January 2016 Moms

Baby responding to touch!

After spending the morning running around, doing jobs in town, cleaning and baking, I put my feet up on the sofa and read a book. I had my palm resting on my belly, holding my book. I started to notice bub was kicking my palm! Generally kicks have been pretty low, so i was suprised it was kicking so high! I remembered hearing/reading about bub responding (by kicking) to external touch to the uterus. I thought it was a long shot, but moved my palm and pressed two fingers a few inches below my belly button, along my midline. To my suprise, bub almost straight away kicked my fingers! After a few kicks a moved my hand back to the original spot and very soon bub was kicking there again! I repeated this pattern a few times, and it was amazing! Bub responded quickly, and with such strong kicks! So amazed to be able to interact with bub like this!! Im 24 weeks tomorrow.. Has anyone else experienced this yet too?!

Re: Baby responding to touch!

• Not yet, but that's so exciting! At almost 22 weeks, I am still at flutters stage. 

• Momona1 said:

Not yet, but that's so exciting! At almost 22 weeks, I am still at flutters stage. 

Same. Can't wait!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes I love this part! 22 weeks on Sunday and she is barrel rolling and responding to touch!
  • So happy for you! That so exciting! I have no luck yet, not even with flutters :(. I just want to feel the little guy already. I'm 22 wks and a day with my first. Sending positive kick vibes your way!!!
  • That's cool! My big first yesterday was actually feeling a kick with my hand! Up until now I've just felt movement but couldn't feel it through my tummy. I'm 23w+3. Little girl is getting stronger. :D
  • Just tried myself but I think she is sleeping haha. I'm 23+6 and have recently felt movement outside my belly (with my hand), so perhaps soon I will :) sounds like an experience to look forward to!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm nearly 25 weeks and I LOVE feeling my little guy kick around. His kicks are so strong, sometimes we can see my tummy poking and bouncing out of shape, it's amazing.
  • I love this part! My son responds to touch very strongly. I work at a daycare with infants and he goes crazy when they're on my stomach. My DH always yells(jokingly) at me to leave him alone but poking and touching my belly is the only way i can interact and touch him while hes in my belly cuz he likes to kick and poke back! Ill be 25 weeks on monday:)
  • ekscoppekscopp member
    edited September 2015
    I'm only 21 weeks but today I haven't been feeling the baby move barley at all. I usually feel the baby pretty frequently and haven't been this worried. Anyone experience the same thing? Do you think I should call the doctor?
  • ambercakes92ambercakes92 member
    edited September 2015
    ekscopp said:

I'm only 21 weeks but today I haven't been feeling the baby move barley at all. I usually feel the baby pretty frequently and haven't been this worried. Anyone experience the same thing? Do you think I should call the doctor?

I'd say it's a little soon to freak out. Docs don't have moms to be tracking movement until 28 weeks because movement up until then isn't necessarily consistent. Your baby could just be having a laid back day like we sometimes do outside the womb :) or he could be sleeping! If it will give you peace of mind it doesn't hurt to call the doc, but I don't think you should worry at this point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DH works out of town and I only see him on the weekends, when he's home he loves feeling my belly when our little guy is being wiggly and this weekend or little guy will continue to kick wherever he puts his hand. I love it :)
  • Wow I just tried this and it worked!! I put my hand on different spots on my tummy and she kicked those exact spots! :):):)
  • This is my favorite part of pregnancy so far!  But hilariously, our little one only moves in response to my husband's touch!  She moves a ton on her own, but if I put my hand down on my bump she's like, meh, your hand is boring, no moving for me!  But then my husband will put his hand down there and she starts moving and kicking!  I find it cute but annoying and proof that she's going to be a daddy's girl, haha.  ;)
  • Wow that's so awesome y'all!! I'm a FTM in week 21 (flutters mostly) & I'm really looking forward to experiencing response movements how cool!
  • I'm almost 25 weeks and my boy has been doing this for a few weeks now.
    He "plays" with me- he will kick me almost like "hey mom I'm awake" I'll poke him softly back and he will keep doing that until he gets bored or goes back to sleep.
    I love it! It's the only time I feel him kicking and it'll never cease to amaze me.
    I can't wait to meet my little boy :)
  • Just had this happen for the first time tonight! So fun :D
  • I'm 23 weeks and I'm not even certain I've felt movement! Lol my MIL told me I will KNOW when it happens so I think that screwed with my mind. I've definitely felt some sensations that I'm also not certain is gas. I'm just trying to be patient
  • Yes! I'm almost 25 weeks and my baby girl knows when we are talking to her. She moves already like crazy but especially when her dad talks to her or I press on my belly. Her usual time is in the evening starting around like 6. Ever since I was able to feel her she moves so much. At the ultra sound she wouldn't hold still. My belly raises so obviously now it's so cool!
    And I don't think it's gas that's probably the baby! I thought it was gas when I first felt her.
  • I'm 23 weeks and I'm not even certain I've felt movement! Lol my MIL told me I will KNOW when it happens so I think that screwed with my mind. I've definitely felt some sensations that I'm also not certain is gas. I'm just trying to be patient

While i definitely think there comes a point where you will just know, I do think not everyone 'knows' straight away. It took me 3 weeks to decide it was definitely baby, not gas!
  • I loooved this stage with my first! This one is not responding to touch yet but I can't wait!! But then I found it pretty sad that once they are on the outside the interaction is less because they are incapable of aiming LOL
  • When I poke she kicks or punches back, it's a lot of fun. She's very active in there. It's to the point where she wakes me up at night with all her antics. Lol. She's been responding to pokes for about a week or two. I'm 23 weeks. I can definately feel her patterns. She's usually up kicking & flipping for an hour then sleeps for two or three hours.
  • I just found out I have an anterior placenta so I don't feel baby as much as you ladies are probably feeling your LOs, the tech said the closer she gets to weighing one pound the more I will be able to feel her. Should be in the next couple of weeks she said! I can't wait to feel her more often!