September 2015 Moms

Shellac manicure- for labour?

I'm 38 weeks and got a shellac manicure done today. When I got home my mom said that you need ur nail beds clear to check
For oxygen levels... So if u need an epidural or c section they need to be clear. Anyone else hear that? Ugh

Re: Shellac manicure- for labour?

• Definitely didn't hear that, just got mine done today as well- 39 weeks
  • Just had a csection...don't remember them checking that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes I was told this by the hospital (I had a scheduled csection), they can also use your toes. But I remember with my first child, which I labored with and ended up with an unplanned csection, I had a dark polish on my toes and it wasn't an issue.
  • When I've had surgery and gone under anesthesia this was true but I have heard it's not the same for an epidural or c-section. I would double check with your doctor but I think maybe it's a "the way things used to be" kind of thing or maybe she's just thinking since they want to be able to see your nail beds during surgery and a c-section is a surgery it's the same. FTM so I don't know for sure... will be asking my doctor at my appointment tomorrow though since I plan to get shellac done as well this week. :)

Origami Owl Independent Designer 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a nurse and I don't take polish off. Some nurses will, but from everything I've ever read any changes are not clinically significant (sometimes not even half a point on your reading), if there were changes at all.
  • Nope didn't have any of that and I had a fresh mani
  • I had a fresh gel mani during labor and wore the oxygen/pulse contraption on my finger the entire time. I think you're good. They didn't say anything to me about it.
  • I'd be more worried about having long nails with a newborn. I cut my nails down all the way hours after my son was born because I was afraid of stabbing him with them. Plus the baby nurse said having long nails was like germ heaven (under your nails) and it was better to just keep them short until baby was older.
  • I'm a nurse. Worse comes to worse they can use your toe or your ear with a pediatric sticker one. No worries, bigger fish to fry :)
  • When I had surgery, they told me they don't care about that anymore because they use special monitors now anyway, so you should be fine, mama!
  • I have a lot of surgeries and have never had an issue with nail polish. I know it used to be an issue back in the day.

• I'm actually going to do that tomorrow! Haha 38weeks and I'm over this pregnant thing!!!
    Good luck gals! :)