December 2015 Moms
Options

Finishing Up Work - When?!

hello ladies!! This is my first Bub and hubby and I are so excited!! The big question up for discussion at the moment though is 'When do I finish up work??'.. I'm a dispense technician in pharmacy and still working full time.. So I'm on my feet 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and it's really starting to take its toll!! I'm also suffering from low blood pressure so I'm constantly dizzy and nauseous.. I'm thinking of cutting down a day and finishing completely by the end of November, I'm wondering when everyone else is finishing up too??

Re: Finishing Up Work - When?!

• Options
    I'm a teacher so I'm also in my feet all day. I'm hoping to work right up to winter break which starts December 18 as long as I have no major issues. I'm due December 29th. My thoughts are I want to save as many days as possible for when my baby is here and not use them before unless I have to.
  • Options
    I'm due the 12th and will finish the week starting the 7th. Mainly because I like work and I'll bore myself with too much time off
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am scientist and I am also on my feet all day. I understand how you are feeling. After a busy 13 hour day yesterday I was completely wrecked. It's hard to admit that you need to slow down or cut back, especially when you are used to working a lot, and when your job is somewhat physical.

Personally I only have 8 weeks of leave, so I will work until the kid comes out, but I am going to try some strategies to cut back to closer to 40 hours instead of 50 or 60, and take more breaks when I can. I say stop working when you can afford to, but try to give yourself a break before then to make things easier if you can. Growing a baby is way harder than it looks!
  • Options
    I plan to work right up until I deliver, unless the doctor pulls me out. I was actually talking with a coworker the other day about who should clean the fluid when my water breaks! I only have two weeks and need it for after the baby.
  • Options
    I'm planning on working until the doctor says I can't lol
  • Options
    I'm a nurse and on my feet for 13 hours a shift. I only get short term leave that starts after I have the baby so I'm working right up until I deliver. I work at the hospital where I'm delivering so that's convenient if my water breaks at work, haha.
  • Options
    mowelt said:

I'm a teacher so I'm also in my feet all day. I'm hoping to work right up to winter break which starts December 18 as long as I have no major issues. I'm due December 29th. My thoughts are I want to save as many days as possible for when my baby is here and not use them before unless I have to.

I'm a school counselor with the same due date. This is exactly my plan as well. :)
  • Options
    Luckily I can take a month before so my last day is October 30
  • Options
    My due date is 12/2 so I'm working until 11/23, which is the Monday before thanksgiving. I work 10 hour days as an SLP in acute care so I'm on my feet a lot but I only work Monday's/Tuesday's so it's pretty manageable. I'm planning on taking 17 weeks total and I obviously want to spend as much as possible with LO and getting her big sister used to the transition.
  • Options
    Teacher here and I'm trying to make it to winter break. Ours starts Dec. 18th! Not due until the 30th but I'd like to make it to break time.
  • Options
    I'm allowed 8 weeks off prior to baby's expected due date, so I gave my last day as Nov 11 (Due dec 26.) I'm moving the first week of November, and my job is extremely stressful right now. So I can't wait to get away from it!
  • Options
    I'm allowed 8 weeks prior and planned to work until 4 weeks prior (originally 2 weeks prior buy my Dr suggested I might enjoy more time than that). I went down to part time this past week (I'm an Early Childhood Educator and work as a Nanny) as the kids started school, but now my employers decided to further cut my hours. I'll be taking home more $ on my maternity leave than I would be working with such little hours, nevermind the savings in gas from going to and from work multiple times, so my DH and I decided taking the full 8 weeks makes the most sense. So I've got about 6 weeks left!
  • Options
    I am also a teacher (preschool for students with special needs) whose break starts 18 December. EDD is the 16th. I plan to work until I can't since I recently learned that my maternity leave includes our holiday/non-work days as well.
  • Options
    I'm a nurse so after a few 12 hour shifts I am super tired! Hopefully working till 37 weeks as long as everything goes well
  • Options
    I'm hoping to make it to 38 weeks.  I'm due Dec 5th, so that will put me the weekend before thanksgiving.  Then I'll be getting of 6-8 weeks of maternity leave depending on how I deliver and then I'll take 6 weeks more of vacation time to be off with my son longer.  
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and will be working up until a month before my due date. While It would be great to save the days until after, I'm already exhausted and feel that if I'm not sleeping I don't want to be teaching kids. They need me to be as close to 100% as possible. My two preggo friends at work are doing the same. Also, I like the idea of having the month before to mentally prepare and prepare the house more. I'm just too tired after work to do everything now! I give you all credit who are working that close to your due date!!
  • Options
    I have to deliver in Colorado, about 7 hours away from where I live, due to baby needing surgery after birth on her little heart. So I'm not due until December 18th, but because of my knowledge of Midwest Winters, my last day of work is going to be November 1st so I can pack up and get to Colorado between blizzards :)
  • Options
    Teacher here. I'm working until little man comes out. Our break starts dec 22nd and I'm due the 10th. Saving as many days as possible for after he's here.
  • Options
    I'm due December 12 and work 12+ hour shifts, 4 to 5 days a week as a patient care tech at the hospital where I am delivering. I plan to work until the day the baby is born unless I am placed on bed rest. I want as much time off with my little guy as possible, I don't want to use it before he is born unless ordered by my OB.
  • Options
    I will be working up until the minute I go into labor :(
  • Options
    I'm due Dec. 2nd but have a scheduled csection for November 25th. I'm a kindergarten teacher and plan on working to Thanksgiving break.
  • Options
    I'm a teacher, and due December 29th...our winter break begins 12/18 so I plan on working up until then!
  • Options
    I want to take off the 23rd of November, I'm due Dec 5th but I'll probably just end up working till I go j to labor, unless my doctor tells me other wise.
  • Options
    I'll be working up until the baby is born. I only get 12 weeks and want to use them with the baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I work retail and, unfortunately, my maternity leave isn't paid. So, the husband and I decided that I should just quit my job since daycare is so expensive. It's not worth it for me to work, there at least, because it would cost more to put him in daycare then I make. I'm going to take the first three months after he's born to spend time with him and then we will evaluate if I need to get a part-time job at night to help with bills. Luckily my husband is a programmer so he makes decent money. We also decided that my last day would be the week right before Thanksgiving/Black Friday, mainly because I do work retail and it's always crazy for that month leading up to Christmas. I recently graduated so I will be looking for a job in that field during those three months.,
    mc April '14, September '14
    chemical pregnancy February '15

Rainbow baby EDD 12/19/15
  • Options
    I work admin and work 9hour shifts one day a week I have a 12 hour shift. By mid day my back is killing me. I know it sounds silly compared to all you ladies on your feet all day... But it is really taking a toll on me. Thank gosh for heating pads! So I'm hoping to be able to get a sick leave before mat leave and be done by Oct 30th.
  • Options
    ssn109 said:

I'm working until I go into labor. I picture myself in court, having to ask the judge to continue the hearing we're in the middle of holding. When the judge asks why, I'm going to have to say it's cuz I'm in labor. I'm really hoping it's one of the really uptight male judges so he's really uncomfortable :))

Haha this was definitely my fear last time. Luckily I am not going to court these days but I would have loved to have seen a judges reaction.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I substitute teach, and we are moving about a 3 hr drive away 2 weeks after baby's due date. Hubby isn't home during the week, so I will have to pack everything myself. My last day will be the Friday before Thanksgiving break, so I'll have nearly a month to pack and get ready for baby and moving.
  • Options
    Another teacher here. I'm due Dec 2, but get the week of thanksgiving off. ( my due date is the Tuesday after we go back) I'm tempted to not go back after the break, but I want as much time as possible with the LO so I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do.
  • Options
    Another teacher! DD is 12/4 but I think c-section will be schedule for 11/30. We have conferences the week before which is the Monday and Tuesday Thanksgiving week, and I'm trying to decide if I do them or just let my job share partner do them without me. Conferences are from 8am-8pm so that'll be a long day at 38 weeks 3 days.
  • Options
    Im due the 23rd and will likely have my last day be the friday before (17th) be my last day and just use vaca days for the 21st through 23rd. My company shuts down from Christmas eve tthrough new years so if Im late I wont be risking more days of vaca. But i'm hoping that my doc tells me to stop working earlier because then it counts as short term disability and i dont have to use vaca days.
  • Options
    My due date is 12/16 so I'm finishing up on 12/4. Was trying to work all the way through until my co-workers pointed out how big I'll be and how difficult my commute will be! Another co-worker also reminded me I'll want to use the extra time to prepare meals to freeze for once baby comes. All this being said though I live in NZ and we have a really generous maternity policy so I'm not worried about using a couple of weeks before bubs comes!
  • Options
    I am also cutting Down a day/thinking of finishing late November due to low blood pressure and always being dizzy and tired! Do whatever works for you. Some people say I'm leaving work too early and I just nod and smile. Except I don't smile.