October 2015 Moms

Anybody else on this crazy train?

*Disclaimer: Not trying to upset or offend anyone that has gone through something tragic or make light of mental illness just trying to get the thoughts in the open and hopefully out of my head and I tend to deal w/most things through humor so while the subject matter is serious I try to see the comedy in having these messed up thoughts to get past them. 

I consider myself a fairly sane but tend to get morbid thoughts in my head randomly and particularly surrounding big life events

Example: The day I drove back home for our wedding I was terrified of getting in an accident and thinking of how tragic the headline would be "bride to be dies on her way to wedding" and the pictures of my car mangled and all my last minute decorations/dress strung out on the road....

I've had various bouts of similar thoughts throughout my pregnancy. Tonight my husband is going to Thursday Night Football Chiefs vs. Broncos. I am so excited for him to go and know that he needs to go have fun. But...I can't get these thoughts out of my head about something happening to him and again picturing the headlines of "Expectant father dies tragically at football game" etc...

I've also done this after leaving a drive thru with food and thinking of how sad that would look to have french fries scattered everywhere (guilt maybe?)

Why do I do this to myself...please tell me other people picture morbid news headlines too? 

Re: Anybody else on this crazy train?

• I do this too! I did it on my graduation day, I do it pretty much everytime I'm in a car now too. Maybe it's our brains way of trying to cope with the stress of expecting?
  • I get this too. It used to be really bad. Whenever my husband went away long distance I thought stuff like he is going to have an accident and how would I cope and how the funeral would be. I just wish I knew what causes this anxiety. I learned to focus my thoughts and be more rational.
  • Loading the player...
  • I do this too.. you are not alone. I think it's just our brains way of coping with all the stress.  ;)
    ~~ October Siggy Challenge - Amazing/Horrible Pregnancy Costumes ~~

Image result for pregnancy halloween costumes

IAmPregnant Ticker
    FTM - Oct. 22, 2015
  • I do this too. I have been told this kind of thing is a manifestation of anxiety and I totally believe it. Especially now that we are having our third, those sorts of thoughts run through my head about something happening to me, my kids, or my husband.

Someone did warn me that if they become more vivid or lead to anything similar to panic attacks or if I can't get them out of my head to talk to someone about it. The same hormones that cause post pardum depression can also cause past pardum anxiety. And those things actually can start late in pregnancy, not just after you have the baby. If it starts preventing you from living your daily lives or going about normal actvities, make sure you let someone know.
  • I've done this for as long as I remember. Honestly, I think mine stems from losing my father on Thanksgiving day when I was seven. When I saw him the day before, he told me bye and that he loved me. I told him that I would see him after we had lunch. We got the call at lunch that he had passed away. Unfortunately, I was just old enough to partially understand what happened, but young enough that no one thought I would understand it. My brother got therapy since he was older, I didnt. Since then, anything that I'm looking forward to, I have the "mind's eye" vision that something tragic happens before the event.

Fast forward a couple years and I do this every time I am anxious about anything. HS graduation, college graduation, first day at a new job, wedding, all through my first pregnancy, heading to the hospital to have my first son... I have it daily when I get in the car to take DS to school. And I really think this is why I am so anxious to get LO born. I have daily anxiety sessions where I may have just finished a kick count but swear that the baby has died because I can't feel his movements. I know that it is just my subconscious playing games and that everything will be just fine. I've spoken to both my PCP and OB regarding my thoughts, and since they don't overpower the rational part of my brain, we just keep an eye on them. I'm high risk enough that I don't need to add an anxiety medicine in the mix, too.

Definitely let your physician know that you have this anxiety, as only they can determine if treatment is needed. And, of course, make sure you talk it out! If you ever need someone to just bounce your irrational fears off of, let me know. :)

Definitely keep an eye on yourself PP, and do NOT be afraid to ask for help. I had PPD and anxiety really bad, and they were able to give me a med compatible with BF.
  • I have similar thoughts. Mine is more when I'm driving if I see someone trying to bob and weave in traffic or driving super fast I have flashes of wrecking. Always quite bad like I swerve to avoid someone and I barrel roll my car with the kids in it. It rarely happens when I'm alone unless I'm pregnant but I do have those things all the time. I tend to get quite anxious when I'm riding in a car someone else is driving. I'm learning to handle that better but its rough.
  • I'm the same way. It is morbid and I've noticed it's worse during high stress points in my life.

Noticed your reference to the football game, do you live in the Kansas City area? I do, live in Liberty, work in KC.
  • I'm the same way. It is morbid and I've noticed it's worse during high stress points in my life.

Noticed your reference to the football game, do you live in the Kansas City area? I do, live in Liberty, work in KC.

@Cupcakesandquilts me too! Except reverse that: work in Liberty, live in KC! Small world :)
  • OMG I do this and found it's gotten worse the last few weeks. Glad I'm not alone!
  • I've been doing this since I was 7!
  • leighann1 said:

I'm the same way. It is morbid and I've noticed it's worse during high stress points in my life.

@Cupcakesandquilts me too! Except reverse that: work in Liberty, live in KC! Small world :)
    Live in Edgerton (south of Gardner) and work in Overland Park! Baby/Mama can't take many more games like tonight. F
    Ridiculous!!!
  • I do this, too, but more when I'm worried about other situations in my life. I had a small case of PP anxiety after having DS which included me having frantic visions of his stroller accidentally rolling into traffic, car accident, choking, etc. I was also terrified of letting more than a few people around him because of germs. The anxiety eased up after a few months.

On a different note, DH knows a guy from college who was actually killed in a car accident a couple of hours before his wedding. People showed up to the church ready for the wedding and were greeted with the terrible news. I didn't even know the couple and I cried for days for them.
  • This is a common symptom of anxiety, sometimes called "intrusive thoughts" (not the newspaper, just the imagining horrible things). It can happen to anyone under pressure (and happens to me, too), but if these thoughts obsess you in a way that is interrupting your day-to-day routine or lead to other bad thoughts, you might want to consider mentioning them to your OB or talking to someone (I did, and don't regret it. :) )
  • My hubby went to the game too! He was sulking when he got home awwww.....We are in Shawnee :D
  • So after all my worrying he got home about 2. They got hit trying to leave the parking lot and the other driver took off...maybe i'm borderline psychic haha. Minor damage to our friends car and no one hurt (other than Chiefs Kingdom egos...ugh stupid Broncos)
  • I couldn't even say aloud half of the intrusive thoughts I have, haha! DEFINATELY not alone!