High-Risk Pregnancy

Antiphospholipid Syndrome / Hughes Syndrome

Hi, not sure where to post this.

Does anyone else here have APS and is pregnant?

I'm from New Zealand and this condition is not widely accepted yet here.

But really just wanted to find people with experience having APS through TTC and pregnancy.

Or any recommendations on what forum to actually post this question in?

Thanks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My Chart ::::: My Blog
Married since July 2008
MC Nov 2011 || MMC Jan 2013 || MC Jun 2013 || Baby Boy April 2014 || MMC Dec 2014 || MMC Apr 2015
Diagnosed Jan 2016 as having been infertile due to scarring since last MMC.
Diagnosed 2016 with Lupus.

Re: Antiphospholipid Syndrome / Hughes Syndrome

• I am currently working on my 3rd IUI, but I have APS.  I am currently on baby aspirin and will start Lovenox injections once I am pregnant.  Growth will be closely monitored by MFM as APS (also known as anti-cardiolipin antibiodies) can cause growth problems.  Will you start Heprarin/Lovenox?
  • Thanks for your reply @bsckgb7 :)

Sorry I only just noticed as I usually browse on my phone and it doesn't notify me for some reason.

Good luck for your IUI! Wishing you the very best :)

I am currently on baby aspirin. My OB mentioned heparin but that he didn't think it was any more effective :( I feel we are a bit backwards in New Zealand when it comes to treatment for APS. He just said we'll start with low dose aspirin and see if that works, if not, we'll look at other options (possibly heparin and prednisone or something). There was no mention of Lovenox.

When I get pregnant they will also monitor growth. My MMC's all had weird growth issues so that's definitely a problem for my body.

Fingers crossed for you!! :)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Married since July 2008
    MC Nov 2011 || MMC Jan 2013 || MC Jun 2013 || Baby Boy April 2014 || MMC Dec 2014 || MMC Apr 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • bsckgb7bsckgb7 member
    edited September 2015
    Nellennium - Lovenox and Heparin are both blood thinners (personal preference with docs here).  Lovenox stays in your system for 24 hours (so once a day shot) and Heparin last for 12 hours (twice a day shot).  The high-risk OBs will keep me on Aspirin and ADD Lovenox (switch to Heparin close to delivery since it metabolizes faster).  So both.  I would push for the injections.  Do you remember which letter was positive? There is M, G & A.  There are more risks than just growth restrictions with APS.  

ETA:  Also sent you a PM
  • NellenniumNellennium member
    edited September 2015
    Thank you @bsckgb7 for your PM, much appreciated x

Sorry I don't understand what M,G and A mean?

My results look exactly like this (I just noticed the bold 'A' on the 1st one, is that what you mean?):

1st lot: Antinuclear Antibody (ANA) Pos 1:160 A, ANA Pattern: Speckled
    2nd lot: Antinuclear Antibody (ANA) Pos 1:320, ANA Pattern: Speckled

1st lot: Lupus Anticoag DRVVT 41.0 sec (32-47), no lupus anticoagulant detected
    2nd lot: Lupus Anticoag DRVVT 36.1 sec (22-41), DRVVT Screen: 1.6, DRVVT Final Ration: 1.8

1st lot: PTT 33.2 sec (23-31) A, APTT borderline

There's lots of other results but I think those are the only ones that matter?

ETA: I have a healthy boy, during my pregnancy with him I bleed in the 1st Tri and hemorrhaged in the 2nd. I also swelled up a LOT at the end of the pregnancy and had a complicated birth and recovery. Are they the other risks you mean? No one would explain why I had problems.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Married since July 2008