November 2015 Moms

MeaSuring big?

So I am 31 weeks. When I went to the dr he told me I am measuring at 32 weeks. My ? Is if I continue to measure big could I have my lo a week earlier then we had planned? It will be a scheduled c-section.

Re: MeaSuring big?

• The Dr measurement could be a little off, only one week big isn't much. Is your schedule c-section on your due date? I'm a little confused by your question if it is scheduled.
  • Measuring big or small up to 2 weeks is completely normal . Baby's position has a lot to do with it but belly measurements can be off .

Something to discuss with your OB if you are measuring larger than 2+ weeks or just to see what they say

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah my doctor has always said measurements are +/-2 weeks.
  • If it was a measurement from the outside (called fundal height) no they are considered normal +/- 2 weeks (cm). If it was an ultrasound measure that would be for your doctor to determine.
  • A close friend of mine measured big her entire pregnancy. She delivered a week late. 

... of course the baby was 9 lbs 9 oz...
  • Measuring big normally doesn't mean anything. Babies grow a lot like people and there are ranges for everything. Some grow bigger, some babies are smaller. I was three weeks ahead with measuring by ultrasounds for my entire last pregnancy and still went over 40 weeks. Sometimes if you're measuring big they'll be a concern about GD but if you passed the glucose test you should be fine.
    Also keep in mind that measurements, even ultrasounds, can be off.
  • My OB won't budge on scheduled C-sections no matter how big they are as there is no reason to take them early since you won't be delivering vaginally. That's why #3 with GD was giant for me and I am starting to measure big with this baby as well. 39 weeks and not a day early for my OB as that's when lungs are likely developed and stuff.
  • My last 2 dr appointments I've measured 3 inches bigger than how far along I am, this last appointment I was 2 weeks ahead. My dr had me get another ultrasound to measure my son and he's not 'too big' and measuring fine so he isn't concerned at all. Says everyone is different and carries babies differently. He told me it could be from my uterus sitting higher than 'normal' too. He also said it shouldn't mean you're going to deliver early if your measurements are consistent, and not one week 3 weeks ahead then 5 weeks. Hope that helps
  • mmk29 said:

Measuring big normally doesn't mean anything. Babies grow a lot like people and there are ranges for everything. Some grow bigger, some babies are smaller. I was three weeks ahead with measuring by ultrasounds for my entire last pregnancy and still went over 40 weeks. Sometimes if you're measuring big they'll be a concern about GD but if you passed the glucose test you should be fine.
    Also keep in mind that measurements, even ultrasounds, can be off.

"Babies grow a lot like people" made me literally lol.
  • I measured 3-4 weeks ahead with my son starting at about 28weeks. I had a csection still at 39weeks it was not moved because of his size. I did go for a couple scans toward the end which showed some extra fluid but everything else was fine. He was 8lb 14oz
  • I am measuring two weeks ahead by ultrasound and my OB doesn't seem concerned. Just reiterated that I should eat healthy and my due date isn't going to be affected by this.