September 2015 Moms

Cervical dilation and the LEEP procedure

So, I just got back from the doctor. She did a cervical check to see if I'm dilated. Because of the LEEP that I had, I have some scar tissue that made it very difficult for her to find and then check to see if I'm dilated.

I'd really like to know other people's experience with cervical dilation and yhe LEEP procedure. Did the LEEP make it difficult for your cervix to dilate? Did it keep you from being able to dilate at all? Did you have to be induced because of it?

Thanks for sharing!

39w FTM

Re: Cervical dilation and the LEEP procedure

• FTM, I had a LEEP two years ago. I dilated just fine. I was induced at 38 weeks because of BP, but going into it I was 2-3cm and 75% effaced. I dilated normally in the hospital and had no problems. From what my doctor said, it seemed like the scar tissue was a bit of a rare thing, hoping it doesn't happen to you and that you will dilate just fine too. Good luck!
  • Ah, this made me feel worse! I hope things start to open up on their own.

Thanks for sharing your story!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm being induced Saturday I'm about 90-100 effaced and only 1 cm she thinks the scar tissue is stopping me from dilate and I have gb so that's another reason we don't want to go too late I will be 39 4 days with my first I was 3 and 50 from 36 weeks and kept dilating each week I'm worried that this time I won't dilate even with help but just being over paranoid doctor assures I will be fine
  • I have GD too. My doctor says she wants to induce me next week, but only if my cervix is dilated a little bit. But what if it doesn't dilate because of scar tissue? I feel so stressed.
  • I am not dilated at all.
  • That happened to my friend! She was having major contractions but not dilating at all and they finally figured out it was the scar tissue from her LEEP years before.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Okay, so what happened to her? What did they end up doing?
  • The cervix will dilate, it may just take longer or the doc may have to break up the scar tissue during a cervical check. Often the cervix will be unchanged for a while during labor then suddenly make a big change suddenly when the scar tissue breaks.
  • I'm sorry!! Didn't mean to make you feel worse. Don't worry, even if it is an issue, they will notice it fast once your in labor and they will clip/break the scar tissue band. My friend who is an L&D nurse said its really fast and not that big of a deal. Sending positive vibes your way!
  • Aw thats okay! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I'm just ready for this baby girl to be out in the world. ;;)
  • I had a LEEP procedure before my 3 kids. First time I didn't dilate and was 4 days overdue. My water broke and they gave me pitocin to make me dilate. Normal vaginal delivery. Once I had her I was no longer considered high risk. Second baby came two days early while I was 6cm at my weekly appt. A total shock! Third baby (born yesterday), I was 2-3 cm for 4 weeks and got induced at 40+6. All very different experiences. Good luck to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a LEEP about 8 years ago and so far I have dilated 3cm and am 80% effaced...so things are happening down there, but my due date is Sunday and no signs of labor yet. Not sure if it's due to the LEEP or just what my body wants to do right now. Good luck!