby?

Is Mairead too Irish for a baby without a lick of it in it? I love the name but I'm concerned that it wouldn't be fitting, with names in my family more from Central and somewhat-Eastern Europe.

Re: Mairead for non-Irish baby?

• You might get asked about the origin of it so it might be odd to some people that you would use it. But I think if you love it you should go for it. I'd have a lot more respect for that real name than giving your kid some terrible trendy 'bexxleigh' type name.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not even sure how to pronounce that. Or if its for a boy or girl. Seems girlish? :-?? I'm a fan of uncommon names and Irish / Gaelic names, but this one is new for me. Be prepared to constantly be explaining how to pronounce it and spell it for your LO if you use it. Maybe its a better known name in your area, but I wouldn't use it. Its a little too unknown Irish for me (and I have some claim to Irish DNA).

Best wishes for your baby, happy naming!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally, I think it's odd if you aren't Irish to give such an uncommon Irish name.

• I would have no idea that it's Irish and wouldn't know how to pronounce it. Might be a little too odd, depending on siblings' names.
  • I wouldn't side eye something like Bridget or Meave, but I do find it a bit odd when people with no Irish ancestry give their children incredibly Irish names.
  • Unless your kid's going to carry around an ancestry chart, no ones even going to know he/she's not Irish or have Irish in them.

Personally, I'm not a fan. I wouldn't know how to read that, pronounce that, spell that. Your kid would forever be correcting people
  • The name is pronounced like parade with an M
  • Don't do that to your poor kid. It's incredibly difficult to pronounce, it sounds feminine (even if it's not), and it's odd naming your child something super ethnic/cultural without a clear reason.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I liked it better when I didn't know how to pronounce it. I don't mind the Irish thing, but I don't care for that one. Plus your kid will be explaining their whole life.
  • VitaLuna said:

Don't do that to your poor kid. It's incredibly difficult to pronounce, it sounds feminine (even if it's not), and it's odd naming your child something super ethnic/cultural without a clear reason.

It's a girl's name, which is why it sounds feminine. Why is that a problem?
  • Linsbins said:

I liked it better when I didn't know how to pronounce it. I don't mind the Irish thing, but I don't care for that one. Plus your kid will be explaining their whole life.

How did you pronounce it at first?
  • At first glance I'd pronounce it May-Read. Which sounds like "married" when I say it out loud. But then, I also really don't get the ultra ethnic name for a baby not even remotely related to that ethnicity.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I immediately wanted to pronounce it "my red." I wouldn't use it but I'm not really a fan of the hard to pronounce intensely Irish names (especially if you aren't Irish).
  • It's a legitimate name, so my only worry would be burdening my child with the life long task of constantly explaining her name. (FWIW my initial pronunciation was kind of like Miriam with a d at the end)
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • I definitely knew it was a girls name, and it's not awful by any means. That being said, I think she will constantly be telling people how to spell and/or pronounce it.

What about:
    Colleen
    Sinead
    Deirdre
    Shannon
    Rory
    Quinn
    Ella
    Bridget/Bridgid
    Maeve
    Claire
    Fiona
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I actually worked with a Mairead years ago and I've loved the name ever sense. It's a little strange to use it without having an Irish background but I don't think it's that big of a deal.
  • Linsbins said:

I liked it better when I didn't know how to pronounce it. I don't mind the Irish thing, but I don't care for that one. Plus your kid will be explaining their whole life.

How did you pronounce it at first?
    May-reed if I thought about it. I mostly just skipped over it because it's too difficult.