Pregnant after a Loss

HCG and Progesterone

nerdymama15nerdymama15 member
edited September 2015 in Pregnant after a Loss
I had a MC back at the end of February.  I have PCOS.  So you know my hormones are all out of whack.  So the first pregnancy they did not test hcg or progesterone levels. When I MC'd I asked them about progesterone and was told that they did not put women on that unless they helped them get pregnant.  I was like wtf.  

When I called to make appts for this pregnancy I asked to be tested.  They did not tell me I needed to be, but I told them I wanted to be.  I went in today for my first blood draw.  My hcg was 460 and the progesterone was 8.9 which the  nurse said was really low and needed to be 20 or higher.  So they are putting me on progesterone pills that i have to insert down there.   She said that it should help keep me pregnant, but that there is no definite guarantee that even some ladies on it still can MC.  I hope this progesterone works. 

Anyone on here had a successful previous pregnancy on progesterone?   Just wondering.  Hoping for some hope.

First Pregnancy
  • BFP: 01/25/2015
  • EDD: 09/28/2015
  • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
  • EDD: 05/25/2016
Baby Born
04/15/2016

PGAL

Re: HCG and Progesterone

• wilkat2009wilkat2009 member
    edited September 2015

Hey there, first let me say I am sorry for your loss.  I had three mc (2 last year and 1 this year).  With the first mc, the started me on progesterone when I started spotting and it didn’t prevent the mc.  With the last MC they didn’t start me on progesterone until a few days after my BFP.  In just a few short days my progesterone had dropped and I ended up losing the baby. 

With this pregnancy, they told me to start the progesterone (100mg orally at night) 3-4 days after I ovulated.  I have been taking it every night since and I am now 13w2d.  From what I understand, if the reason you are mc is because of the low progesterone then the supplements will help, however if the mc is a result of other things (genetic abnormalities) then the progesterone will not prevent a mc from happening.  

I am convinced that the reason I kept losing my babies was because of low progesterone.  It really of makes me angry that I had to go through 3 losses before they finally had me start taking it after ovulation.  I feel like I could have avoided a lot of heartbreak by taking it soon.  I am however very thankful that they finally figured it out and I am hopefully getting my rainbow baby.  I am praying you are getting yours too.

• My doctor doesn't test hcg or progesterone. But, with this pregnancy, I asked to test the hcg and they did. At 5w5d, I think it was around 10,000. He didn't test my progesterone, but started me on vaginal progesterone also and said it couldn't hurt to do them if it gave me piece of mind. So I took them until 13 weeks. Baby is now 18 weeks and doing well, but I can't say it is because of that since my levels were never tested and I have only had one loss and one previous healthy pregnancy. I wanted to warn you, if you have a sensitive cervix like me, the vaginal progesterone can cause bleeding. Like, I ended up with a pocket of blood visible in ultrasound just above my cervix from it. I passed a blood clot which prompted the ultrasound. So, if something similar happens to you, with no cramping, obviously call your doctor to check it out, but know it happened to me and baby was wiggling around and healthy. I spotted or bled from two days after I started taking it at 5w5d to around 10 weeks which did not help my anxiety.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry about your previous losses. I had a missed miscarriage in may at 8 weeks. They told me there was no really explanation as to way that it just happens sometimes. I am now 5w5d and went to my first appointment on Tuesday. I had to ask my doctor about putting me on progesterone while he was okay with if it gave me peace of mind and so far it has. I have to have an ultrasound in 2 weeks which will be close to the time we lost our last so just taking this little pill makes me feel like I am at least doing something to help my little bean stay in place. Keep up posted you are in my thoughts and prayers :)
  • I had a MC back at the end of February.  I have PCOS.  So you know my hormones are all out of whack.  So the first pregnancy they did not test hcg or progesterone levels. When I MC'd I asked them about progesterone and was told that they did not put women on that unless they helped them get pregnant.  I was like wtf.  

When I called to make appts for this pregnancy I asked to be tested.  They did not tell me I needed to be, but I told them I wanted to be.  I went in today for my first blood draw.  My hcg was 460 and the progesterone was 8.9 which the  nurse said was really low and needed to be 20 or higher.  So they are putting me on progesterone pills that i have to insert down there.   She said that it should help keep me pregnant, but that there is no definite guarantee that even some ladies on it still can MC.  I hope this progesterone works. 

Anyone on here had a successful previous pregnancy on progesterone?   Just wondering.  Hoping for some hope.

I took progesterone for the first tri due low progesterone, mine kept dropping and my dose was upped a couple times. My progesterone never got above 12. Normal is above 10, mine got as low as 9 or 8 ( I can't remember now)
    I am 30 weels now.
    The progesterone maintains the lining of the uterus, so the supplements will only "keep you pregnant" if low progesterone is what has caused your previous mc. I don't want you to be misled by what the RN said.
  • I have heard different things about progesterone levels--like it can fluctuate during the day and that the only real way to know is an endometrial biopsy. That being said, just taking the supps would be easier perhaps. I had my 2nd opinion tell me that I lost my viable pregnancy bc of low progesterone, then went back to doc #1 who said he didn't believe that. I think most MCs, you just don't know. I still drive myself crazy sometimes about it, but then say, You will never have an answer.

I have had to use the progesterone in oil shots bc of my vaginal sensitivity and I much prefer it, if you can imagine it. I think docs view it as "can't hurt" for most. Good luck!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • I had 4 miscareges, my Dr was at a loss as to why they kept happening. So she started me on progesterone and baby asprin. That very next cycle I got my bfp and he is now a happy healthy 19 month old boy! I'm currently 4 weeks pregnant and keeping my fingers crossed it helps again this time. Good Luck!!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersAnniversary