March 2015 Moms

Adult TV

I was wondering if anybody knew when to sort of monitor what the babes are watching. I keep the tv on most of the day for background noise. Most of it harmless stuff. But I do use the mornings to catch up on things like Fear the Walking Dead and the like. He doesn't even usually pay much attention. But I was just curious when I should really start to monitor what's on the screen.

Re: Adult TV

• I do the same thing because constant quite freaks me out. I was wondering the same thing.

BFP 7/4/2014 EDD 3/9/2015
  • There is an interesting podcast that just aired on Ted Talk Radio about "screens" and they talk about the scientific evidence - very interesting - I'd definitely recommend checking it out- my take-away is that no screen time is best to a certain age (no definitive #) but if they do watch it should be really really slow and uneventful (aka Mr Rogers)
  • Loading the player...
  • I also subscribe to the no-screen-time theory. I make exceptions for football (soccer) and cricket, and if we happen to be watching a cartoon I won't try so hard to keep her away from it. I find she gets very easily distracted by the television so I'd rather her not see too much until she's old enough to realise what it is
  • If it's just for the noise, do you think listening to podcasts or the radio would serve as a good alternative? I used to be the type that kept my TV on because I hated the quiet, too. But then I just kind of stopped. Don't know if that would be at all a good substitute.
  • I have the tv on a lot during the day for noise as well. I will usually put it on the music choice channel and we'll listen to music while playing. Sometimes I have TV shows on but its too hard to actually sit and watch them with a 6 month old so I don't see an issue. Maybe when he gets older and pays attention to the TV but for now he's too interested in everything else in the room/house.
  • SharLovesAlexSharLovesAlex member
    edited September 2015
    I admittedly watched when he was a newborn because he slept all day. It was a great time to catch up on GoT and whatnot ;) But now that he's older, he pays more attention to the television, so I stopped turning it on during the day. Occasionally if he's napping, I might try to catch a show, otherwise I don't turn it on til he's down for the night. I'd rather not risk it, he pays too close attention to it if it's on (like if he wakes up at night and it's on when I sit with him in the living room).

• We don't even have televisions any longer. They are in storage. My husband has a computer he lets me use in the evenings but it's in a far separate room from the baby. The radiation from the screens can damage their eyes, REM sleep cycles, and can cause brain tumors and blindness. 

If you really love your baby, you can not be selfish for just a little while and put your televisions away. 

Can I just say that sometimes I agree with you but most of the time you are such a mean sanctimommy to everyone. Why are you so much better than everyone? RUDE

• happybabe123happybabe123 member
    edited September 2015
    Quote fail: Am I destroying my child's brain by letting her watch got?
    ------------------
    Yes! Just think how devastated babe will be when they see the Jon Snow scene

• I have worked very hard to find my center and my inner peace. I'm sorry for you all that you're not there yet. But you can get there, too, if you're willing to try. Hope that helps!

If you are talking to me, quote me. 

Rude

• I was talking to you but you're obviously a very angry person. Namaste. 

I'm not angry. You just don't know my life. I have three babies to take care of and their dad and our horse farm and the horses' pet dogs. I don't have time to do crap like yoga. And I don't have time to track down your responses. 

edit to add: and I'm pregnant again. I was going to make a special thread for that but you made me spill it here. so rude.

• It's totes okay!!

I make my kids watch SoA gotta make shure Jimmie learns how to be a bike rider guy and lil savannah learns her place as old lady!!

I think it's sooooOoo important thay learn theez values very young. But pleez don't put on GoT for them u dnt wanna turn them into a homosexual. Can't be sayin the "g-werd" around theez parts.